• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Advice on Oil Change?

I use the 'cap' style of wrench on this bike because:
1) It has a drive hole for my torque wrench,
2) I didn't have a wrench that would fit the ludicrously over-tight factory filter (ironic that, since we're all harping on proper torque), and
3) It was the cheaper of the two options at the dealer.
Since the Honda filter uses an o-ring rather than a flat gasket, it has a torque spec (most flat-gasket filters spec gasket contact + a certain portion of a turn). O-rings often spec a torque rather than contact+, IME. Anyway, that's how I do it. Just did my second oil change this week! Lubrication Engineers' motor oils kinda wig me out because they're colored red, like ATF. :)

Last edited:
I am not sure why everyone thinks the oil filter from the factory is over tight????? The factory filter is torqued to 19 foot pounds, with a dry o-ring and oil only on the treads, this is done at the factory , on the production line there can be no oil, or grease leaking from any assembly. That is why they come off hard. If you read the shop manual it says to only oil the treads not the o-ring. With that said the more general common service manual does say to oil the o-ring, they are easyer to remove if oiled, but do not over torque...
Dale

Dale

I appreciate that you are willing to participate in this forum add give the benefit of your experience. I'm sure you don't have to come here seeking answers like most of us do.

There are alot of nc owners out there, and a vast amount of good tips and advice.. I need your help with a problem that just came up, does anyone have the side plastic off and can see the latch for the trunk????? I have one that the key turns to the right but will not open the trunk, it will turn to the left and open the seat, since i cant see the latch, and do not have another bike in stock to look at, i am trying to fine the best way to not hurt the bike and get the trunk open, honda has not had this problem reported to them. This is my bike and its going to the seattle bike show friday threw sunday, then i will have to get the trunk open after that. I have on order a new latch assembly, but i may have to drill threw the plastic by the lock cylinder to trip the latch open, anyone have one apart and can take a picture as to were i might drill?? Maybe i should just shoot the lock with my 9mm???

Dale,
Take a look at the Service Manual pages. I believe 2-15 may help with the location if you don't already have the manual. Hope this helps.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Thank you for posting the pics. I do have the shop manual, it looks like i may need to drill just to the right of the lock to get to the cable and manually pull it. I was hopeing for maybe a pic of the right side were the cable is to see if i can come under the plastic with a stainless rod and pull on the cable housing hard enough to open the trunk. Then i could remove all the plastic and see what has happen to the latch. This one has failed, more are sure to follow, when i get it apart i will start a new post on how to open the trunk with the least amount of damage. And thank you for your input. Dale

Last edited:
Interesting about the dry o-rings. Also interesting that the model-specific shop manual, the general shop manual, and the filter itself give different procedures for installation. Thanks for the info. Given that a dry vs wet o-ring changes the torque necessary to achieve a given crush on the o-ring, do you think the model-specific manual is assuming you've disassembled the engineand are putting it back together, or is it merely a case of a torque wrench isn't quite so critical after all. ;)

Not sure if this will help or not. I took a shot of the release cable through this hole:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2115-lock1.jpg

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2114-lock.jpg

You can see the cable sheath in the square hole closest to the camera. Then is the sheath holder. Then the actual cable going to the white plastic connector that looks like it turns with the key.

WGW

I think the torque is very close, but without the oil on the o-ring the filter comes off hard. i always use a little oil on them. Dale.

Back