• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stuck at work

Olythom

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to bug you all but I am stuck at work with my shop manual at home. Hoping someone can give me some ideas before I get my wife to tow the trailer into town to get me.

I have been commuting almost every day without issue. This morning, bike started up fine. 25 miles to work with no problem. Parked the bike for about an hour and then went out to start it to run an errand.

2015 DCT... Kill switch in off position.. Turn on key... display lights up (seems proper, shame on me for not paying more attention to it when it was working).. Gear Selection indicator is consistent flashing bar.... Move kill switch to "run".... very weak sound from Fuel Pump (definitely not the normal audible level - I have to kneel down next to the bike to even hear the sound)... Start switch does nothing (no sound)... Gear Select indicator gives me 5 long and 2 short flash..

Is that 5-2 a failure code? and if it is, where does it point?
Thanks in advance. >Thom
BTW.. Checked battery (12.7v) / tightened battery connectors (ratchet/socket) / Removed battery and took it to the shop down the street who said it was marginal on a load test / purchased and installed new battery (pre-charged and sitting at 12.5v) / voltage drops very slightly (.1v) when key is switched on. It doesn't feel like a voltage problem right now.

Last edited:
DTC 61 - Clutch - no oil pressure, pressure sensor malfunction, faulty clutch oil circuit, or linear solenoid valve or its circuit malfunction.
Not much you can do without proper testing. Sorry.

Edit:
DTC 52 - Neutral switch stuck ON or OFF.
Loose or poor contact.

Last edited:
Lootz.. Thanks for the speedy reply. Looks like I will be trailering it home today. Kind of funny that the fuel pump is so quiet during start-up but it is not indicated by the fail code. Also interesting that the 6-1 talks about pressure, pressure sensor, and oil circuits but the bike is not even running at this point.
>T

Because didn't pass a self-test.
Did you try to start engine while applying the brake lever or pedal?

OK... Sorry about the misinformation. The code is actually a 5-2. I was mis-reading the last of the long blinks. I am gettting 5 longs and 2 short flashes.

Editing initial post....

Alright. I have become the latest victim of this problem. I see others who have similar issues. After all that listed above, I went back out to the bike while my wife was on her way into town. I sat on the bike, and raised the sidestand. THEN, I tried the handbrake / starter combination and it started !! I suppose that means it did not know that it was in neutral, correct?

Shut it off and back on and the flashing persisted. Started it again with the brake lever. Shifted to 1st and back to neutral a few times without problem. Shut it off and back on and now the flashing has gone. Error code has vanished. Bike starts normally.

The only thing that bugs me at this point is that the fuel pump start-up still sounds quiet. Even with my helmet on, I can usually hear the fuel pump start, but not today.

Gremlins....
Thanks for being here guys.
>T

Lootz. Thanks again. You nailed it with the 5-2. Now that I know what it is, it's easy to see why using the brake lever/ start switch did not work... because I still had the sidestand down...
>T

Lootz. Thanks again. You nailed it with the 5-2. Now that I know what it is, it's easy to see why using the brake lever/ start switch did not work... because I still had the sidestand down...
>T
So is it running now or was that just the reason you got that specific code and your still stuck?

It is running now and the the flashing bar and the error code are all clear. I would guess that the neutral switch / connector/ wiring was having a problem and the bike did not think that it was in neutral. Sidestand up/ hold front brake / hit 'start' button got the bike going and , after a few cycles of 1st gear/neutral/1st gear/ neutral, the codes cleared and Skookum is skookum again.
>T

Can you explain this:

... Kill switch in off position.. Turn on key... display lights up (seems proper, shame on me for not paying more attention to it when it was working).. Gear Selection indicator is consistent flashing bar.... Move kill switch to "run"....

How did you stop the engine before you got stuck?

I am one of those strange americans who stops the bike, switches to neutral, and then hits the kill switch, finally shutting off the ignition switch.

I noticed in a couple other forum threads that those of you on the other side of the pond usually shut it off with the ignition switch.

As noted in those other forums, my instructor in motorcycle safety class talked about using the emergency kill switch on a regular basis so that, in case of an actual emergency, it would be your first reaction. It's just habit now.
>T

I think that you forgot to switch to Neutral before shutting off with ignition switch. My advice - change your habit. Forget kill switch with DCT.
In theory this shouldn't be a problem. But after this 6 years and 2 DCT bikes I see that Honda has design flaw with gear shift system. Combination of gearshift drum, linkage and shift motor in relation to transmission gears position, DCT can stuck in gear if system is not forced to neutral before power is shut off (shifter pin or shift motor problem that's another story). Honda put "practical" advice in owner manual if something like this happen - "move the motorcycle back and forth slightly", which is laughable, even if it might work. They know that is a problem.
What happened to your bike today it maybe the beginning of problems with Neutral switch. DTC 52 was for a reason. PCM could disengage gears in prestart function but N switch was still off. Check connections and be ready to replace switch.

As far as shifting any bike while parked........
If you coast into a parking spot with the manual trans in 3rd gear............and hit the kill switch. You will have the same issue..........you must rock the bike forward and backward while shifting to get the bike into neutral.

There are multiple posts on DCT and accidental hitting the killswitch while under way in a higher gear. Cycling the key and rocking the bike is known fix.

Last edited:
Back