• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Utah

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm out in Utah; flew in and rented a car, not riding. I can see why this is a favorite place to ride. Im coming back with my bikes. Fingers crossed as my wife was picking out great roads for "me " to ride...hoping she joins! So we were at the Belly Of The Dragon trail and a guy rolled up on an HD PanAm. We got to talking about his bike and riding in Utah. Nice conversation and we both went on our ways. We got back to the car and the rider was mounting his bike as we got back to the car. He takes off down hill toward a trail and I lose sight of him. I hear the engine of his PanAm Rev really high then nothing. Knowing he likely went down I got out and checked. Sure as heck there he was pinned under his bike. Anyhow, he was uninjured and I was able to get the bike lifted off of him. Funny how we wind up exactly where we are supposed to be at just the right time. The PanAm is a heavy son of a gun especially in sand!

Efied. Sorry for all the typos, I was typing on my phone without my glasses.

Last edited:
I'm out in Utah; flew in and rented a car, not riding. I can see why this is a favorite place to ride. Im coming back to ride. Fingers crossed as mynwife was picking out greatbroads for "me " to ride...hoping she joins! So we were at the Belly Of The Dragon trail and a guy rolled up on an HD PanAm. We got to talking about his bike and riding in Utah. Nice conversation and we both went on our ways. We got back to the car and the rider was mounting his bike as we got back to the car. He takes off down hill toward a trail and I lose sight of him. I hear the engine of his PanAm Rev really high then nothing. Knowing he likely went down I got out and checked. Sure as heck there he was pinned under his bike. Anyhow, he was uninjured and I was able to get the bike lifted off of him. Funny how we wind up exactly where we are supposed to be at just the right time. The PanAm is a heavy son of a gun especially in sand!
Glad you were there to help the HD guy. The story possibly illustrates two points that I’m already aware of: that many popular “off-road“ bikes are too big and heavy, and riding alone (in sand) could have bad a bad outcome if things go awry.

Enjoy Utah!

I'm out in Utah; flew in and rented a car, not riding. I can see why this is a favorite place to ride. Im coming back to ride. Fingers crossed as mynwife was picking out greatbroads for "me " to ride...hoping she joins! So we were at the Belly Of The Dragon trail and a guy rolled up on an HD PanAm. We got to talking about his bike and riding in Utah. Nice conversation and we both went on our ways. We got back to the car and the rider was mounting his bike as we got back to the car. He takes off down hill toward a trail and I lose sight of him. I hear the engine of his PanAm Rev really high then nothing. Knowing he likely went down I got out and checked. Sure as heck there he was pinned under his bike. Anyhow, he was uninjured and I was able to get the bike lifted off of him. Funny how we wind up exactly where we are supposed to be at just the right time. The PanAm is a heavy son of a gun especially in sand!
I live in No. Utah, there some fantastic places to go and see in So. Utah.
Beautiful country.
Enjoy your stay.

My wife and I have ridden through 4 of the 5 National Parks in Utah, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and Zion plus a bunch of other attractions like Monument Valley (where we slept in a tipi lol) and Grand Staircase Escalante back in 2004 on our 2003 Triumph Bonneville. I also rode to the Bonneville Salt Flats on my way back from California in 2014 on my ST 1300. It's a stunning state to ride a motorcycle in.

4c0EH3fh.jpg

I do not remember any Belly of the Dragon's Trail?

My wife and I have ridden through 4 of the 5 National Parks in Utah, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and Zion plus a bunch of other attractions like Monument Valley (where we slept in a tipi lol) and Grand Staircase Escalante back in 2004 on our 2003 Triumph Bonneville. I also rode to the Bonneville Salt Flats on my way back from California in 2014 on my ST 1300. It's a stunning state to ride a motorcycle in.

4c0EH3fh.jpg

Its a hiking trail outside of Kanab in So. Utah. So, no motorcycles allowed.

Ahhh that explains it. I don't hike I ride lol

Exactly. If you look on a map, the offroad trail that is directly behind the parking lot of the Belly is where he went down.

Ahhh that explains it. I don't hike I ride lol
They have something for everyone. We did a lot in Zion. Strolled along one trail and climbed to the top of Scouts Lookout; which is not technical hiking/climbing but holy cow was it a butt kicker.

The strolls are as beautiful as the more challenging trails, each with their own merits. This is one of the most beautiful places I've seen. Very unique. We've hiked about 35 miles since Saturday with thousands of feet of elevation. I'm feeling it. Rest day tomorrow with a guided ATV tour in Moab.
Glad you were there to help the HD guy. The story possibly illustrates two points that I’m already aware of: that many popular “off-road“ bikes are too big and heavy, and riding alone (in sand) could have bad a bad outcome if things go awry.

Enjoy Utah!
Thank you and we are!

Today, at Capitol Reef, I locked my keys in the rental car. Middle of nowhere, literally, and no cell signal. I know how to open a door with hanger. Never realized how hard it is to find a wire hanger. A very nice French Canadian couple had an rv parked behind me. When they returned I asked for a hanger but no dice, only plastic. A few minutes later they came out with a fly swatter with a wire handle and I got it open likely split. We met up coincidentally on a trail later in the day and got to talking. Turns out that the lady's grandfather practiced medicine with my wife's grandfather in Montreal! Like I said earlier, it's funny how people wind up exactly where they are supposed to be.

Enjoy Utah!
I don't know anything at all about riding in dirt, but it sure seems you are spot on with heavy bikes being a no go in some offroad conditions.

4c0EH3fh.jpg

We’re doing all but the Grand Escalante staircase.

I love Utah as well, never ridden the MC out there though. Always packed up to camp, hike, and MTB.

Back when I had my GS single my dad and I took a shortcut (in FL). He had his old FLH and we ran into miles of Florida sand. Now that's a big ADV bike. He forded through since we'd gone too far to turn around.

Back