• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Some one explained to me my bike has no power.

This is why I made the statement that the NCX has tamed me. I have been riding legally since I was 16 and I'm 50. I have a little bit of riding experience. Do I have the self control to stay off the throttle? Not Yet? I could sit here and tell you all day long I can control myself but once I'm on that rocket there is no telling what I'll do. The power seems to take control of me. I love the power. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation. I wish I had it but it is probably a good thing I don't. My wife was very happy to see me trade in my CBR. I have no idea why. ;) I’m pretty much forcing myself not to buy a ST1300 because I know the NCX is good for me.

This is why I made the statement that the NCX has tamed me. I have been riding legally since I was 16 and I'm 50. I have a little bit of riding experience. Do I have the self control to stay off the throttle? Not Yet? I could sit here and tell you all day long I can control myself but once I'm on that rocket there is no telling what I'll do. The power seems to take control of me. I love the power. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation. I wish I had it but it is probably a good thing I don't. My wife was very happy to see me trade in my CBR. I have no idea why. ;) I’m pretty much forcing myself not to buy a ST1300 because I know the NCX is good for me.

My first car was a VW Jetta... Test drove both the naturally aspirated engine (2.0) and the 1.8 turbo.
Told the dealer that I could afford the Turbo just fine, but unless it came with some sort of coverage to pay my speeding tickets and insurance hikes for me I couldn't afford the outcome.

Had a remarkable similar experience when it was time to trade in for the Imprezza, that time I didn't even tempt myself with a test drive of the turbo...

That being said, I've never had an issue with either car (or the NC for that matter) pulling out of a stoplight so fast that I'm a 1/4 mile up by the time the cars next to me start moving. There have been a few occasions where there was some one who I didn't trust being near me in traffic who I knew had more power/acceleration than I did, there is a simple solution to that as well, rev your engine up a few times like you want to race, and some one who has been driving like a moron in a supercharged vehicle will always bolt off the line in that situation and you can simple roll off slow and smooth knowing that they are well removed from your general vicinity.

The ST1300 isn't nearly as quick or as fast as a CBR1000RR but it has a headlight you can adjust vertically. The knob is on the instrument panel left of the tach.

Yes, the ST1300 calls to me too... but the NC is my mount... for better or worse, and it does many things well.

I just had to have that "you need power to get out of trouble" conversation once again this week with some bozo at a bike shop.
Reality is recently I was riding on my 250 and an idiot not paying attention on the other side of the road ended up locking up his brakes after not noticing the stopped traffic in front of him. I knew that if he came off his brakes he was coming at me as his steering was hard locked my way. I really wanted to disappear with a twist of the wrist out of his path, it would have helped to be on a powerful bike for sure.

The juxtaposition of that though is I know the MANY times that having too much power has got me into trouble.

I agree on the importance of having *enough* power to accelerate away from oncoming danger. That being said, I have ridden 150 cc (owned) and 250 cc (friend's) before. I always found even those small engines, especially the 250 cc's, had sufficient acceleration at slow speeds to skoot away from any threats. Only at higher speeds do they become shy on power; however, at higher speeds I have always rescued myself by merely maneuvering (swerving) or braking.

I recently sold my Vespa GTS. It has a 278 cc engine, and delivered on 21 HP. However, I was always able to out-accelerate most cars at an intersection (except Porche, etc). Equally so, its braking was as aggressive as many performance cars.

I've pretty much come a perfect full circle with my motorcycling career; starting on slow little dirtbikes and working my way up to faster dual sports, then to small slow streetbikes, small fast streetbikes, medium slow, medium fast, medium outrageously fast, large outrageously fast. Eventually back to faster dualsports, then a small slow streetbike, a medium size sport touring machine, and now last, my NC700X.

As much as I fondly recall the knee down racing, the adrenaline rush of litrebikes and Turbos, and spending most of my time on the back wheels, I know in reality it just wouldn't be the same anymore. I'm trashed physically, my mindset isn't there anymore, and I have a lot more to lose now, and darned well know it, versus ignoring it before, lol :eek:

That's pretty cool.
What's even more amazing is you could take a pic at red line and 3,000 miles an hour!

Sweet. I'm going to take a stab at it. I'd guess he is taking the photo while traveling about 150mph. LOL.

It was quite obvious that this guy does not understand what he is talking about.....Not very many bikes have over 100 HP and the only one I truly know that does is the Triumph Rocket series.....Michael

I don't know about HD power rating but I am certain there are a number of BMW bikes making over 100 HP. Up to at least 160 HP.

Fun, I'm sure, but probably a little exhausting on a long ride.

I used to go on 5-6 hour rides. I never really got tired. Lay on the tank, put my feet on the passenger pegs and if my left hand dig go to sleep I'd just cross my right hand over to grab the throttle and let my left hand hang. No worries. Riding a passenger is a different story. They are always leaning on your when stopping. That can wear your arms out. Multi day trips? Never did it. When I was stationed in Europe I was surprised to see many large sport touring bikes on the Autobaun or Autostrada. They were more popular it seems. Probably because they were flying down the road over 100mph.

I have to admit though. I do like sitting upright.

The ST1300 isn't nearly as quick or as fast as a CBR1000RR but it has a headlight you can adjust vertically. The knob is on the instrument panel left of the tach.

WOW!!! Based on that image, you were doing 150 MPH with the 7% Seedo Error (Factory Error). So your actual speed would have been 139.5 MPH with the indicated 150 MPH.

I used to go on 5-6 hour rides. I never really got tired. Lay on the tank, put my feet on the passenger pegs and if my left hand dig go to sleep I'd just cross my right hand over to grab the throttle and let my left hand hang. No worries. Riding a passenger is a different story. They are always leaning on your when stopping. That can wear your arms out. Multi day trips? Never did it. When I was stationed in Europe I was surprised to see many large sport touring bikes on the Autobaun or Autostrada. They were more popular it seems. Probably because they were flying down the road over 100mph.

I'd like to give one a long test ride, or maybe something a little more sedate, like a VFR. I had an old GS500 that I put cafe style 'clubman' bars on that was surprisingly comfy. The windblast on a naked or near naked like that seems to help take the pressure off your wrists... you're right though, passengers were a nightmare with them.

That said, sitting in a showroom, it always seems so extreme... too bad they don't allow test rides.

trey

I've done a couple two up multi day trips on my CBR600RR without too much issue, and traveled several days myself on my old 1000RR. It's not what you ride but how you ride; hoping the NC becomes the new tourer, however.

Mike

Just came back from the grocery store, 12 year old on a fix gear bicycle said "I like your ride."

Everything is better from the perspective of a 12 year old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
I had a kid ask if I wanted to trade as I was at a stop light. I just laughed and then rode away. Its definitely in the eye of the beholder.

My FJR I believe had 145hp. I think the statement "riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow". The nc is not slow it just has no power.:)

The NC is slow compared to a friend's weestrom (the bike I actually wanted), but this thing was thousands less, and after all the additions I'm still in the bike less than a new weestrom. It gets almost twice the gas mileage too. Now for fun I do have the FJ1100, its got enough pep, and easily abused. I was hot rodding around last year and came into an unexpected switchback corner and couldn't slow down enough to make the turn, locked the wheels up and went down. Took me a year to get the nerves back to ride it, and I ride it easy these days. The NC is more fun I think, my '79 gs550e has always been a ton of fun to ride, something about that "more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow" thing.

Back