• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stock Seat

Quit the bitching, how many bikes have you owned that had a great seat from the factory? Everyone is different, where bike shorts, not "padded diapers", work for some a sheepskin may works for others.

If you can stand the seat pay Russell or Mayer a visit and buy one of the best seats out there. Then you can bitch about how it looks.

Rant over. :)

Suzuki GT750 for one Honda Goldwing Aspencade for another. It seems that 70s & 80s bikes had the best seats

Quit the bitching, how many bikes have you owned that had a great seat from the factory? Everyone is different, where bike shorts, not "padded diapers", work for some a sheepskin may works for others.

If you can stand the seat pay Russell or Mayer a visit and buy one of the best seats out there. Then you can bitch about how it looks.

Rant over. :)

Maybe I will try the sheepskin and when I am done riding the NC I can use it as a toupe. "A small hairpiece to cover partial baldness" Do you think I get get it in salt & pepper?

It seems that 70s & 80s bikes had the best seats

Rocker66, I certainly have to agree with you there. I had a 1982 Suzuki GS850G with a great seat. Rode that bike for 16 years and never once considered any need to modify the seat.

Greg

Rocker66, I certainly have to agree with you there. I had a 1982 Suzuki GS850G with a great seat. Rode that bike for 16 years and never once considered any need to modify the seat.

Greg

Gentlemen.....during that time, the bikes did have wonderful seats....
here was the BIKE I was riding then....

320px-Raleigh_chopper.jpg

I still believe it is the bums which changed over time....and not the seat "technologies"...
:p

Seats have completely changed since the 70s & 80s. In those days they tended to be wide and plush whereas todays bikes seem to be sportier. In those days Suzuki seemed to be the masters of seat comfort. As Greg says his GS850G was really comfortable. To had to experiance them to appreciate how comfortable they were

Maybe I will try the sheepskin and when I am done riding the NC I can use it as a toupe. "A small hairpiece to cover partial baldness" Do you think I get get it in salt & pepper?

How about one of these? - Flair Hair® Visor, The Original Visors With Hair - Free Standard Shipping on all Novelty Hats for your bald spot and keep the sheep on the bike?

My 74R90s has the best factory seat I've tried, that is the only bike where I didn't get the burn. I've got a Russell on the FJR and that's the best money I've ever spent on a bike accessory.

It seems Russell gets great reviews everywhere I turn. I was wanting to get extra seat pans to send them, but when winter hits I may have them do mine anyway. I'll keep the wing a little longer.

It seems Russell gets great reviews everywhere I turn. I was wanting to get extra seat pans to send them, but when winter hits I may have them do mine anyway. I'll keep the wing a little longer.

I was able to get a group discount through the FJR Forum, might ask around or call them up and beg for a break.

I could go for this! I may have them put heat strips in the seat just for giggles. I liked that feature in my Jetta TDI.
Should we start a Day Long Thread?

DIAMOND CUSTOM SEATS

diamondseats.com

Finest Quality - Comfort - Service
For more than 33 years.

People often spend extra money for extra quality. Designer sunglasses, gold watches, fancy shoes... quality products which actually don't perform better than than their lower-priced alternatives. That's ok. But to a real long-distance motorcycle rider, there's a much more important part of the anatomy than wrists, eyes and feet. It's the BUTT!
Even the most expensive motorcycle is supplied with a factory-stock seat that was built only for the "average" rider. One-size-fits-all. And our happy clients found out all too soon that they are NOT average. Sore legs, sore back, numb tailbone, and other discomforts are common among bikers.

And that's where DIAMOND CUSTOM SEATS comes in. For more than 33 years, we've been building high-quality, high-comfort seats for the serious rider. And our list of enthusiastic customers, as well as our product line, is enormous. Each custom seat is built to your own personal dimensions, and your passenger's, using the finest materials to guarantee you a lifetime of long-distance comfort.

Click on our PRODUCTS button, and find the seat for you.

Your butt will thank you... for miles and miles.

From their website, it said the vinyl was more durable. Why get the leather?

Custom Motorcycle Seats and Touring Saddles - "Day-Long" Touring Saddles and Motorcycle Seats by Russell Cycle Products
Seat Cover Choices
We offer four choices of material combinations for "Day-Long"¨ Saddle covers:
1.All Vinyl: The most durable, weather resistant and generally carefree choice, and offers the best color match for most stock seat cover colors.

2.Velour Inserts: Vinyl sides with 100% nylon velour inserts in the saddle area, where the riders come in direct contact with the cover. This combination offers the most "breathe", and freedom from perspiration problems. It is quite durable, very resistant to sun fading, comes in some attractive colors and produces a good looking seat.

3.Leather Inserts: Joins the durability and color selections of vinyl for the sides of the Saddle with the luxurious feel of genuine leather in the seating area. Leather is easier to keep clean and more water proof than velour, and being a naturally porous material it "breathes" better then vinyl. Protected from the elements and periodically treated to restore its natural oils leather will outlast even the heaviest vinyl.

4.All Leather: For the connoisseur of fine, richly appointed motorcycle accessories this is the only way to go. The additional effort required to protect, clean and condition an all leather Saddle is a small price to pay for the soft, supple, luxurious feel and appearance of genuine leather.

Vinyl is only the most durable if you don't maintain it. Their description of leather explains pretty well why I always choose it. I treat mine with Aqua-seal silicone twice per year and I cover it in the rain. You need to cover the vinyl seat also in order to keep rain from soaking through the stitching and giving you a wet butt for the next three days. It really is not that much effort to maintain.

Consider if you had a vinyl fake leather jacket and a real leather jacket. Which one would last longer? Which would feel better? If I was spending the money for a Russell I would not think of stopping at vinyl.

Best of both, mine has vinyl sides with leather inserts on top.
I've got a close up around here somewhere but this should do;

c7c60471.jpg

Only reason I need to get off now is for gas.

Good point Bemmer, I have a couple leather jackets that are probably 15 years old and they still look great.

richarddacat, what brand seat is that?

Back