• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

TURN SIGNALS ?!?!? Aftermarket / Modified......

Ya, it took me a weekend... now, I could probably do in a day. THere were A TON of learning curves....lol

It's scary to start chopping OEM parts when you don't even really know if the thing is gonna work in the firstplace...

But it worked... I went from confused, frustrated, and furious... to the most pround NC owner in the San Fernando Valley...lol

I get stopped by people all day, every day, asking me what the hek I'm riding ?!?! THey love it... THen I tell them that it doesn't normally look like this...

QUESTION: Are the running/position lights legally necessary, or is it just an added safety feature?

There is also FMVSS regulations a manufacturer must comply with............ that states colors, size, brightness, distance apart and distance from other lights to name a few.

Check your State's law(s) on that. The AMA offers a website summary, here (choose your state from a drop-down menu toward the bottom):
State-by-state motorcycle laws

Ok, so from what I have read on the CA DMV site and these other references, the position lights are not legally mandated to be present. THere are, however, many guidelines on the locations and positions of additional lighting such as position/running/fog/accessory lighting.

I was just trying to think of an old chopper or something, and if they only had the one headlight upfront. But I have never owned one...

I may want to go with the same lights I have in the rear, in the front....And just be all blacked out... or have the position lights in front..... I'm leaning toward the position lights for safety reasons..... ya, I'll get that one.....

kellerman running light.jpgT Signal.jpg

Last edited:
DOes this increase te current draw, or does it simply function normally with the small 3 watt draw?

It des not increase the current draw at all, that is why it is better than using big resistors... The IC inside the flasher relay module is factory programmed to use the standard automotive 70 flashes per minute. Then, they installed an optional shunt resistor inside the module, connected to pin #7 of the IC. The only purpose of that shunt resistor is to measure the current draw from two regular bulbs (front and rear) and speed up the flashing rate if current is below its programmed threshold.

If you remove pin #7 as I described in my "How-to", you just disable that current sensing "feature" so the relay will flash steady 70 times per minute, even with 0 watt (no load).

FWIW, the current sensing shunt resistor on pin #7 is not used while using hazards, that's the reason why your flashing rate is normal on hazards.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Well jay tnks for the info..... I found the thread for it....the bike.is comn along looks great. I wana due something similar with my signals. I.found some on cyclegear.com similar to the.ones you used that are.plug and play come wired with resistors.....has anyone tried anything like that.

Well jay tnks for the info..... I wana due something similar with my signals. I.found some on cyclegear.com similar to the.ones you used that are.plug and play come wired with resistors.....has anyone tried anything like that.

Yes those work, but you will negate any power gained from switching to an LED. If it's simply for a better look, go for it. I didn't want to add resistors because I have an aftermarket horn setup on the same circut.So I needed loks, and super low power draw...

I wish I had recorded a step-by-step, because installing it does require you to do a bit of customizing/cutting and chopping of the OEM parts.

Not to mention, their are no real instructions. And, the little instruction included is in French, and says nothing about modifying any stock parts to make it fit.
Until I read this thread I was very keen to get one of these tail tidy kits. But now that I see how difficult it is to put on I'm kinda leaning toward keeping the stock tail for a bit.

It's work... but it was well worth it for me. If you do not have a lot of personal tools, and are not mechanically inclined, you could always take it somewhere to be worked on. I could give you some tips on things that are going to have to be cut and chopped. It took me a while because I had to make certain of which pieces had to be cut, and exactly how much I was going to cut, before cutting it...lol

But I am so happy with the results, I would never bring it back to the stock look.... I met a guy at a biker spot on PCH the other day. He was riding a Harley, but approached me because he had bought an NC for his work commute. Dude was DROOOOOOOOLING over my NC mods....lol. He was even grabbing his Harley buddies and having them take a look at my NC....

He wrote down everything and took pictures....

Last edited:
Showkey is correct, the Honda signals are a bit pricy. Have you change a front blinker yet. Well, being short, fat, ugly, and the king of drop, I have had the honor of changing my front blinkers. Lots of work. I believe the only thing I didn't have to remove was the oil drain plug. These small units really look good on the rear, but I can not find anything but Honda OEM that will work on the front. Remember the fronts are running lights also.

KellermannRhombusPLBlack.jpg

I will be installing the these as soon as I get another $200 to spend....lol
Same as my rear signals, but with integrated running light....

Last edited:
It's work... but it was well worth it for me. If you do not have a lot of personal tools, and are not mechanically inclined, you could always take it somewhere to be worked on. I could give you some tips on things that are going to have to be cut and chopped. It took me a while because I had to make certain of which pieces had to be cut, and exactly how much I was going to cut, before cutting it...lol

I guess I'm just nervous of cutting up my beautiful machine. - Perhaps I'll feel different when I get that first scratch :) - But you're right. It looks awesome and the other tail tidies just don't hit that level of sleekness.

Well, I finally did it. I went with a similar set up as MR. Fridays. I went with the Bike master turn signals white led running light in the front with yellow turn signals and integrated brake light with the rear turn signals. Was not able to get ma hands on a fender eliminator through Chaparral motorsports.....so i fabed my own from some sheet metal I had laying around looks great. $80 for each turn signal pair. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Back