• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rough engine and vibration

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, Ive mentioned this in other threads but figured it was time to start a thread on it.

There are 2 different problems(maybe problems maybe in my head) That Im asking about.

The 1st Ive noticed consistently since I got the bike. At exactly 72mph the bike has a noticeable shift in vibration, getting rougher. At first i choked it up to the wind resistance and usually drive at 70mph on the highway so ignored it. Is this something anyone else has experienced? Its exactly 72mph, infact I can always tell if ive gone from 71 to 72 by the change in vibration. Until recently it was minor and didnt cause any discomfort while riding.

The 2nd however is a new problem at least I think. Part of me wonders if because of the long winter and not riding as much it just seems worse.

About 2 months ago I started thinking maybe the engine was making a different noise. A kinda tapping that you could hear when reflected back like a highway barrier. It sounded like the engine but more noticeable and a little more like metal on metal. Everyone I showed said it just sounded like the motor running normal. I also felt like maybe there was a resistance in the front end but again this might just be in my head. I got a bad bolt in the rear tire and replaced it with an Angel GT and installed ride on. Since then It seems like the noise level and vibration have increased. At this point I thought maybe it was the ride on but that seems to have settled and it really doesnt feel like the rear tire is unbalanced when riding.

Today i took the bike for a couple 100 mile ride the longest so far this year and I feel like it was a lot more noticeable. After about an hour of riding I started to feel a little tingling in my feet and hands from the vibration and that has never happened even after riding 3 hours or so. by the 2 hours even my rear was getting irritated from the vibration. I also noticed that when I got to 72mph the increased vibration like normal but much more intense. Even riding above 72 for 15 mins was very uncomfortable.

Things Ive done.
Bike has 4900 miles on it.
I just did a full Oil change at 4500, both filters etc...
Took it to the dealer and had him take a listen to the engine. He said he didnt hear anything that set off alarms. But didnt take it for a ride.

I know valves are a possibility but according to the forum needing adjustments before 8k is rare.
Rear tire un balanced but I noticed it before the change but it has gotten worse after. The front might need air going to check and add if needed tomorrow.

Im doing a 500mile camping trip wed up to the Catskills so Im a little worried but other then is feeling rough there seems to be nothing wrong with the bike.

Also DCT shifts seem way better after the filter change.

First of all check your chain slack. It should be 30-40mm, make it 30mm and bike will "fly again". Hopefully :p

If the dealer said the engine sounded ok to him. I wouldn't worry about it.
The tires however I would make sure are balanced. When I put new tires on mine, I noticed a different road noise.
The 72 mph thing though, would make me want the service manager to take it for a ride and get it up to 72 mph for a mile or so. I would insist. Even tell him you're willing to pay. That will tell him you're really concerned.

On a lighter note, your engine may be broken in by the manual , but it's not really "settled" in. Mine has 17,000 miles on it and it never sounded or felt better.
I was concerned about the rough idling early on and ran a bottle of Seafoam through (1 oz. per gallon) and it idled MUCH better.

Thanks for the Ideas.

Ill check the Chain but it was fine after I changed the rear tire so probably not the cause.

If i take the bike in to check the tire balance will they do it with Rid On in it? I was planning on adding it to my front tire as well.

Thanks for the Ideas.

Ill check the Chain but it was fine after I changed the rear tire so probably not the cause.

If i take the bike in to check the tire balance will they do it with Rid On in it? I was planning on adding it to my front tire as well.

At least the way I balance my wheel on a stand (using good old fashioned weights), I don't see how it could be done with Ride-On installed. The goo slides around in the tire, and I'd just be chasing my tail trying to balance it with weights.

According to Ride-On, once you throw away your weights and install their product, your balance problems are over.

Well here are my thoughts on it. If the vibrations over 71mph is caused by a unbalanced tire it would have to be the front since its been a problem from day one and adding ride on should fix it. It really couldnt be the rear tire.

Also if there is in fact a problem causing the engine to be louder and vibrate more it seems to me it would have to be an engine issue rather then something to do with the drive train etc.

I think after this weekends trip Ill just have to take it into the dealer and request they take it for a good ride and see what they say. I just hate not being able to do it myself this is the 1st vehicle Ive owned where i cant just strip it all down myself. I just know Honda will charge me a fortune just to find nothing.

I know a lot of riders who dont even balance there tires so unless ride on was causing problems I cant see a problem with it.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Short of doing a valve check what can I check or look into before I take off wed morning?

