• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Packing for trips

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I was getting ready for another trip, thought I'd share how I pack. After 51 years of packing for motorcycle trips I have found this to be the absolute most efficient way to pack. I keep labeled bags for items I want to take in a drawer. When getting ready for a trip I pull out the bags and start packing. When you take 3 trips or so a year, you will appreciate the organization. YMMV

J0Nvteeh.jpg

It has so many advantages.

1) makes packing a snap, before a trip pull out the bags and fill them with the
labeled item
2) you roll up the item to go in the bag as small/tight as you can, insert, then roll
the bag and compress it before zipping the bag shut makes for a really small
package to pack. (like it's been vacuum sealed)
3) you never overpack and you never forget anything you really need
4) you never leave anything in the hotel room because if there's an empty bag you
know what's missing (usually a charging cord)
4) no matter what, none of your packed gear ever gets wet (handy if you use soft luggage like I do on some of my bikes)
5) lay them out when you get to the hotel room, labels up and there is no "digging"
for items you want/need for the next day.
6) when you get back from the trip empty the items and store away the bags for
next time.
7) If there is an item you found you don't really need, get rid of the bag.
If there is an item you really wish you had brought, make a bag for it and put it with the
rest of the bags so you won't forget it on the next trip

So easy and efficient.

note the 2 cans of Skyline chili and the green bag are gifts for someone I'll be seeing, and don't normally get packed. The water bottle and trip journal for daily mileages, trip costs and trip details are going in the frunk.

That looks like a very good way to stay organized and pack quickly. Thanks for describing and sharing your system.

Oh, but I wish it was that easy. There are so many different trips I might take, every trip seems different.
Will I camp the whole time or will I possibly need to stay in a hotel?
If staying in a hotel, what about theft deterrents?
What will the weather be like for riding? For overnight camping?
Which motorcycle am I riding and what is my cargo capacity?
Do I need to carry spare fuel?
Am I taking most all of my food, or if riding with a buddy, will he instead want restaurant food most of the time?
Do I need tie down straps if I might be on a large ferry?
Do I fully expect rain because of the length of the trip, or can I organize the trip around heavy rain episodes?
Do I need to consider satellite radio service due to traveling to remote areas?
Am I going to wash my clothes along the way or wait 'til I get home?
Am I trailering the bike and sleeping in the trailer, or taking the bike alone and tent camping?
Is the spouse coming, or is the trip solo?

And then on a whole different level, are we both going in the motorhome and trailering the Goldwing or towing the car? Bicycles coming, too? Taking the boat along instead, or is there no motorcycle, car, or boat involved at all?

I end up taking a custom set of supplies and equipment for most every trip. I make lists, but they are mostly just suggestions.

I understand. My trips are never that complicated lol. Me, my motorcycle and a cheapish motel room, with heat/air, a comfortable bed, a hot shower, a real toilet, a TV and usually a free breakfast, lol. No camping, no towing, only 2 different, but similar motorcycles, using the same soft luggage. I never pack food except some energy bars. My shirts, shorts and socks are washable in the motel sink and easily dry overnight. I have been on 2 big ferries, across Lake Champlain from New York to Vermont and across the Delaware Bay from New Jersey to Delaware and no tie downs were needed. I do carry 2 pair of Rok straps (different sizes in baggies) and a tire repair kit in my tang bag or Frunk depending on which bike I ride in case I need to strap something across my seat or luggage. And I carry AAA paper maps (in a baggie) for the states I'll be riding thru in the tank bag or frunk.(You already saw pictures of my hand printed gps lol). I also keep a chamois drying cloth for the bike and a soft cloth and spray bottle for cleaning my face shield in the tank bag or frunk. I used to carry 4 oz of 10w30 oil in a small water bottle and a cardboard funnel, but after a couple years of not using it, it's one of the items I eliminated. I can always pick up a bottle of oil at Walmart etc if needed I guess. BTW generally anything you might need on a trip you can pick up at a Walmart if necessary. As a last resort, my AAA+RV card would get a 150 mile flatbed truck tow if needed.

The same outer gear is worn daily, HJC modular helmet, Tourmaster Advanced waterproof jacket, Tourmaster Caliber 2.0 waterproof pants, deerskin gloves (Hard as I've tried, I've never found a good pair of waterproof gloves), Alpinestar waterproof boots. Underneath I wear a C9 athletic shirt, some C9 athletic shorts and some Dr Schols socks. All I have to worry about packing is under layers, and off the bike clothes (polo shirt, jeans and gym shoes). Sometimes I will pack a Frogg Toggs rain suit and overmitts if I'm expecting days of heavy rain, but my Tourmaster gear can survive a day or two of light rain. In that pic you can see I do pack a spare pair of dry gloves.

I realize how I pack might not be suitable for every situation, but it may give others that don't motorcycle trip very often, but would like to, some ideas on how to pack if staying in a hotel. . I've ridden thru all of the lower 48 states, 2 provinces in Canada and 5 countries in Europe and FOR ME, this system has been great.

Camping/towing would require a whole additional list of necessary items.

I zoomed in on your picture, saw you packed Skyline Chili, and questioned if I should ever trust your judgement ever again.

Kidding aside, I’m probably not going to do too many long trips but that is a very helpful strategy. You can try a single packing cube for your clothes and write your list right on the outside to maybe make it more compact. Marie Kondo’s folding method keeps everything wrinkle feee if that is important.

Not kidding on really disliking Skyline though. They have locations here in town and judging by the crowds, I’m in the minority.

who is Marie Kondo?

Really they have Skyline in Fla?

I'm from Cinti. It's a staple here. We eat it at least once a week. Those two cans are for friends in Chicago I'm supposed to stay with this weekend on the way to Wisc, but now the weather is looking real iffy for the trip and I may bow out. Mid 50s and 70 % chance of rain for all 3 days. I really don't want to ride 1000 miles in those conditions. I hate 50 degrees and rain above all other riding conditions. I'd rather it was 30 degrees and snowing.

I zoomed in on your picture, saw you packed Skyline Chili, and questioned if I should ever trust your judgement ever again.

Kidding aside, I’m probably not going to do too many long trips but that is a very helpful strategy. You can try a single packing cube for your clothes and write your list right on the outside to maybe make it more compact. Marie Kondo’s folding method keeps everything wrinkle feee if that is important.

Not kidding on really disliking Skyline though. They have locations here in town and judging by the crowds, I’m in the minority.
I am not a big fan of skyline chili either. There is one down the street from my old job in Louisville, after 23 years, only ate there once and never went back.

who is Marie Kondo?

Really they have Skyline in Fla?

I'm from Cinti. It's a staple here. We eat it at least once a week. Those two cans are for friends in Chicago I'm supposed to stay with this weekend on the way to Wisc, but now the weather is looking real iffy for the trip and I may bow out. Mid 50s and 70 % chance of rain for all 3 days. I really don't want to ride 1000 miles in those conditions. I hate 50 degrees and rain above all other riding conditions. I'd rather it was 30 degrees and snowing.
Yup. Skyline is here. I think they have two locations in the county, well one might be in Collier County. This coast is mostly Midwesterners so we get some of those places that are familiar to us.

Marie Kondo is a lady who became famous for a show on Netflix about organizing.

Yup. Skyline is here. I think they have two locations in the county, well one might be in Collier County. This coast is mostly Midwesterners so we get some of those places that are familiar to us.

Marie Kondo is a lady who became famous for a show on Netflix about organizing.
Ill have to look her up

Back