• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PLASTI-DIP - the MATTE BLACK edition.....

[B][COLOR=BLUE][U]WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF YOUR NC ?!?![/COLOR][/U][/B]

• YES !!! She's pretty, but could use a little freshening up....

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • NO !!! ... I Love it.... just the way it is....

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters
Looks good but what is the advantage?

The plastic dip stuff is really neat but I guess the question I have is why are you going to all that effort? There are many very very good spray acrylic and other spray paints on the market that can give you a strong high-gloss finish. Assuming that you do in fact want a high-gloss finish (which may not be the case) what is the advantage of going to this intermediate step?

The plastic dip stuff is really neat but I guess the question I have is why are you going to all that effort? There are many very very good spray acrylic and other spray paints on the market that can give you a strong high-gloss finish. Assuming that you do in fact want a high-gloss finish (which may not be the case) what is the advantage of going to this intermediate step?

Why would you assume he wants to go with a high gloss finish? The very title states: "The MATTE BLACK edition"

The advantage of PlastiDip is the fact that it can be peeled off, if later a different colour is wanted or going back to stock to sell it, etc. I believe it's also cheaper than regular spraypaint.

The finished texture is also something that can be preferred by people not wanting a regular paint-like end result. I finished my skidplate in rockerguard rubberized texture black, for example, and there are others who like a hammered texture type of finish, etc., etc.

One HUGE advantage is the ability to just peel it off and go back to your original finish. I'm actually thinking of using this on my Victory Cross Country saddlebag lids to protect them from scuff marks.

I used Plasti Dip sometime ago and have mentioned it very briefly on here from time to time.
This is a metal Chrome rear light from a Harley Street Bob which I sprayed with Plasti Dip.
It truly is amazing stuff and widely used by people on the Harley forums

rearlight.jpg

They have gloss spray to make the plasti-dip look shinier. But I wanted the matte. They have a wide variety of colors. You can see them at dipyourcar.com, but they are expensive with shipping. Home Depot only had the black, but I'm sure you can find the colors elsewhere.

The only downside I see now is that the durability is not excellent. I have had to do a few touchups where I scuffed it during the install. It was very easy to fix though, and it blends right in with the other coats. I sprayed it on a paintbrush and just touched(not stroked) in the spots. It looks great, and probably the next durable to vinyl wrap, and much less expensive than paint. Like stated before, the great thing is that I can just peel it off if I want to go back to silver.

The durability is quite good actually as a number of people use it to spray front forks. However, I think it does take a couple of goes to get use to applying it correctly. It won't chip like paint as it flexes. It will also take fairly high temperatures.

Last edited:
@Jay Fridays
It's beautiful... I'm convinced now that I will use Plasti-Dip.

Also wonder about the range of temp it can stand (mostly due to my location and pretty hot summers).

The owner of dipyourcar.com actually posted a recent video showing his own car. His muffler tip has been Dipped for like 9months or so with no problems. He said he has an open exhaust system that runs pretty hot also. Check out the dipyourcar videos on youtube.[video=youtube;vvkq-qyY9aY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited:
Great vid, definitely picking up a few cans when I visit the Weat Coasr next month :)

Great vid, definitely picking up a few cans when I visit the West Coast next month :)

You need one can to do a single coat on every colored plastic on the bike. ( rattle can coats are about 1/4 as thick as a spray gun coat ) So you need about 15 cans ($6 each) minimum to do the entire bike really well with rattle cans. And a few more for when you screw up, or something horrible happens during the painting/drying/reassembling/riding process (something horrible WILL happen).... I am surprised that you can't just get it at Home depot... Or dipyourcar.com(outrageous shipping prices)

Last edited:
The owner of dipyourcar.com actually posted a recent video showing his own car.
His muffler tip has been Dipped for like 9months or so with no problems.
He said he has an open exhaust system that runs pretty hot also.

If he cut the cat out, then that exhaust would generate a lot less heat
than if it still had the cat in, wouldn't it? Maybe that's why the dip holds
up in his application. Just wonderin'.

Back