• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stock Seat

The pictures look wonderful. So do the custom seats.

I am just wondering, if we buy new advanced bikes (compared to the 70s or 80s), and these new ones come with sportier seats and sportier engines, don't we just have to first accept them?

If it is really such a bad and unacceptable thing, then modify the seat or look for a custom seat. End of story.

If this does not really work out, will it be too much to say sarcastically "go back to your older more-comfy bikes, why upgrade and complain about the new stuff"...kind of thing"?

Of course, I am just voicing out my thoughts. To continue to say the new bike new seat are so bad compared to the old bikes old seats, is like bashing the new Mustang for poor seats (while still insisting to buy it) and say the old one is so much better. If it was so much better, then stick with the old Mustang.
:p

PS: I don't think a wide baby-arse craddling seat will "look right" on the NCX, but to some, function overrules looks.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I have done by having my seat altered and a gel pad inserted. Your sarcastic comment (your words) about going back to the old bikes doesn't hold water. I can only speak for myself but the reason that I buy modern bikes is for all the other advances that have been made.. In all honesty if we had the space to store it I would buy a 70s bike just for the fun of it. I would also love a 60s Brit bike.By your own admission you didn't ride 70s bikes so can't really comment on their comfort. You will notice others that were riding in those days agree that the seats were really comfortable.
The other thing I loved about 70s bikes was the fantastic colour options that they came in compared with todays boring plain colours

I just randomly took 2 pics from the internet.
One is an old version of the CB500, while the other is a newer version.
I assume they are standard seats. (dont hang me on this, if they are not)

I do think the "older" seats look much more roomy and comfortable. The new one sort of locks your position in and it is thinner, etc.
With the newer design, the seat looks surely more aggressive (or sporty) compared to the old one.

I am sometimes a nut for nostalgia although I did not live through those decades as a biker. I love the chrome, the flat seats and so on.

However, I still say this, we should not and it is not fair to compare older bike seats with new bike seats. They are just not the same design and not of the same era.

For example, the Triumph Bonneville / MotoGuzzi V7 (new but retro look bike) has the same kind of seat as an old bike.
Comfy or not? I don't know. They sure look good though.
:D

Cb500_71_76work_part.jpg

sehr-gepflegte-honda-foto-bild-60830137.jpg

However, if one is to compare a similarly styled bike (made in 1970/80s and one made now 2012), then I think it is possible that seats made today are also not so comfy as yesteryears. Is that a fair assumption?
But I had thought materials and seat designs would have progressed instead of regressed?

Last edited:
I don't think they have "regressed".
The seat on my 82-CB750F was a killer as was the seat on my 01-R1150R.
I think factory seats have come a long way, for instance take the first Goldwing seat and compare it to todays GW. Different bikes of today for sure, but the seat design is much more advanced.
BMW's I believe had the first adjustable in height seat and now both Honda and BMW have seats that come heated from the factory. Almost all seats today are something more than a square foam block.

No doubt seat material has improved with Gels and numerous types of foams and most likely manufacturing has become less expensive with a much wider range of fabrics and plastics. Most of your vintage seats had a metal base with the cover attached with rivets. Today it's plastic and glues that also weigh much less.

Factory's builds bikes and seats for the masses, they may skimp on a better seat to offer a better suspension but that just allows for aftermarket seat builders to prosper as well as suspension builders and every other component on a bike.

It's all a matter of preference, some think the NC seat is just fine for them and their uses. We are lucky that we have so many options.

Don't think of them as "wings" think of them as your mothers tender hands caressing your buns as when you were a baby.:cool:

Here ya go,
a87f15e3.jpg
[/QUOTE

That seat looks so inviting!

I certainly wouldn't want to spend all day on the seat of the NC as standard. Even my crossrunner seat gets uncomfortable at the end of a 600 mile day. It seems that with exception of the big tourers such as Wings BMWs on so on bikes are designed for for short day trips and for comfort over long distances.Maybe it was back in the 70s a lot of people were still using their bikes as a serious means of transport (at least in the UK they were) and not just as leisure items.
I think that for comfort over long distance the best bike I have owned was my '73 R75/5 with full avon fairing fitted

Last edited:
I am also having issues with the seat. When I move back to a comfortable position my bottom is over the back of front seat pan. There is an edge there and it does not feel good. It is the back of the front pad pan.

There is a large co-relationship between seats with wings and large chicken strips. Nothing wrong with that, mind, just saying.

Sounds like a plan. "Is anyone else experiencing a problem with being saddle sore after their ride?"

Yep. 6,2 240lb. I would start feeling discomfort after 1 hour, contant shifting/readjusting after 2 hours. I ended up buying an AirHawk 2 (under $100 USD) and I use it when I know I'm going to ride for more than an hour.

Hey guys i'm 6'6 and 250 pounds and the stock seat is the equivalent to a block of concrete. Numb ass would be an understatement!!!!! Picking up my redesigned seat in the morning. Raised an inch in the front to flatten out the seat a little and gel inserted in the middle right where my tailbone sits. Never did like the slippery dip effect sliding down from the back of the seat to the front crushing my jibbletts in the process!!!:)

this is what i'm considering too.
how did it work out for you?
any pics?
thanks

I am 6'5" and ordered a new Corbin, should be here in the next week. I will let you full figured gals know how it works.......................

Back