• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Modified Stock Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like an idea....or maybe PCH1 trip next time im down in your neck of the woods.
Well I was looking at the link pipe that eliminates the cat n thats about another 300+. Im gona have to look into the poor mans alternative.... Man I wish I could do it right now but have to go and do some overtime tonight so I have the funds for everything else I wana do to my 2 wheeled girl.

here you would get ya bike impounded by the boys in blue for excessive loud pipes.
If it's too loud, You're too old !!!

age got frigging all to about it ,I never liked loud pipes even 40 years ago.
so ya can stick ya loud pipes where the sun doesn't shine!

no doubt in a few years time you will regret it coz you'll be wearing these v and dont give me the crap oh I wear plugs
and if so what's the point of loud cans v
v
all_hearing_aids.png

Last edited:
Loud pipes create a PR problem for motorcycles and are ammunition used to restrict access rights of motorcycles. Several places in my area have banned ALL motorcycles because of loud pipes. My college alumni group has get-togethers at Atlanta's Atlantic Station. When I go I have to drive my truck because no motorcycles are allowed because of LOUD PIPES. Hodges Gardens is a beautiful place to drive through, but no motorcycles allowed because of LOUD PIPES. Doesn't matter if you are on a Harley or Vespa.

So yes, the future of motorcycling in the U.S. is negatively affected by loud pipes, and in some places I would like to ride but can't, the future is already here BECAUSE OF LOUD PIPES.

And I may be 61 but am not too old. I am just mature enough to restrict my actions that are offensive to others.

Last edited:
Loud pipes create a PR problem for motorcycles and are ammunition used to restrict access rights of motorcycles. Several places in my area have banned ALL motorcycles because of loud pipes. My college alumni group has get-togethers at Atlanta's Atlantic Station. When I go I have to drive my truck because no motorcycles are allowed because of LOUD PIPES. Hodges Gardens is a beautiful place to drive through, but no motorcycles allowed because of LOUD PIPES. Doesn't matter if you are on a Harley or Vespa.

So yes, the future of motorcycling in the U.S. is negatively affected by loud pipes, and in some places I would like to ride but can't, the future is already here BECAUSE OF LOUD PIPES.

And I may be 61 but am not too old. I am just mature enough to restrict my actions that are offensive to others.

I see your point. Problem is there is no rule banning motorcycles. They do seem quite worried about noise though:
"A. Act responsibly. Please refrain from...
Shouting, making loud noises, or using indecent language. Loud and boisterous behavior. Playing loud music, as defined by Atlantic Station Management, district officials, security, or the police department. Defacing, damaging, or destroying any property belonging to the district, its patrons, or its tenants. Assembling in a manner which disturbs the public peace. None of these types of conduct will be tolerated."

Or perhaps this is the rule you misunderstood:
"Vehicles left in unauthorized areas are subject to parking citation and removal from the property. Atlantic Station is a no cruising zone. All vehicles entering the property must proceed directly to parking in the parking garage or metered parking spaces opposed to circling streets and/or property in vehicle. No loud music/noise. Loud motorcycles or cars are not permitted in the retail district of Atlanta Station or in the garage."

Anyone can go read the rules and check if I've missed something here Atlantic Station - Rules

I looked into the park rules and motorcycles are banned from driving on their trail system just like every other motorized vehicle. Nothing special there. http://www.crt.state.la.us/parks/iFAQ.aspx#ATV

In any case there is no rule saying motorcycles are banned, just "loud" motorcycles and cars.

It'll happen the same way it did for cars. You wanna run straight pipes and glass packs, you'll be getting a ticket. The PR problem is not an issue for motorcycles as a whole, it rests solely on the motorcycles with loud pipes. Just like it did for cars and truck that were too loud years ago. If they want to put a DB limit on motorcycles, and they probably will at some point, I'd go with it. But suggesting that motorcycles will be banned from public areas is just preposterous.

Regards,
Cburn

Atlantic Station will not let a motorcycle in parking lot. Street parking is very limited spaces with limited time. So they don't stop you from riding down the street, but won't let you stay. My group stopped meeting there so I haven't been for a year.

