• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SHAD Comfort Seat

At this point, I still want a 'better' seat. It's entirely possible that NO seat will work for me on this bike as an 'all-day' item; IDK. I don't know whether I'm going to do something with just plain foam and my stock seat, or what, but despite the Shad improvement, I still can't stay on the bike all day and be anywhere remotely near happy/comfortable.

Are people still getting numb-butt with this seat?

I don't really get numb butt with the Shad. After 5 days on a long trip I have issues related to chafing and monkey butt, but that's more a function of sweating and my clothing choice than it is the seat.

I've heard of the seat foam and cover that you put on yourself (from Shad), or the one that comes with the seat pan. I can't find pricing on the former, but I assume you bought the whole seat?

I've heard of the seat foam and cover that you put on yourself (from Shad), or the one that comes with the seat pan. I can't find pricing on the former, but I assume you bought the whole seat?

I don't think I've ever heard of that option from Shad. Perhaps you're thinking of Seat Concepts?

As for the Shad seat, I just figured something out this afternoon. The dishing on the Shad always struck me as adequate to provide a comfy ride, but it just sort of missed the mark. I found that it was more comfortable when I lean forward (changing the angle of my tailbone). I examined the rear seat and compared it to the stock rear seat and it's got a lot more cushioning up front nose. That cushioning pushes me out of the dished area and onto the narrower section which puts pressure on my sit bones. I popped the rear sear, sat down with it propped up and there was a very noticeable and positive difference. I was able to sit right in the middle of the dished area. I think I might start thinking about one of Dale's rear racks. I can count the number of times that my wife has ridden with me on one hand (maybe finger?). She's not a fan of the Shad rear seat anyway. I think I might put the original rear seat back on. It might even make the release work easy again.

TL, DR: Pop the rear seat and sit down on the Shad. I bet it'll feel better.

Reactions: Mya
I did a 16 hour 520 mile ride last weekend, and probably 12 plus hours of that was saddle time, and well I was uncomfortable some it wasnt too bad.

Of course then I got up Sunday and went for another ride with a group and by the end of 200 miles I couldnt wait to get home and off the bike. Monday my thighs were hurting pretty good but it sure was a fun weekend

I too also found the Shad Touring Seat uncomfortable and ill shaped for my body. I returned it within 15 days for a refund.
"Tried it, hated it!" Sorry to hear your fun ride turned into a pain in the butt.
I did a 16 hour 520 mile ride last weekend, and probably 12 plus hours of that was saddle time, and well I was uncomfortable some it wasnt too bad.

Of course then I got up Sunday and went for another ride with a group and by the end of 200 miles I couldnt wait to get home and off the bike. Monday my thighs were hurting pretty good but it sure was a fun weekend

I wasnt saying I didnt like the Shad, its better then the stock seat, but maybe not as good as I wished. I also cant help think part of the problem is just physical conditioning too. I have managed longer and longer rides with less discomfort over time.

Another thing that helps is I bought a pair of armored underwear from Cyclegear. They have hip pads and a small back protector pad, but also have a shammy seat that does seem to help a lot on long days. And I was less uncomfortable then one of the younger guys with me on his BMW800. He wasnt used to long rides but did buy an Airhawk pad when we stopped at Whitehorse gear but was still trying to get it adjusted right by end of the night.

I suffer from low back pain. I could not ride more than 45-60' with the stock seat. With Shad I can ride for 2 hours! Shad is a great upgrade for me, especially if you consider that I couldn't drive my Opel Corsa more that 3 hours...

I was saying I didn't like the Shad

I was saying I didn't like the Shad, No How!:p
I just wanted to be clear.:confused:

I wasnt saying I didnt like the Shad, its better then the stock seat, but maybe not as good as I wished. I also cant help think part of the problem is just physical conditioning too. I have managed longer and longer rides with less discomfort over time.

Another thing that helps is I bought a pair of armored underwear from Cyclegear. They have hip pads and a small back protector pad, but also have a shammy seat that does seem to help a lot on long days. And I was less uncomfortable then one of the younger guys with me on his BMW800. He wasnt used to long rides but did buy an Airhawk pad when we stopped at Whitehorse gear but was still trying to get it adjusted right by end of the night.

