• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

750x ping - pre ignition ?

Denber

Reaction score
Visit site
2018 NC750X,6000 miles,stock no engine or performance mods. Stock air filter. Bike runs fine but I am hearing a pinging sound from the engine whenever at full throttle. Sounds like pre ignition or detonation which I'm told can be very harmfull to an engine. Ive tried all kinds of gas , from Sunoco 260 to regular to non ethanol. Not much difference. Has anyone experianced this?

I’ve been reading this forum about 10 years and I don’t recall anyone reporting such a problem.

You could confirm the valve clearances are correct, as well as check for any loose hardware on the bike/engine. Other than that I have no suggestions.

I recall hearing something like this on my former NC700X and I think I occasionally hear it also on my X-Adv albeit the airbox is a different shape and that bike is a DCT. If it is what I think it is then You are hearing the sound from the steering stem tunnel area. It is an almost metallic sound only heard on full throttle application and I eventually decided it was intake noise because the airbox intake is up near the steering stem. I believe others have also mentioned this but I can't remember where I saw it.

Most of the DCT folks won't hear this because when full throttle is applied the bike will change down a gear or two thus negating the need for full throttle or at least allowing the engine revs to rise above the area where this occurs, whereas on a standard bike You can hold the throttle full open in a higher gear and continue to hear the sound.

In essence I don't think You have anything to worry about, especially on an unmodified bike with such low mileage, if it is performing otherwise normally.

To follow up. Bike continues to run fine. Talked to a local mechanic and he also thinks it is an intake noise. Occurs only at wide open throttle. No worries.
Thanks for the replies.

Back