• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rough engine and vibration

Sounds like its that `built in character` those Honda wizards incorporated into the NC700 `unbalanced` design , After 61000, no oil use, trouble free miles I have gotten used to the grumblings of this engine.

My CTX700 has an abnormal vibration/ resonance between 4250-4750 RPM, I took it in to the dealer twice to have them tell me they feel nothing strange. They said they "adjusted" the chain, it might have gotten a little better but not truly noticeably better.

I replaced the plugs, no change.
Did the valves, no change.
Tried higher octane fuel, no change.

I remember reading a topic on a NC forum about the guy saying he had the same issue and he bought new injectors and that fixed his issue. I've done everything else I can think of so maybe one of these days I'll pull the injectors and send them in to get calibrated and see if that fixes my issue.

That was at 2,000 miles, now I'm about to turn over 9,000, I just shrug it off and tell myself if it ever turns out to be something catastrophic I'll just pick up a used engine from fleabay for $500...

My CTX700 has an abnormal vibration/ resonance between 4250-4750 RPM

I remember reading a topic on a NC forum about the guy saying he had the same issue and he bought new injectors and that fixed his issue. I've done everything else I can think of so maybe one of these days I'll pull the injectors and send them in to get calibrated and see if that fixes my issue.

That was at 2,000 miles, now I'm about to turn over 9,000, I just shrug it off and tell myself if it ever turns out to be something catastrophic I'll just pick up a used engine from fleabay for $500...

Many of us considered that injector theory to be completely ..........booogus.

My CTX700 has an abnormal vibration/ resonance between 4250-4750 RPM, I took it in to the dealer twice to have them tell me they feel nothing strange. They said they "adjusted" the chain, it might have gotten a little better but not truly noticeably better.

I replaced the plugs, no change.
Did the valves, no change.
Tried higher octane fuel, no change.

One of my NC700Xs has a little more character than the other. The power and throttle response is fine. Everything is properly maintained and adjusted. So I swapped the fuel injectors with a used set to see if it would change the feel. It made no difference.

Last edited:
One of my NC700Xs has a little more character than the other. The power and throttle response is fine. Everything is properly maintained and adjusted. So I swapped the fuel injectors with a used set to see if it would change the feel. It made no difference.

Then I guess it's just the "character"...

For a while I thought maybe something was just out of balance internally, if I place my hand on the head/ cam shafts it feels like that is where the vibration/ resonance is coming from. Hand on crank gives minimal vibration/ resonance.

But like I said, anything goes boom I'll just buy a used engine.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Dealer wanted to change out my chain and sprockets at 2,000 miles, I told them "No thanks, not spending $200 to replace parts with such low mileage".

Last edited:
I also think it’s just a “built in character” of the engine.

I bought my ‘700 brand new, and noticed a slight engine vibration at 125 km/h (about 77 mpH) right from the start. A valve clearance adjustment didn't make any difference. Since new the wheels have been replaced three times, and each time th e wheels have been balanced properly. No difference.

A the moment my ‘700’s odometer is sitting at about 80k, and the engine still have a slight vibration at 125 km/h. I’ve just learnt to accept the slight vibration as part of the engine’s character.

What rpm? Engine vibration has to do with rpm and not speed.

My 750 has noticable vibration at 3000 rpm (despite addition of a second balancing shaft over the 700).

My DCT bike has exhibited that resonant sort of vibration since it was new. There have been a lot of things done to it (valve adjust -twice, new tires - twice, chain adjustments, and chain/sprocket replacement) and nothing changed the symptom. It hits my bike around 72mph / 4000 rpm in 6th gear. Not 71 mph and not 74. It comes on at 72 and goes away before 74.

It just dawned on me that I have never actually checked into it while in 'Sport' mode. The result of that test would tell me whether it is speed related or rpm related... I suspect it's rpm. But, then again, it has never bothered me enough to worry about it... ;-). Man, I love this bike!
>Thom

What rpm? Engine vibration has to do with rpm and not speed.

My 750 has noticable vibration at 3000 rpm (despite addition of a second balancing shaft over the 700).

The odometers at the ‘700’s give an exact speed reading to give a proper idea when the slight vibration can be expected. Due to the nature of the ‘700’s ref counter there is no way how anyone can give a 100 % correct Rpm reading in this regard.

Maybe the ‘750 ref counters are different ?

Nope, they are the same, impossible to tell the exact revs. BTW, my Integra does not seem to have any noticeable vibration spot, at least not pronounced enough for me to notice or pay attention to. However, back in my days with V-Strom I was haunted by vibration at certain rev/speed until I found that the source of it were engine guards. I tightened them and all was well again.

I've experienced a vibration/ buzzing that starts at about 3800 rpm. It's not a speed issue, as I checked it in manual mode and in each gear it goes from smooth to buzzy at that same rpm.
Maybe its function is to let me know when to shift up in manual mode without having to look at the inaccurate tach?

I think its funny this thread is still alive haha.

I have since excepted that the bike has a noticeable vibration at around 400rpm or 72mph. Ive gotten use to it and dont worry about it much.

However there is still a sound coming from the front of the bike that bothers me. It is especially noticeable when riding long something like a barrier so you can hear the sound echoing back. It has like a metalic rubbing sound and drives me nuts. Ive had the dealership look at it but they dont hear it. Ive checked just about everything I can think of but nothing seems to change the sound. Ive had no issues so will probably just ignore it.

I could hear strange sounds from all my bikes when riding in situations like the one you describe. I also hear different sounds when I wear a different helmet, I have three I actively use and in each my Integra sounds differently. I wouldn’t worry about it mate.

I always thought motorcycles were supposed to vibrate, of course i once owned a Triumph 500, it would make anything else seems super smooth.

I think its funny this thread is still alive haha.

I have since excepted that the bike has a noticeable vibration at around 400rpm or 72mph. Ive gotten use to it and dont worry about it much.

I think by keeping this thread alive more owners now realize that different owners experience slight engine vibrations at different engine Rpms.

That’s the exact reason why I decided to share my experience when I saw this post - I immediately realized that I experience similar vibrations at a different Rpm / speed reading.

Back