I have used my new seat long enough now to comment. The seat at first did not impress me, I felt it was a little hard and the slope was still off on the first 200-300 mile short trips. Stock seat with slope change almost felt as good. Just finished a little trip around Southern Alberta Waterton Lake area and did 3200 km (2000) miles with 2 and a half days riding the rest spent fishing in a week. Same trip as last year on the stock seat with slope mod. and a pad was torture compared to the Shad. This seat takes a lot of miles to break in. I also know the highway pegs make a big differance on the long trips. I am sold on this seat. Ride safe.

Attachments

• @014 029.jpg
    @014 029.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3,288
Last edited:
I do hope the seat is worth the hassle - I ordered over a week ago. Keep in mind this was a " display" unit that they offered me for a decent price. Rather than wait for next shipment of seats, I bought it. The last email I got said something to the effect of " great, we'll get that shipped right out to you". As of close of business today it still had not been shipped. I could understand a special order, but this is something they already had. It takes over a week to put a shipping label on a box? I've done warehouse work for over 20 years - we'd never get by with that kind of customer service.

Wait until you return it! I sent my Shad seat back to Shad in Florida with tracking and delivery confirmation. When I received notice that Shad had received it, I contacted them with the date they received it, and which employee accepted it.
I then waited an additional 10 days for notice of receipt from Shad. Never happened! Next I contacted their phone gal about my refund. She told me she would look into it. Wait some more. Telephoned again, she informed they could not find my package and seat in their "LARGE" warehouse!
So I contacted my bank and was given a full refund the next day. I guess the Shad staff finally found it?
I wouldn't recommend Shad!
Your results may vary!
Google luck!

The seat is well-built, IMO/E (whether an individual finds it 'best' or not). Shad USA, the importer/distributor, is a disaster.

Disaster is right-they still have not shipped this seat yet:mad:. It's a shame too, they make really nice stuff. My Shad top box is the only thing I kept off my KLR when I sold it. Their U.S. distributor is going to keep them forever under the radar here- you just can't run a business like this nowadays.

Sorry to hear it, shawnk! :(

I made the seat slope mod to my Shad last Friday evening. Went for a ~180-mile ride Saturday AM, with a long breakfast stop halfway through. Positive change, at least I think. Tough to tell for sure until either I take a long ride without a long break in it, or I have more time commuting on it.

I finally got mine after almost 3 weeks. Initial impressions are pretty good but mixed ( I'm hoping my dealings with Shad USA haven't swayed my thoughts on the seat itself-trying to be objective here). The build quality and materials are nice. It doesn't fit to the motorcycle as well as the stock seat- there's a larger gap all around where it fits to the "tank". The passenger seat stitching doesn't really line up to the stitching on the main seat- they're offset where they meet, but that's not a deal breaker, and the stitching is even on mine. Passenger seat is harder to open-close, but after several cycles of open-close it seems to be getting better (the passenger seat came with trimmed off bumpers in the front, and I had to trim down the back ones I installed from the stocker a like amount to get it latching). Padding on the passenger seat seems better, but it's not a large difference in feel or shape, which is a bit of a disappointment. The main seat fixes the main issue I had with the stock seat- the stupid sharp angles on the side are gone. It seems to be shaped a little flatter, and the cushioning feels like it going to be just great. I got the seat for roughly the price that just the front portion would have cost, so I'm definitely keeping it. It doesn't look bad at all on the bike, but the fitment issues might bother some who are thinking of purchasing.

Stupid sharp angles. Amen to that.

I tried the riding shorts but this is not the issue, the issue for me is that you do slide forward, on the last leg of this weekends trip I purposely pushed back on the handle bars to keep myself in place, did not let up of let myself slide forward and well it worked my *** did not hurt, I will try to find someone locally that can take the existing seat and add support in the front and re cover it, so if there is anyone out there in the Ontario Canada area let me know. I am sure in order to make everything match I will have to have the rear covered with new material as well.

Back