• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

sporatic Check Engine light

Garydj

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had my 8000 mile service done yesterday. While I was there I told them about my Check Engine light that will come on for 10 to 20 miles, then go off after stopping the engine. It would then not come on again for several miles before coming on again.

They said they could not get it to come on during the service. Sure enough, as soon as I pulled away from the dealer it came on again, so back I went. They got a code of 86 I think he said and tried part of the recommended checks and reset the code. On it went again after leaving the dealer, so I came home and called them. They are going to check with Honda to see what is recommended and schedule me back in.

This morning I needed gas, so went to fill up. I noticed that the gas cap felt "strange" as I took it off. It seemed harder to turn than it usually does. And after filling up, the light has not come on again so far.

I'm wondering if the cap may have been misaligned somehow and caused a vacuum leak in the system. Could this has been the issue with my intermittent light? Time will tell I guess.

I just had my 8000 mile service done yesterday. While I was there I told them about my Check Engine light that will come on for 10 to 20 miles, then go off after stopping the engine. It would then not come on again for several miles before coming on again.

They said they could not get it to come on during the service. Sure enough, as soon as I pulled away from the dealer it came on again, so back I went. They got a code of 86 I think he said and tried part of the recommended checks and reset the code. On it went again after leaving the dealer, so I came home and called them. They are going to check with Honda to see what is recommended and schedule me back in.

This morning I needed gas, so went to fill up. I noticed that the gas cap felt "strange" as I took it off. It seemed harder to turn than it usually does. And after filling up, the light has not come on again so far.

I'm wondering if the cap may have been misaligned somehow and caused a vacuum leak in the system. Could this has been the issue with my intermittent light? Time will tell I guess.

I had a code 86 a few days ago after I wired up a sat nav .... I rechecked all the wiring, removed a switch I added in line and also found my positive battery terminal needed to be tightened up as a lil loose. Have not had the light come on since. Check yours as you never know the battery terminals might be loose.

The code 86 in the service manual says it is related to the display cluster unit and wiring.

I did manage once to get the cap screwed on ****-eyed - only one of the tabs was in the filler neck (if that makes sense). Didn't generate any codes but I could smell the gas after short ride from gas fill up to home. Since then I make sure to push it all the way down before turning it.

Just heard from the mechanic at the dealer. He confirmed that the code is related to the display, although I did seem to count a code of 95 once. He did not think that was even a code.

From what he is saying, if it is display related, it won't leave me stranded somewhere, although I could be without a speedometer if something goes out.

I'll check the leads on the battery, as I do have a GPS connected there.

Edit: I just checked and the positive battery terminal was loose. I would have thought the dealer would have checked that. It's tight now, so we will see.

Last edited:
Just heard from the mechanic at the dealer. He confirmed that the code is related to the display, although I did seem to count a code of 95 once. He did not think that was even a code.

From what he is saying, if it is display related, it won't leave me stranded somewhere, although I could be without a speedometer if something goes out.

I'll check the leads on the battery, as I do have a GPS connected there.

Edit: I just checked and the positive battery terminal was loose. I would have thought the dealer would have checked that. It's tight now, so we will see.

Hopefully thats the cause. The terminal can work it's way loose from vibration I would think. Last time I had touched the battery I had added an Optimate lead and that was almost a year ago. My sat nav connects to the Optimate lead when I need the power for it. I have all plugs running into storage area for ease of access.

I think I can put this one to rest. Thanks TC3. I have gone 124 miles since tightening the positive terminal on the battery and the check engine light has not come on once! Here's another example of how helpful this forum is. Oh, and I got 77 MPG on this last tank. I love my NC700X!

I think I can put this one to rest. Thanks TC3. I have gone 124 miles since tightening the positive terminal on the battery and the check engine light has not come on once! Here's another example of how helpful this forum is. Oh, and I got 77 MPG on this last tank. I love my NC700X!

Yaay! Great to hear it was hopefully just a really minor thing, Gary :D

Just wanted to thank you guys. I was having the engine light problem as well. I looked it up here, saw this thread, went out and checked. Sure enough, loose positive connector. I've put a couple hundred miles on since without the light coming on. Thanks!

I would also like to thank you for this info. You just saved my day.

Today at around 5am I was already halfway to work, on a bumpy road.. when my ignition cut out for a millisec, headlight went off, and speedo display disappeared then all came back again..
with an engine failure on the display.

When I stopped and realized I couldn' t call anyone so early in the morning i started google whether anyone else had this sort of problem, and I found this thread.

Quickly checked the battery connection. Of course it was loose. Tightened up, since then everything works as intended.

Big Big Thank you!!!

I would also like to thank you for this info. You just saved my day.

Today at around 5am I was already halfway to work, on a bumpy road.. when my ignition cut out for a millisec, headlight went off, and speedo display disappeared then all came back again..
with an engine failure on the display.

When I stopped and realized I couldn' t call anyone so early in the morning i started google whether anyone else had this sort of problem, and I found this thread.

Quickly checked the battery connection. Of course it was loose. Tightened up, since then everything works as intended.

Big Big Thank you!!!

Not sure there is a motorcycle rider in the world who has not delt with the lose battery cable at one time or another..

Back