• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Brinkhouse ..

There is something about those Shinko 705's ... just looks great on the NC

12297519436_e64384499c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Added Sw Motech crash bars, drag specialties highway pegs and Advmonster light brackets. Would have put on my lights but my Amazon led spot lights literally fell apart as I was trying to install them.
adusare2.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Painted the lids to my Kappa K21 side bags to match my NC. These were the most complicated pieces to paint and I saved them for last. I'm very happy with the way they turned out. I need to wait a few more days before reassembly for the paint to cure.

There are 4 different paint layers here. An adhesion promoter for the polypropylene plastic (2 coats), primer (maybe 3-4 thin coats), base color (maybe 5-6 thin coats), and clear coat (3 coats, first one "regular" clear, second two are 2-part 2K clear). That may sound like a lot of coats but the base color, in particular, is very thin stuff and requires multiple layers of thin coats 10 minutes apart to manage full coverage.

It's all rattle cans on cardboard over the garage floor.

100_6729.jpg

Last edited:
Painted the lids to my Kappa K21 side bags to match my NC. These were the most complicated pieces to paint and I saved them for last. I'm very happy with the way they turned out. I need to wait a few more days before reassembly for the paint to cure.

There are 4 different paint layers here. An adhesion promoter for the polypropylene plastic (2 coats), primer (maybe 3-4 thin coats), base color (maybe 5-6 thin coats), and clear coat (3 coats, first one "regular" clear, second two are 2-part 2K clear). That may sound like a lot of coats but the base color, in particular, is very thin stuff and requires multiple layers of thin coats 10 minutes apart to manage full coverage.

It's all rattle cans on cardboard over the garage floor.

View attachment 11447

Do you really expect us to believe that is a rattle can job???? ;)

NICE!!!!

Do you really expect us to believe that is a rattle can job???? ;)

NICE!!!!

Thanks! The only proof I can offer that it's a rattle can job is . . . ,well, here are the cans!

100_6730.jpg

Looks really good 670cc! Hard to believe it's a rattle can job. How does the 2-part clear coat work exactly? Is it two separate cans or is there some way it gets mixed?

Looks really good 670cc! Hard to believe it's a rattle can job. How does the 2-part clear coat work exactly? Is it two separate cans or is there some way it gets mixed?

There is a pin on the bottom of the spray can that you press in to break a bladder of activator inside the can. Then shake it all up. After 24 to 48 hours, any leftover clear coat needs to be discarded as it sets up in the can (I guess). Because of the short pot life, you'd best plan a big enough job to use up most or all of the can. This stuff isn't cheap at $20 per can, but it sure does a good job. In fact, that row of 4 cans in my earlier post cost $55. But it still probably beats taking it to a professional painter.

Here is the product info on the clearcoat: http://www.spraymax.com

Last edited:
AutomotiveTouchup is where I get my the paint for my jeep. My jeep is Rescue Green. A hard color to find in a rattle can but they have it for a decent price. I have never used the clear but a combination of a few things (your skill, your process, and the paint) made for an excellent looking product. Looks Great.

I apply all the primer coats and allow it to dry thoroughly. I wet sand that with 1200 grit paper. I wash it, dry it with a hair dryer. Then wipe with tack rag. I apply the color coats as needed for full color coverage and let it sit 30 minutes. I wipe the color coat with a tack rag then apply clear. You cannot wet sand the color coat prior to the clear.

If there were a flaw in the color coat that needed fixing/sanding, you would probably need to wait several days to fix it and respray. If you put clear laquer on top of semi cured color or clear, the paint will crack and wrinkle all the way down to the primer. You can only coat cured paint or fresh, but nothing in between.

The biggest challenge to doing home painting without a booth is keeping the piece clear of dust and lint, and if it weren't winter, maybe insects. If you keep the piece clear of dirt, there is no need or reason to sand beyond sanding the primer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back