• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New tires

Hmcp88

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I just got to 10k and needed some tires. Well mainly just the rear but I don't like the metzelers they feel sketchy in the rain which it has been doing a lot of here recently. So I spooned on some new Michelin pilot road 3's which are nice looking and balanced out with the factory weights in like 30 minutes, very easy bike to work on. The factory rear tire was millimeters from the wear bars in some spots so with Texas coming up I figured I better change them. Ill post back after the ride home.ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365200076.967225.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365200096.023241.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365200106.127248.jpg

Two brothers racing. Black series. By the way ride home was good. They do have a slight bit of tire noise from the front but it isn't unbearable and was expected with the amount of "siping" on this set. Feel good in the corners just as michelins always do. Can't wait for some more rain!

Last edited:
I have a set of those on the RT and love them. I burned through several sets of PR2s on the ST and they were by far my favorite tires for that bike as well. It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage people can get from those tires on the NC.
Mike

The Pilot Road 3 has been my favorite tire on the ST1300 since it's introduction. It's a sporty handling good mileage tire that gives up very little in handling for the increased wear it provides on that heavy powerful bike but when I had to replace the 700X's rear at 8000 miles I chose to replace it with another Z8. I think the Metzelers complement the X's nimble handling and are as good or better in the rain than the Michelins. I like the Z8's flared sidewall that appears to add a few millimeters of tread width at the very edges. Here is an objective test of the Z8 compared to the PR3:

Metzeler Z8 wins Motorrad award - Product News - Visordown

I know I am reviving an old thread but in case anyone is curious I just changed the Michelin Pilot Road 3's that I put on at the start of this thread. They have 14, 250 miles on them and the tire has been plugged for 12,000 of that. The rear could make it to 15,000 but the plug is loosing 4-6 psi every couple days now and I'm not looking for a blowout. If you don't catch a nail I don't see why everyone can't easily get 15,000 miles out of these tires.
ezymu3eq.jpg

Last edited:
I only got 8,500km out of the rear Metzler Z8 that came stock on my NC700sa. I picked up a Road Pilot 3 and I'm quite happy with it. I'm anxious to see how it wears. There seems to be a pretty clear consensus on the forum that the RP3s are a great tire for the NC!

I know I am reviving an old thread but in case anyone is curious I just changed the Michelin Pilot Road 3's that I put on at the start of this thread. They have 14, 250 miles on them and the tire has been plugged for 12,000 of that. The rear could make it to 15,000 but the plug is loosing 4-6 psi every couple days now and I'm not looking for a blowout. If you don't catch a nail I don't see why everyone can't easily get 15,000 miles out of these tires.

Thanks for the report back! I could live with 15,000 miles.

Are they a lot more expensive compared to the metzelers?

Currently on Revzilla the PR3 is ~$10 cheaper. The Z8s are considered a more sporty tire and the PR3 a more touring tire. The consensus of reviews seem to be and my personal opinion is the PR3s are a little slower to turn in but the pluses far out way that minor difference. Pluses being: better in rain, handle gravel in the road better, better on unpaved roads, and last longer.

I wish. I just came in from measuring my PR3 tread depth at 4/32" which is a bit more than 50% gone at 4,600 miles. I'll be lucky to get 9,000 miles.

I wish. I just came in from measuring my PR3 tread depth at 4/32" which is a bit more than 50% gone at 4,600 miles. I'll be lucky to get 9,000 miles.

Thats no good, I don't understand why because im not the nicest to tires but always seem to get good mileage. The only thing i do that most dont i check the pressures every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back