LOL All that noise for what, a 2 HP gain on a 50 HP bike, not worth it. I had a Lazer exhaust on my klx650, now that was worth it, it was lighter then stock, all stainless steel, had a deep tone at only 1 db over stock and gave me more mid range, I would say 2 to 4 HP gain on my 45 HP bike. I still have it, wonder if I could adapt it to the nc700?

I guess if you get stopped for doing 30 MPH over the limit your defence would be well the other guy was doing 40 over. ask most non riders what they dislike most about bikes and the most common answer would be noise. remember most law makers are non riders.
Could someone please explain what the attraction of loud pipes is as I have never got it. Please don't give me the old line "Loud pipes save lives" as there is NO evidence for it. If it were true more Wing riders would be killed than sports bike riders and that is certainly not the case

Well a Wing does occupy almost as much space as a car, so louder pipes really aren't needed.......

I'm seeing a bunch of people with different views on a topic trying to impose their views on the other party, and in my experience that doesn't work. So really, what's the point?

I learned my lesson with the shower cap bike seat cover in a different thread, EVERYBODY is entitled to their own opinion. I love the sound of a really well done exhaust on a sport bike. I don't care who else does. It is too subjective in every way and changes with the mood you are in when you hear it, proximity to the biker, weather, etc.

Wow take a day off to set up my new computer and found that the thread I wanted to post on had gone to heck. FREE EXCHANGE OF INFOMATION guys (and ladies) if you disagree remember to keep it civil. OK so I decided to attack the stock exhaust today because, well until the VA gets it's act together I am one poor son of a gun and I want that Leo Vince sound.....or some semblance there of. So I pulled it, went in the end with a long bit, knocked out a chunk the size of the exhaust pipe and fitted it for sound. It was Ok, but still kind of tinny. The guitar player in me took over and I figured the worst I could do was make it sound terrible and have an excuse to bug family for money to buy another (lots of revving in my brothers gated retirement community). Rather than go all out and drill from the outside of the "chrome cone", I started with smaller bits that would go between it and the pipe, in the gap area around the pipe. Mine is not perfectly centered so I kept all my smaller bits handy. Drill baby, drill. I started with a larger one that I could fit, drilled and checked the sound. Five holes of different sizes got me fairly close to what I was hoping for, not perfect but within reason. It's not loud enough to offend anyone (even my 84yo mother) and at 25mph you loose most of what you do hear to behind you.....except....and this was a pleasant surprise to me....A low tone that is a barely auditable growl. I mean like a pissed off pit bull trying to sneak up on you from behind. Just a low grumble that I don't know how it sounds from anywhere else, but from the saddle it would give you chills at 45 to 55mph. I think I met my goal of not having an exhaust that sounds like a sewing machine (hand to god I heard it from a homeless at a stop light, I was mad as hell), it not being offensively loud while sounding cool as hell from the saddle. As you can also see from the photos, I painted that big ugly chrome thing and made it look smaller (black is tinning, I asked a lady) but left just enough chrome to say "hey". I hope you all like....if not....it's mine and I play with it anyway I want.......so there! (jokes and sarcasm folks, it's the best I got)
sorry for the focus, not sure what was up with my phones camera.
IMG_20130622_175919.jpgIMG_20130622_175925.jpgIMG_20130622_175931.jpg

You also meet the nicest people while test riding a Honda, she says "Hi to all the forum members and she loves NCs"
IMG_20130622_193355.jpg

Last edited:
Wow take a day off to set up my new computer and found that the thread I wanted to post on had gone to heck. FREE EXCHANGE OF INFOMATION guys (and ladies) if you disagree remember to keep it civil.

Like any "mod" I'm always glad to hear details, see the photos, and learn something.

I would say that's a nice piece of work there. I like the flat black color!

StratTuner;45555[COLOR="#FF0000" said:
]Like any "mod"[/COLOR] I'm always glad to hear details, see the photos, and learn something.

I would say that's a nice piece of work there. I like the flat black color!

aye and I do like them jubilees;)

Well Mr Duke Im glad that the thread helped and you were able to get what you wanted out of your NC for FREEEEE!!!!! Like the all black can might black mine out all the way also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back