• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Shock

I have a Penske that is similar in quality to Ohlins and about the same price. Dealer sells both but he had a slight preference for Penske so I went with his recommendation. Got the $600 version which does not have the remote cylinder for preload adjustment. No modifications required for install. Good solution for me.

I have been emailing a suspension tuner here in Australia. He says:

The top end shock is an Ohlins at approx. $900 & the best all round shock is the Hagon $550 approx. The std shock can improved to a very good level but doesn't have rebound adj to trim for load etc. The other two do have reb adj. Stock shock comp. & reb. damping rate change, piston mods $210 (incl. service).

I'm not willing to spend A$900, but was tempted by the Hagon. Upon google searching though, the Hagon shocks seem to be quite poorly built, with many failures. I will be going for the A$210 service/re-valve of the stock shock, along with cartridge emulators for the forks.

Let us know how the re-valve works out. Sounds interesting.

What is the current consensus on which is the best buy in a replacement rear shock for the Honda Nc700X?
I'm looking for a replacement rear shock that has "easily adjustable" preload and rebound dampening. I would also like a shock that is easy to install, no modifications to the bike or shock to get it fitted, and rebuildable. Do not really want a hard to find a space to mount preload or rebound adjustment remote cylinder. Also do not want to adapt a shock by adding bushing or grinding mounting points to mount. Brand and model would be appreciated.

I'm going to try the racetech G3-S rear shock with new racetech springs and gold valves up front very soon. The rear is rebound and pre load adjustable, I will give my impressions after install. Currently waiting on poorly machined front pre load adjusters to be warrantied right out of the box. The pre load adjusters aren't required, but will make fine tuning very easy for the technician.

Last edited:
I'm going to try the racetech G3r-S rear shock with new racetech springs and gold valves up front very soon. The rear is rebound and pre load adjustable, I will give my impressions after install. Currently waiting on poorly machined front pre load adjusters to be warrantied right out of the box. The pre load adjusters aren't required, but will make fine tuning very easy for the technician.

Interested in hearing how the rear shock works out for you. I've got the R.T. springs and gold valves sitting in my garage now waiting for me to have time to install them, but still unsure of which route to go for the rear shock.

Hi everyone, sorry it took so long for me to follow up here. After the initial install the front gold valves were set up way too stiff for street riding, although the no dive braking was awesome, the ride was much too choppy and it made it difficult to even feel what was going on in the rear for me. The shop I had do the install put the softer springs on the gold valves shortly at no extra charge, awesome. I could not be happier with the suspension, I have about 1500 miles on it now. The choppy rear tire wear i had gotten on my last two sets of tires (Z8 and PR3) is what led me down this road of new suspension, it was obvious the rear tire was not adequately dampened. So far I am not seeing any irregular tire wear, awesome. The bike feels much more solid on bumpy road, at high speed, and over square edge bumps. Lastly I can say it feels much more natural to lean it into turns if that makes sense. Without consciously trying to lean further, its happening. I never ride beyond what i feel comfortable with just for the sake of speeding and the angle of lean i had sort of settled into on my last two sets of tires was apparent in the tire wear and now that area is much closer to the edge of the tire than ever before. I even scraped my right peg the other day (first time ever) so its nice to know that even with the reduced squat in the rear while accelerating through a turn i still hit the peg feeler before running out of lean on the tire. If anyone has any specific questions about my experience with the racetech set up that i did not touch on here, feel free to ask.

Also, did you drill out the stock damping rods before you put the gold valves on the first time? If not, it would cause the ride to be extremely harsh and borderline unridable.

Expensive but these shocks are favored by many over top brands on the market. Just received a return mail...
Hi Craig,

Yes, in fact coincidentally I just shipped a shock today to a customer on the east coast for an NC700X.

Wilbers is running an Oktoberfest special which end next week on Thursday Oct 30th (not 31st). Here are the numbers:

Wilbers model 640 with rebound adjust and manual preload adjust: $619.00, special $557.00, with hydraulic preload adjust $868.00, special $781.00.

Wilbers 641 with remote reservoir for top line performance with high/low speed compression adjusters: $879.00, special $791.00, with hydraulic remote preload adjuster: $1128.00 special $1015.00.

The model 640 is the best seller by far and feedback is excellent. It comes with a manual threaded ring for preload adjusting, if your loads change often you would like the remote preload option.

Wilbers are built to your weight and riding style in Germany. They are fully rebuildable and have a 5 year warranty.

The special prices end on Thursday the 30th, let me know if you'd like to discuss this in further detail.

Thanks for your email.

Best regards,

Ted Porter

Ph: 831-438-1100 ext 113
Cell: 831-420-7776
Fax: 831-438-1104

BeemerShop, Inc.
5100 Scotts Valley Dr.
Suite 100
Scotts Valley, Ca. 95066
WIlbers America Home of Wilbers Shocks

"Wilbers are built to your weight and riding style in Germany."

Let me add that most of you will have the same riding style in your own country as you would in Germany so don't worry about a conversion.

I myself bought a wilbers 640 from Ted about three or four years ago and have been very very happy with the shock. Mine has the remote preload but I never use it (I hardly ever change the setting).

"Wilbers are built to your weight and riding style in Germany."

Let me add that most of you will have the same riding style in your own country as you would in Germany so don't worry about a conversion.

I myself bought a wilbers 640 from Ted about three or four years ago and have been very very happy with the shock. Mine has the remote preload but I never use it (I hardly ever change the setting).
Ha ha. Grammar can confuse things. Should be "Built in Germany to YOUR weight and riding style."

Ha ha. Grammar can confuse things. Should be "Built in Germany to YOUR weight and riding style."
Maybe, maybe not. My weight (too much beer and brats) and riding style (lots of fast sweepers) change while I'm in Germany, compared to when I'm home in Death Valley! So I definitely need adjustability!:rolleyes: I have my suspension built to match the country I'm in?:confused:
Your results may vary!:p

Back