• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recommended Chain,Sprocket, and Costs

The_Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations for chains, and sprockets for our bike? Also costs, and labor costs to have them installed. Thanks.

I don't know about cost of parts and labor, but I hear that DID X ring chains are the best. Adjust them once and you rarely (if ever) have to readjust them before the next replacement. It is what I plan to buy when time.

D

I just book marked this thread so that when knowlegable people reply with suggestions, I can refer back to it!
:)

Number of real good chains on the market for NC700. I use DID Prostreet VX X-Ring. DID 520VX2 X 114FB. Mfg# 520VX2X114FB. Tucker Rocky # 122730.

I now have 10,000 miles on this x-ring chain, and it shows very little wear. I have 22,000 miles on the OEM sprockets, and they still look good.

I have not found any aftermarket selling the chain - sprocket set. Usually cheaper if you can find the set (chain and sprockets).

I have not found any aftermarket selling the sprockets listed for the NC700X.

I am sure someone sells them aftermarket, just I have not found them.

I will be needing all for my 24,000 service, so I would also like to know if anyone has any chain and sprocket information.

JT Sprockets have sprockets and chains for the Honda NC700X. Including a rear sprocket with 39 teeth as opposed to the factory 43 teeth (Might be nice having the 39 teeth for extended hiway or freeway driving). Don't know the costs.

JT Sprockets: Catalogue

This is where I landed on it at Sprocket Center

Superlite RS7 Steel Sprocket Set 16T/43T with DID 520 ERV3 Race series X'ring - GOLD COLOR (750cc rated)

SKU: SL1070001R-16-43-520ERV3 Price: $209.95

Fewer teeth on the driven (rear) sprocket will make the engine turn slower for a given road speed, vs stock gearing. Or, saying it another way, he same engine rpm will move the bike faster.

Fewer teeth on the drive (front) sprocket has the opposite impact.

Guys, the 39 teeth rear sprocket in the JT catalogue is for the DCT models. They have a different primary reduction. 1st and 2nd gears are different too.

FYI, some Spanish guys are exchanging them in the opposite way, I mean, fitting a non-DCT rear sprocket (43 teeth) in their DCT models to gain some power and acceleration. I doubt a non-DCT X would pull well a 39 teeth rear sprocket.

Another option is to use a 15 teeth front sprocket and a 39 teeth rear sprocket. This is something in the middle between 16/43 and 16/39

JT Sprockets have sprockets and chains for the Honda NC700X. Including a rear sprocket with 39 teeth as opposed to the factory 43 teeth (Might be nice having the 39 teeth for extended hiway or freeway driving). Don't know the costs.

JT Sprockets: Catalogue

39 teeth is factory stock for the DCT bike (43 for the manual). In my own opinion, the bike does not have sufficient power to handle higher gearing. The reason the DCT has a higher sprocket ratio is that the primary drive ratio is lower by an equivalent amount, making the overall gearing very nearly the same.

This is where I landed on it at Sprocket Center
Superlite RS7 Steel Sprocket Set 16T/43T with DID 520 ERV3 Race series X'ring - GOLD COLOR (750cc rated)

SKU: SL1070001R-16-43-520ERV3 Price: $209.95

found the combination on THIS page.

thanks for specing that out for us.

Is this something I can do with the tools I have at home?

Last edited:
I put a DID X Chain and JT Sprockets on my VFR.
Just be aware that you don't need something of the racing chain or sprocket strength but that's up to you.
The NC700X isn't exactly on the horsepower level of a race bike.
My VFR has over twice the horsepower and about half again the top speed of my NCX and I really didn't feel the difference in cost added up to that much more chain/sprocket life. YMMV

I find my DCT gearing suit my needs as Rocker would put;)
start messing around with gearing no doubt will have an affect on mpg.

Besides a chain breaker/riveter tool the torque values on the bolts securing the sprocket to the rear wheel are 80 ft/lbs IIRC and most shade tree techs don't have a 1/2" drive torque wrench. In the old days we had tabbed washers that folded up against the nut to keep them from loosening and possibly jamming the wheel but not anymore.

One could still this job at home and then take the wheel to a proper shop for torquing the nuts. If you bought the sprocket from that shop they might do it for free or the cost of a six pack.

I put a DID X Chain and JT Sprockets on my VFR.
Just be aware that you don't need something of the racing chain or sprocket strength but that's up to you.
The NC700X isn't exactly on the horsepower level of a race bike.
My VFR has over twice the horsepower and about half again the top speed of my NCX and I really didn't feel the difference in cost added up to that much more chain/sprocket life. YMMV
+1. I saw no need to spend $50 more for a chain that had no higher breaking strength and no more warranty than the premium DID VX2 does. $50 is about 1000 miles of gas.

+1. I saw no need to spend $50 more for a chain that had no higher breaking strength and no more warranty than the premium DID VX2 does. $50 is about 1000 miles of gas.

I have to agree with Dave here. I wanted to duplicate Beemephile's order but the gold color seems to add nothing for $51 more. It seems to be the same chain as the "natural" color. Here's the combo I'm considering for $160 or so.

520 Sprocket Kit - Superlite RS7 Steel Sprocket Set with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - HONDA NC 700X 2012-2013
SELECT FRONT SPROCKET SIZE
16T - Stock
SELECT REAR SPROCKET SIZE

43T - Stock
SELECT CHAIN MODEL
DID 520 VX2 series X'ring Chain - NATURAL COLOR (750cc ... SELECT CHAIN MODELDID 520 VX2 series X

I don't race it EVER. I've never red-lined it in 20,000 miles...which I'm fast approaching (or slowly approaching I should say). I baby it and lube it every other fill up.
Now all I need to find out is how much my mechanic (I finally found a good one I trust!) will charge to install.

I have to agree with Dave here. I wanted to duplicate Beemephile's order but the gold color seems to add nothing for $51 more.

The difference in the VX2 and ERV3 is not just the gold color. In fact, the VX2 is available in gold color as well and is DID's most popular chain for good reason - it is a great value. The ERV3 is the lowest friction 520 chain that DID makes (as well as the highest tensile strength). I will be the first to admit that the difference might not be worth $50, but I bought what I thought was the best. Everyone doesn't want it and nobody "needs" it. But chains, tires, oil, filters, bearings I buy the best I can get whether it is justifiable or not.

ETA: It may turn out that as a "racing chain" that it achieves lower friction by not being sealed as tightly and the ERV3 may not even last as long as the VR2. Who knows? I'll know after I run it whether I think it was the right or wrong thing to do and I will adapt as necessary.

Last edited:
Back