• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bracket to use ATV lift

I love center stands on my dual sport bikes and made them for ours. It turned into a business and I have made numerous stands for different bikes. I always wanted one so that it would make it easy to fix flats on the tubed tires out on the road. With the NC700X and the Wife's CB500X, since they have tubeless tires I didn't really see a need for stand when out on the road. But because of all the plastic and other parts in the way they are difficult to lift using the a ATV lift. I have used blocks of would but they are not as stable as I would like.

I decided that I would use the center stand mounting points to add a bracket when needed to lift the bike.

Simple design.

003.jpg

Hang it on the bike.

002.jpg

The lift works well with the bike now.

001.jpg

I did something similar on the CB500.

Mike,
Nice bracket, simple design. Not so large attachment to reduce ground clearance.
I like it.

I don't leave it on the bike. Access is easy, the bolt slides right in from the left side. I really don't need to use it very often. I realized I needed something to lift both bikes when I went to install the lowering link on the CB500X for Cathy.

I may fabricate some center stands this winter. I have done a few (100) for other bikes.

I added Trax side cases to mine this weekend.

QnN9Emgl.jpg

gSRdLi8l.jpg

tJ6clSRl.jpg

I really like the way it all looks together, although I am not sure I like how wide its become! Its super handy though as I've dedicated one side for rain/cold weather gear, and the other will have a good toolkit.

Last edited:
Fender Extension

I decided to copy what we used to do on our dirt bikes years and years ago. I made an extension out of sheet rubber.

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

I will test it a little to see how it holds up. I just used fender washers on the inside. I think it would have been better to use a strip of metal all the way across. It should keep the mud off the radiator. The price was right. I had all of the materials in my workshop.

Well, not *today*, but I have de-farkled the bike recently, i.e., removed:

a) The two mini "driving lights" (probably from SW Motech) that were hog-tied to the front blinker stalks and removed all associated wiring back to the battery.
b) The "mounting plate" for the heated grips control (Oxford), then removed the control and its wiring back to the battery.
...(will be removing the heated grips as soon as I find decent standard replacements).
c) Removed the accessory plug (the cigarette lighter style \ SW Motech) on the handlebar and its associated wiring back to the battery.
d) Removed Ram ball mount on the crossbar.

* Probably remove the SW Motech Hand Guards ... they bump into and flex the windscreen, although I might be able to readjust them so it doesn't touch the screen.

Last edited:
Nice job Mike, looks really nice. And "cheap" too!
I decided to copy what we used to do on our dirt bikes years and years ago. I made an extension out rubber.
I will test it a little to see how it holds up. I just used fender washers on the inside. I think it would have been better to use a strip of metal all the way across. It should keep the mud off the radiator. The price was right. I had all of the materials in my workshop.

Well, not *today*, but I have de-farkled the bike recently, i.e., removed:

a) The two mini "driving lights" (probably from SW Motech) that were hog-tied to the front blinker stalks and removed all associated wiring back to the battery.
b) The "mounting plate" for the heated grips control (Oxford), then removed the control and its wiring back to the battery.
...(will be removing the heated grips as soon as I find decent standard replacements).
c) Removed the accessory plug (the cigarette lighter style \ SW Motech) on the handlebar and its associated wiring back to the battery.
d) Removed Ram ball mount on the crossbar.

* Probably remove the SW Motech Hand Guards ... they bump into and flex the windscreen, although I might be able to readjust them so it doesn't touch the screen.
I like your philosophy, I also am a fan of less is sometimes more! Keeping your bike simple, light weight and void of complicated attachments makes for a more reliable bike. Less crap to go haywire. I use the old fashion methods, paper maps, rubber non heated grips, cloth saddle and tail bags, stock lighting and hands on for cruise control, etc.

I like your philosophy, I also am a fan of less is sometimes more! Keeping your bike simple, light weight and void of complicated attachments makes for a more reliable bike. Less crap to go haywire. I use the old fashion methods, paper maps, rubber non heated grips, cloth saddle and tail bags, stock lighting and hands on for cruise control, etc.

