• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

tail of the dragon....again

As the good folks down in the hollow would say, "Well, there is a lot of twisted roads around these here parts." Stop at the small general stores and talk to the people, they will tell you the best places to see and ride.

Hollow - a small valley, as commonly pronounced in Appalachia.

SmileyRider.jpg

Last edited:
Fuzzy, all those roads are good, been on all of them. Also, a good road is NC209, the Rattler, located just outside of Hot Springs, NC.
Also, The Diamondback - NC 226A, outside of Marion NC. Remember guys, the Dragon isn't the only road down there and it isn't the best (only the best Marketing).
HWY 28 is better and very little traffic on it (if any)-I have ridden HWY 28 many times and sometimes never see another vehicle from the Dragon down to 64/19.

You're right. I just ride the Dragon to get from here to there. Other roads in that neighborhood are better than the Dragon, but compared to what I have around home, they're all great!

I liked riding The Dragon last year at the SGT, but I found the road leading to /from our campsite at Fontana Dam, more fun. I prefer
longer, more sustained curves versus a bunch of quick hairpins. I like to feel the G force in a curve. Maybe my skills aren't up to snuff
to get the full effect of The Dragon, I dunno.

I liked riding The Dragon last year at the SGT, but I found the road leading to /from our campsite at Fontana Dam, more fun. I prefer
longer, more sustained curves versus a bunch of quick hairpins. I like to feel the G force in a curve. Maybe my skills aren't up to snuff
to get the full effect of The Dragon, I dunno.
That is a very common comment of people who visit the Dragon approaching on 28. That section is known as Hellbender 28. The longer run from Deals Gap to Anderson, SC is Moonshiner 28 and in the good ole days was a moonshine route. The routes I posted above have more of what you prefer. Definitely do the Cherohala if you come back. On the other side get breakfast or lunch at Telico Bakery and visit Telico Motorcycle Outfitters for some of tbe best deals anywhere.

For all of those planning to visit The Dragon this year I wish you a great time. It is way too far away for me to consider. And since my daughter and family moved from Knoxville to San Antonio last summer, I'm not sure I will even get to see it, except via YouTube. But you have fun and keep all your parts off the Tree of Shame, or whatever they call it!

For all of those planning to visit The Dragon this year I wish you a great time. It is way too far away for me to consider. And since my daughter and family moved from Knoxville to San Antonio last summer, I'm not sure I will even get to see it, except via YouTube. But you have fun and keep all your parts off the Tree of Shame, or whatever they call it!

Mpgandfun has a part on the tree...well sort of. it is a nail that his tire decided to bring along for the trip.

Back