• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sharing a room with NC?

JoeZ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering...have any of you shared a hotel or motel room on the first floor with your NC's? For the life of me, if I'm traveling out there.. I'm planing to back my NC into my room. I just won't leave it out of my sight too long. Am I the only one that feels this way? What have others done? :)

It will be interesting for the other guests to watch you try to manage it over a curb and back it uphill over the threshhold of the door, but don't expect the motel staff and the fire marshal to love you. You worry needlessly and the attached paranoia will suck the juice out of whatever joy there could be in the trip. Be glad you don't have a Motus.

I have had one bike tampered with (in 1991) and they managed to crack one fairing pocket cover. I had more damage than that done to the same bike by a U.S. Customs officer in Jackman, Maine who thought that if he kept looking he was sure to find a handgun on my bike. Lesson Learned: Take the NRA sticker off of the motorcycle.

Last edited:
When we raced the east coast arena cross series, we successfully got out bikes into many hotels (were young, just enough $$ to race) so we didnt want to leave our bikes out over night in the bed of the pickup truck. Probably not the best idea for sure, and Im sure they didnt have cameras everywhere like they do now. We did drain the bikes fuel, because you cant hide the smell of race gas, and that isnt something you want to sleep next to and inhale all night.

We rolled them in the side doors, and out the side doors many times, got some weird looks, but no one ever said anything to us about it, but like I said, that was many years ago, and we all know how times have changed.

Some hotels will let you park right by the front door.
But I don't blame you for worrying a few months ago my son was traveling with 3 friends and they stopped in St Louis late just to sleep for a few hours and their car was broken into.
And in northern Wis my mother and sister's room was broken into and they stole her keys and some personal items and yes they toke the car.

Last edited:
Stay in hotels like this one, that has a motorcycle garage included!

Two Wheel Inn Resort 828-479-4248 – Accommodations for you and your motorcycle, Located on US129, south of Robbinsville NC near the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.

I avoid hotels/motels and instead I camp partly because I think most campgrounds are low(er) crime areas and my bike is parked right next to me. I've taken many, many motorcycle trips but the last time I can remember staying in a hotel on one was 4 years ago.

On a recent cage trip I did stay in a hotel one night, but the two bicycles I was carrying on a rack went inside the room with me.

Last edited:
I stayed at a motel in Maggie Valley a couple weekends ago and parked my bike right outside my door. Granted, there were probably 50 Harley's in the same parking lot. Moral of the story, stay somewhere where a thief has more than one bike choice. LOL

Good point by Sarge.

If there is a Harley, Indian, BMW, Ducati, or Gold Wing in the lot your NC is safe.

Not that an NC is last on the list but at that point might not even be on the list.

If you were going to risk life and/or freedom which machine would you go after?

Remember the biker shootout in Waco in 2015?

Remember all the NC's parked around there?

My point.

God bless!!

Michael

You can also put an audible alarm on it, and/or electronic BlueTooth tag tied to your phone. That way if the bike physically moves then you will hear it from either the alarm or your phone. Might be too late but the bottom line is that if a thief really wants your bike they're getting it at some point!

The hotels I've stayed at usually let us park the bikes under the awning at the front door. My feeling is the same as for my car - I've got insurance, and yeah I'll be pissed if anything happens but I'll be made whole and it just isn't worth worrying about.

I also take everything valuable and easy to steal into the hotel (gps, phone, top case).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also take everything valuable and easy to steal into the hotel (gps, phone, top case).
Plus +1 on taking panniers and top case into the room, my Touratech Pro2 panniers and Honda top case provide me simple key release on/off convenience. If I must stay in a room, almost exclusively Motel 6, I reserve a room online where I plan to stop for the night. I include a comment/request of about my planned arrival time and that I'm riding a motorcycle. I firmly request a ground floor room with parking immediately outside its door, pointedly requesting not a handicap spot. Rarely am I disappointed. In the USA, I would never attempt putting my NC' in the room, in other countries it may be a requisite activity.

IMG_1095.jpg

Otherwise I sleep on the bike in a rest area while enroute to my destination, where I almost always am in a campground or m/c resort. Knocking on wood, I haven't been disturbed by anyone yet.

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7663.jpg

Ray

...have any of you shared a hotel or motel room on the first floor with your NC's?...... I'm planing to back my NC into my room....... I just won't leave it out of my sight too long......

Joe, see your doctor....they have pills for these kinds of worries.

....Am I the only one that feels this way?....
Yes ;-)

I've actually read "plenty" of people on other forums that won't take their eyes off their bikes at any time when traveling except when they "have" too like going to the bathroom. When they stop to eat, their eyes have their bikes in sight etc... I'm in LA, CA and I can tell you it's a lot different here than where others in rural places live. Look it up, California for the second year in a row, is the capital of stolen bikes in the country. So you can see why I would ask such a question. And next to NY, LA was the 4th most plagued city. I've even read some people riding who stay at camp grounds carry bear repellent spray for protection :)

So you can see why I would ask such a question. And next to NY, LA was the 4th most plagued city. I've even read some people riding who stay at camp grounds carry bear repellent spray for protection :)

I can understand your fears of your bike being stolen based on your living in LA, at least from what little I know about it. However, bears stealing bikes is a problem I was unaware of until now!

Last edited:
I've tour thousands of miles all over Canada and United States over the past 20 years and have never had a issue. Put a lock on it and park in a high foot traffic area. I can only imagine how pissed off the motel owner would be knowing someone was trying to push his bike inside.

Lots of drive-in hotels in Mexico and no one cares. I usually just throw a cover on it, leave it outdoors and call it good. Feel safer parking in Mexico than in Southern California.

[video]https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuOy5eNDUNPzgoUJC3_LpizKMUWBKA[/video]

Otherwise I park next to some nice expensive bikes with the thought they will get taken first.

Last edited:
Back