Agreed. There's a couple of reasons for my madness. Obviously, these farkles are geared for a "touring" bike. My ST serves that purpose.

The NC, for me, is more of a commuting bike, with the occasional "one hour trip for lunch somewhere on the bay" (one-up no doubt), to\from work (15 miles each way), and the occasional errands, and maybe some light off-roading ...the ST and CBR just don't work for this type of riding.

There is one side-effect of this purchase - the g\f has been frantic to do the MSF course and get her license. The NC fits her well (5'8"), so we've been going to a local [empty] parking lot and I've been giving her various exercises to execute - she's actually doing really good (she used to ride years ago).

So anyway, yes, I like to simplify things if I can. I don't need heated grips, don't need to charge anything on the fly (if I did, I'd use a USB style charging station in the frunk), and won't be riding much at night for any significant distance. For me, there was too much "clutter" around the handlebars. Sadly, when I went to loosen\remove the battery's positive nut to remove all the extraneous wiring, it was barely hand tight.

Not much of a top box person,but want to start doing some over night trips.I took advantage of the Jc witneys labor day sale.I got the med top box.the pros.....ordered on a Mon (holiday) it was at my door Thursday with free shipping,I was impressed.the box is perfect for me,seems good quality, with a band reflector.the con's.......I have the givi rear rack bars so the plate does not match up with holes or the mounting bars.I just had to drill holes in the mounting bars,(no big deal)and will have to get some bolts to bolt the bars first then the plate.ran out of time so will finish up Friday.

Saddleman Tail Bag

Installed the Saddleman Tail Bag today. After finding that my laptop didn't fit in the frunk, I started searching for a top box large enough for the laptop, but small enough to be unobtrusive. I wanted a Givi, but they were either too small, too large, or too expensive. I thought the Saddleman Tail Bag, fit the bill. Unfortunately, the specs are kind of deceiving. They claim that it will expand to 20" width, and I only needed 18" for my full-sized wireless keyboard. It doesn't fit. Not even close. That 20" dimension must be external width when this thing is stuffed to the gills. I measured only 19" when I unzipped the extensions and pulled it as hard as possible. I probably could have stretched the middle compartment to fit the keyboard, but there was no way I could fit it through the small opening on top.

The bag comes with four straps designed to pass under the seat. I had planned to use the four straps to tie it to the grab handles, but the straps don't work that way. I ended up running two straps under the seat, as recommended by Saddleman. The front strap is run under the seat latch bracing, so it is very secure. The rear straps are pinched by the seat to frame, so they don't move either.

I loaded the bag with a boxed up brake rotor approximating the size and weight of my laptop, keyboard, mouse and street shoes (all the stuff I plan to carry to work), and took an hour long ride on some pretty rough back roads. The bag barely moved. A little front to back under braking and acceleration, but I could feel it on my back, and never felt it move sideways. Success!

Attachments

• Saddleman bag 001.jpg
    Saddleman bag 001.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 823
  • Saddleman bag 006.jpg
    Saddleman bag 006.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 438
I washed it,yes I really did I'm not going to get banned am I for this crime;)
the bike was absolutely splattered with dead flies and muck!

I installed a cannon-style (air / panasonic / monoprice) cam on my handlebars . I tried the turn signal and it was unstable.

Still getting vibes but not terrible. Considering helmet mount.

I installed a cannon-style (air / panasonic / monoprice) cam on my handlebars . I tried the turn signal and it was unstable.

Still getting vibes but not terrible. Considering helmet mount.

Helmet mounts are ok, but still not perfect. Will be less vibes, but it will still be a bit shaky. Although your camera is more aerodynamic than say a gopro there will be more wind resistance on your helmet where ever you decide to mount it. I've been using my XTC 280 mounted on the right side of my helmet for about a week, and there isn't too much pull from the wind on the right side, but it's there. And there's of course more wind noise due to the turbulence it creates. I tried mounting it to my SW-Motec crash bars and it gets too much vibes there, so I'm thinking of trying a handle bar mount soon.

I washed my bike fir the third time in a year and a half. Surprised at how dirty it wasn't. I guess and the riding in the rain helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back