I wouldn't worry about the valves.
I think if your front tire were off balance, you'd feel it in the handle bars.
If engine were off balance, you'd feel it in the seat.
Just my thoughts -don't know anything for fact.

I believe that the NC engine does have a rough patch around 4000 rpm and especially under acceleration or into a headwind. Mine does and has done so from the beginning. I have felt of late that this is a little more pronounced. Then I realised I was wearing much lighter gloves for the summer and accordingly my hands were more sensitive.

Some engines will have a little more vibes than others. My Triumph has a high frequency vibe patch between 4/5000 rpm. I referred it back to the shop under warranty. They made a few changes but nothing improved. I have now learned to live with it as have many other Triumph owners. However many of them have no vibes at all. If the dealer and others have had a listen and do not think anything is wrong, then take some measures to alleviate the problem at the handlebars using the various well documented methods and put it behind you.

I had some vibration when then bike was new. after about 4000 miles they were reduced.

I further reduced the vibration when i readjusted the chain, i think it was too loose. and slight misaligned.

also added heavier bar end weight.

Vibration and harmonics can be the devil to try and figure out!

I spent many a keyboard flurry of posts here when my bike was new, and I had a bizarre "thrum" vibration which would occur at exactly 100 kph- 3,000 rpm +/- in 6th gear. It was driving me absolutely nuts!

Thank heavens it went away not long after break in, and I have never even though about it anymore. It's like it never happened, and I have to remind myself every once in a while: " Oh ya, that's right!" lol.

Did you put on any engine crash bars or anything? Even if you didn't, it might not hurt to check the torque on all the engine to frame bolts. I would loosen them all off, bounce the bike up and down a bit, and retorque to exact specs.

Best of luck with this man!

Thanks for all the replys and ideas everyone. Im sorry for the delay. I took my short trip and when I got back just got so busy wasnt able to do anything about it.

Before I left I checked the chain was fine though I might have someone more experienced do a alignment check seems fine. I put air in the tires at the recommended amount and did a quick spot check of anything I could see.

The bike performed fine with no issues other then the aforementioned problems. It has also done so since getting back and commuting every day. There basically has been no change.

The 1st problem as was mentioned by someone is at 4000rpms the Bike has a noticable increase in vibration and noise level. This has done it since day one and only really was an issue at 72mph in sixth gear on the highway. but I was always able to deal with it for the short time i was above that speed.
Now with the 2nd problem of an overall increased vibration hitting 400rpm is much more uncomfortable. After riding at above and below 72mph for 4 hours on the highway i am adjusting to the vibration whether it is normal or caused by a problem.

I suppose it is possible the Bike has finally settled in and that is why its rougher. Maybe there is a loose something or unbalanced tire. Though rare valves could be off. (I really dont think so)

From here the only things I can think to do besides take it in and have it looked at is checking all the bolts and mounts and doing an early valve check. I should probably get the book before doing these. I except that the 4000rpm thing is normal or at least not a problem. Now just need to figure out if the overall increased vibration is just how it is now or something wrong.

If you use Ride-On up to the proper levels you should not use the wheel balancing weights. I had a vibration until I realized I still had the balancing weights on. Took them off and the vibration cleared. My problem now is the chattering and roughness around 6th gear when it is not going fast enough. I just think it is time for a 750.

Mine will lug in 6th gear at low rpm's. I just use the manual paddles to shift it into 5th gear and it becomes smooth as butter.

I wonder if moving up to a 750 will solve the 6th gear vibration problem? Will the additional 75 cc present a different torque enough to stop this? Sure wish there was an NC1000 with the Africa twin engine and a 5 gallon tank. Those would fly out of the stores.

Last edited:
I would like an NC 1000, same engine, add another cylinder.
72 MPH, check front tire balance. You can do this your self, with Google.
Also when adding ride on, you need to ride it about 50 miles as soon as possible. After that it stays in place.

I would like an NC 1000, same engine, add another cylinder.
72 MPH, check front tire balance. You can do this your self, with Google.
Also when adding ride on, you need to ride it about 50 miles as soon as possible. After that it stays in place.
3 cylinder? ride on stays liquid so I don't understand the ride as soon as possible part.

The AT has a of shimmed valves as well as screw type, I don't even know how many other differences, I agree I would prefer the NC having the same engine as the 750 just up sized to a 1,000

Last edited:
Everyone notice the original post is from 3 years ago? Anyone still having this problem?

Back