• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

one thing I don't like about this bike - gearbox

W

wildeone

I don't know how you guys riding but my shifter is notchy, clunky and not smooth as I would like.
Especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

DCT or manual? I know the DCT clunks into 2nd if you use sport shifting, in drive mode it does relatively fine though, higher rpm switches probably causes the clunk i think.

I don't really have any problems with mine, maybe there's an adjustment or something to help.

DCT or manual? I know the DCT clunks into 2nd if you use sport shifting, in drive mode it does relatively fine though, higher rpm switches probably causes the clunk i think.

forgot to mention, I have manual of course.
I tried to adjust clutch cable but no luck. Funny thing problems are not always,
they come and go. Usually in worse moment, like I am passing or something.

I have a manual (700). Shifts are smooth as butter. 17,000 miles of break in time. Dino oil.

The only advice I could give is to make sure the shifter lever is adjusted to match your boot thickness and foot angle.

Last edited:
The NC700X has a "Constant Mesh" transmission!! There are no Syncronizers like those found in most Automobile Transmissions!! Smooth "Clunkless" shifts are possible but not every time even with the most experienced riders!! The Constant Mesh transmission will (almost) always clunk when shifting from neutral to First when the engine is running!!

If your clutch completely disengages when in gear & sitting still, , & engages smoothly & doesn't slip when moving & with throttle applied, , , then you probably have a properly operating clutch!!

The most common transmission killer are harsh shifts like kicking/stomping on the shift lever!! The force from those harsh shifts transmit directly to the shift forks, , which determines gear engagement!! Not enough engagement can result in damage to the gears & symptoms like jumping out of gear!!

Newer transmissions have devices that help prevent damage from harsh shifts but those won't help the Clunkiness!!

Practice smooth shifts is the best solution!!

The NC700X has a "Constant Mesh" transmission!! There are no Syncronizers like those found in most Automobile Transmissions!! Smooth "Clunkless" shifts are possible but not every time even with the most experienced riders!! The Constant Mesh transmission will (almost) always clunk when shifting from neutral to First when the engine is running!!

If your clutch completely disengages when in gear & sitting still, , & engages smoothly & doesn't slip when moving & with throttle applied, , , then you probably have a properly operating clutch!!

The most common transmission killer are harsh shifts like kicking/stomping on the shift lever!! The force from those harsh shifts transmit directly to the shift forks, , which determines gear engagement!! Not enough engagement can result in damage to the gears & symptoms like jumping out of gear!!

Newer transmissions have devices that help prevent damage from harsh shifts but those won't help the Clunkiness!!

Practice smooth shifts is the best solution!! ��

thanks for the info, that would explain it. Are there any bikes with synchronizers btw?
As for the damage I never force the gear to kick in, if it don't want to I re-clutch it and try again.

As mentioned above, an overly slack chain can contribute to imprecise changes. A dry gear change lever pivot will also cause problems. Too much oil in the crankcase can cause the clutch to drag or an oil viscosity that is too heavy. Also having the lever in the incorrect position for your foot doesn't help. Those are the immediate aspects of poor gear changes that I can think of.

The gear change on this motorcycle, for me, is one of the best of all my bikes. Only once did it become difficult to change smoothly and that was on a cold winters evening and it only lasted for about 15 miles. I have not experienced it since despite riding in similar temperatures.

I have often heard of folks liking gearboxes on certain bikes and others disliking them. Hopefully you will figure yours out.

As far as I know, there are no Honda motorcycle transmissions that use synchronizers and I'd guess that's also true for most motorcycles. Using synchros in place of constant mesh would make the transmission very long so it's not a good system for a motorcycle engine.

ps. In the world of autos from my drag racing days as a kid, it was common for the 1st-to-2nd synchro to go bad early and once that occurred it would always grind gears on that shift..

Last edited:
I can quite significantly alter the shifting dynamics & feel of the bike based upon _how_ I shift. Shift feel also changes as the oil warms up, and to a lesser degree based upon exactly what oil one uses (I'm not getting into that, except that it's worth noting within the context of this thread that fluid affects feel). Now, the 1-2 shift is always clunkier than the rest, as one is crossing over neutral. The rest are super-smooth for me, though. Again, I can significantly alter the feel based upon how I try to shift (lightning fast shifts & clutch work vs. moderate speed shifts vs. slower shifts & clutch work).

Once you've checked & adjusted external things as suggested by others already, my suggestion is to try some different styles for a while and see what sort of effect it has for you. I have ~26,000 miles on mine (manual shift, if that's not already apparent), and it has shifted quite smoothly for me since it had perhaps a couple thousand miles on it, unless I lose my 'rhythm.' :)

Once you've checked & adjusted external things as suggested by others already, my suggestion is to try some different styles for a while and see what sort of effect it has for you. I have ~26,000 miles on mine (manual shift, if that's not already apparent), and it has shifted quite smoothly for me since it had perhaps a couple thousand miles on it, unless I lose my 'rhythm.' :)

well, in some situations on and off road you cannot always wait for your rhythm :) If I need to shift it maybe emergency and I need bike to do what I want, not otherwise.
When I ride steady for relaxing ride usually shifter is good, but motorcycle is not only for that if you know what I mean.

Anyway thanks everybody for tips, will have to check clutch and gearbox at my 12k km service which is due soon.

Have you ever had the bike not do what you want? I have never had that issue, regardless how unexpected or rapid a shift was.

I'll be interested to hear whether you find anything out of adjustment.

I agree the transmission is one of my complaints. I also have a CBR250R, which shifts so nice. When I switch to the NC700x I feel like I'm shifting a tractor. Big clunky shifts.

Clunkiness is normal to me-I have purchased 5 new bikes since 07 (still own 3 of them) and they all clunk from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd (as my C50 Boulevard does). The bmw g650gs I had was really clunky (my buddy's bmw clunks so loud I can hear it even if he is 30 yards in front of me). My Kawa KLX 250SF has the less amount of clunkiness, but it still clunks from 1st to 2nd. I have never ridden with sport bikes, so I am not familiar with their transmissions. I do notice on the Honda, many of the above suggestions do effect the loudness of the clunks; how old is the oil, how tight (loose) is the chain, what weight oil am I running in the bike. I don't worry about it, I just consider it normal for a bike.

Mine clunks. I don't like it at all.
Is especially loud and hard clunking into 1st if I am just starting out. So much so I like to pull in the clutch and start the bike in gear.
While on the go, 1st to 2nd usually clunks but the rest go pretty smooth.

I enjoy the clunk :D.

Huh?! You're kidding, I'm sure.

My F800ST was so much fun to ride because of the silky smooth 6 speed. Riding bikes like that will make one hate even the slightest clunkiness.
My DCT clunks going into 1st (which even my F8 did slightly) and clunks slightly into 2nd. On up, it is smooth and fairly smooth on down shifts.

Some bikes are inherently clunky and I don't think any amount of adjustments will change that much, but I could be wrong.

guys, it's not the clunk I am complaining about but incidents of locked shifter on first or neutral when I want to go up to second so I have to re-clutch.
Clunkiness well, while it's not nice It's not that of an issues. Most bikes do that I know.

proper shifting requires lots of practice. many believe that they can do it and in really it does not match what a professional rider can do.

but anyhow, only two things can be happening in this situation.

you either has a mechanical issue or you need to improve your way of shifting.

i think you are gonna have to find another NC rider and switch bike and see if it feels the same

Back