• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Throttle sticking

werdigo

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed Oxford Heaterz grips and had a little trouble with the throttle side. Still an inch or so out, and concerned about the Superglue that had been liberally applied, I held a piece of wood against the outer end and rapped it with a heavy wrench. It moved in that final inch and seemed (seems) to be fine, and the bar end and Givi handguard are now reinstalled, but I'm finding that the throttle does not return to zero when released. I don't know if the new grip has anything to do with it, but its wire (not yet secured with cable ties) is still hanging loose and surely doesn't hinder twistgrip movement.

Any suggestions? I was surprised several times on yesterday's ride when I released my right hand and there was no change in RPMs.

EDIT: I loosened the Allen screw on the bar end, and the throttle snaps to its closed position. It seems as if the bar end weight is pinching the rubber on the outer end of the heated grip. As I recall, these grips are a bit long for the 700X, even when trimmed to the maximum amount permitted. Mine are totally stock, not trimmed at all. I'm not averse to carving off some of that rubber, staying of course out of the electric region.

EDIT #2: I now believe I simply did not get the heated grip on fully. The white nylon lip on the throttle slider is visible --- the new grip does not fit over it. There's maybe 1/4" of white nylon visible between the grip and the black plastic ring to the brake. I doubt if there should be any gap here. Well, I'm not planning to try to remove and reinstall the throttle-side heated grip. Maybe some kind of thin spacer...

Last edited:
While installing my oxfords a few months back I seem to remember that you can trim the outer ring, which is sort of split in two. I am sure that will help with the binding.

Thank you, Midnight. That was exactly the solution to my problem. Here's a photo that shows the outer ring balanced on a note card to clarify exactly what was trimmed.DSC01170c.jpg

Thank you, Midnight. That was exactly the solution to my problem. Here's a photo that shows the outer ring balanced on a note card to clarify exactly what was trimmed.View attachment 33353
For future reference you could also have added a washer to the inside of the bar end weight. I just removed a couple from my bark busters and I'm going to put one back, custom fit for my cheap-O-throttle lock (O-ring)

Back