• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW-MOTECH CRASH BAR Problems

Imho the whole 'ptotection' bars design is laughable . No to mention the price tag for this thing.imo it will do more bad than good in case of crash landing.

I had GIVI bars on my Vstrom and they worked OK in a fall over.But for the X I 'm making my own that will protect the body work AND the sides of the radiator.They won't look as swoopy or polished as the factories one but when my bike go's down on the WABDR next summer it should survive!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"when my bike go's down on the WABDR next summer it should survive!!"

Glad to see someone besides me is planning to go down on the WABDR.

Do not go where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path
and Leave a trail.
Leave no stone unturned.

If there is anything I can do, it is turn up a lot of stones.

I had GIVI bars on my Vstrom and they worked OK in a fall over.But for the X I 'm making my own that will protect the body work AND the sides of the radiator.They won't look as swoopy or polished as the factories one but when my bike go's down on the WABDR next summer it should survive!!.

Why get rid of that bike.

Has anyone resolved their figment issues yet? These are the crash bars I intend to buy, but I'd like to know the root of all of these installation problems before I order down. How well has twisted throttle followed up with you? I had told them about my R&G radiator guard contacting and rubbing the paint on my fork clamp, response was the same, "that's weird we've never seen that, it doesn't contact on our project bike." I sent pictures by their request and then.. no response, lol.

I had sent Them an email and a link to this thread, so they could view the pictures, It took about 2 days but they did call me and sent me a FedEX return label via Email. I shipped them the bars back, I wanted to just sent the left bar back for exchange, but they required everything returned. I just received an email stating the bars were shipped, so I should get them next week sometime. I will report how they install when I receive them. Fingers crossed.

UPDATE:

Well I received the replacement bars from Twisted Throttle and tried to install today with same result as before, right side fits fine left side does not line up.

They are just a bit to far off to grind out the holes to get it to fit, So I am going to send them back and try to get my money back, Twisted Throttle has given me pretty good service.

But not impressed with the SW-Motech bars, they would be nice if they fit. I will just buy the Honda Light bar to mount my lights and think of some other type of "lay down" protection.

Any suggestions?

Before you send the bars back, maybe try PMing HONDABIKEPRO, i know he has them on his bike and well, he is a honda bike pro.. perhaps he could shed some light. Maybe contact SW-motech and see if they know of a production problem?? I want to get the same bars but now am a bit leery, I know they have worked well for some but I don't want to jump in the middle of a production issue. There are also more and more crash pads/ sliders popping up daily. I like the look of these Top Block Engine Protections - NC700Shop. but they are very pricey. In general I think that site has cool stuff for our NC's www.nc700shop.com.
Good Luck

I have the Givi engine guards, and everything fit the first try. In my Alaska crash of July 3th, the Givi engine guards did their job, my bike is back together and running again. I did repaint the engine guards. Only plastic bike parts were broken. and I was going 65 MPH when I went down. I replaced all with OEM. But, now that I know a little about the type of plastic used, I would have fixed them myself. Easy to patch and paint, and only way to tell is on the backside, that no one sees. I was able to fix all the plastic parts but one. So now I have extras, for my next crash.

MyStuff 002.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Givi engine guards, and everything fit the first try. In my Alaska crash of July 3th, the Givi engine guards did their job, my bike is back together and running again. I did repaint the engine guards. Only plastic bike parts were broken. and I was going 65 MPH when I went down. I replaced all with OEM. But, now that I know a little about the type of plastic used, I would have fixed them myself. Easy to patch and paint, and only way to tell is on the backside, that no one sees. I was able to fix all the plastic parts but one. So now I have extras, for my next crash.

View attachment 8271

Lets see how they hold up to the WABDR !!.
hehehe

Good Idea , I went to SW-Motech site and filled out a question/complaint form on the bars, and a link to this thread.

And Thanks I'll check out the GIVI's , and the sliders.

Went down going 65MPH , bet that was exciting!

Girlridertucson,
I have the oem light bar with the sw motech crash bar. Mine went in without problems

IMG_20130913_153351_688.jpg

IMG_20130913_154325_465.jpg
Ken

Last edited:
Just received a reply from Twisted Throttle that they will send me an RMA and contact SW-Motech to see if there is a problem with the batch they received, Can't beat their service, hopefully its a bad batch they made, cause I like the bars. I'll live without them for now and maybe try again in the spring. I also E-mailed SW-Motech So I'll post when they reply.

Maybe they only fit the DCT version? I have a manual, I would think the engine mount locations would be the same between the two so Honda wouldn't have to make different frames.

Has to be a bad batch. Reason why is because originally twisted throttle said the sw motech crash bars won't fit dct models. Yet, several members on here said they will and showed photos. Twisted throttle got confirmation from sw motech that it will fit BOTH models.

Ken

Both sides of my SW-MOTECH engine guards don't fit either and are off by about the same amount. I ordered them from Accessories International and just sent an email requesting an RMA.

I went to install the SW-MOTECH Crash bars today. The right side seems to bolt up fine, but the left side does not line up, the bolt hole is almost 1/4 inch off. Anyone else have this problem? and a solution?

Does anyone have an update with the fitment issue? I'm trying to make a decision of what I'm going to check off the list next. I've decided when I do get crash bars they will be the SW-Motech bars, but I don't want to buy a pair till this issue has been resolved.

Back