• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW-MOTECH CRASH BAR Problems

Panzuur

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to install the SW-MOTECH Crash bars today. The right side seems to bolt up fine, but the left side does not line up, the bolt hole is almost 1/4 inch off. Anyone else have this problem? and a solution?

100_1149.JPG

sw-motech+1.JPG

rotate+down.JPG

rotate+up.JPG

Thanks Steve

Is that plate from the bolt hole to the bar welded? I'm asking because I have the Givi bars and that plate is not welded, it's fitted to the bar with another M8 bolt, so you can adjust it...

BTW, very good you protected the clutch cable holder, I did a small tear to the engine case paint just there

I installed my sw-motech crash bars and it went in without problems. I even have the Honda light bar and everything fitted perfectly.
When I did the install I had the bike on the center stand. Don't know if it makes a difference. Mine is a DCT model.

Ken

Last edited:
0.jpgI don't care how good any welding jig is, all welds move some. Sometimes it just moves to much.

Confucius says "do not strip your bolt trying to make it stretch."

smileyconfucius.jpg

Last edited:
The bars are all welded as one piece, I tried by starting the forward bolt first also, still could not install the rear bolt. I have mine on the center stand also. And I never try to force parts to fit, that leads to more problems. If it was just barely off I'd just clearance the holes a bit. But this is off to far to do that. I guess mine are just out of tolerance. I sent Twisted Throttle an email with the pictures. We'll see what happens next.

Does anyone with the shop manual have the torque values for the frame to engine block bolts?

Steve

Imho the whole 'ptotection' bars design is laughable . No to mention the price tag for this thing.imo it will do more bad than good in case of crash landing.

Does anyone with the shop manual have the torque values for the frame to engine block bolts?

Steve[/QUOTE]

They list the torque value as 40 ft lbs.

I agree with Fuzzy that engine guards do protect the engine cases when you are given that rare opportunity to see the ground up close and personal. In this case either the metal was not arranged properly in the gig, or the heat of the weld moved the metal just a little.

in my opinion crash bars are ok if you toppled over or fall off at lower speed say 15mph etc.
the the bars to do worst damage in high speed crash even without it will still be a write off.
no bike can withstand a high impact.
the whole design of crash bar to me is way to strong.
far better for crash bars to be made of slightly lighter stuff so that it will crumple a little and not putting to much stress on the frame but that is my thought,
other's might think other wise.

Imho the whole 'ptotection' bars design is laughable . No to mention the price tag for this thing.imo it will do more bad than good in case of crash landing.
Everyone has an opinion and I'm cool with that. For me engine guards are a consumable item, way cheaper to replace than OEM engine parts and plastics.
(Not to mention, they give a great place to mount lights and other farkles.)
I would hate to pay for the damage a BMW GS would cost without engine guards in place.

Thanks for the torque spec Spaceteach.

Status update. Twisted throttle replied to my email quickly so + for that , but they basically said that's weird never had a problem before , make sure the bolts are loose. I thought the first reply would be something like that, to be expected. So I sent them these pictures with my assumptions and descriptions.
I bolted the bars together with a 0.5" threaded rod ( .50" diameter holes) so the top bracket holes are collinear, and the bars are parallel sitting on the bench ( which is level). I would assume the frame mounting holes in the engine block are collinear, so the holes in the bottom bracket flanges should line up ( also collinear) , My assumptions could be wrong. so I took measurements and can verify they are not in line. But it can be seen the left bottom flange is further aft and higher than the right bottom flange, ( aft is to the bottom of the "top" pictures.)

If someone has a set uninstalled and is very bored, maybe you can take some measurements to see if they are the same as mine.

top 1.jpg
top 2.jpg
front.jpg
table level.jpg
bottom flanges level.jpg
rightside.jpg
left side.jpg
right height.jpg
left height.JPG
bottom width.jpg

Yep I installed mine last week, and got the exact same result.
Muchly agitated, I just drilled out both holes, and gained enough slack to get them on there.
For the price we pay for this stuff you'd think it would fit properly.
I meant to contact SW Motech about it, but haven't.
RobN

Like Old Can Ride says, it looks like a warped bar due to welding.

You can either swap them out for another pair, and hope they fit better, or get them mounted in your vice and set to with your lead mallet or block and big hammer.

Definitely looks bent to me. I see 2 of you have had the same problem, might be a QC issue. Having some kind of protection is better than not having any at all.

Back