• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mexico

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Leaving on my NC for Mexico trip on Feb. 8th. So far two folks going. If anyone wishes to go let me know by PM.
Going to Baja, and Copper Canyon.

Are going with a "Guide" or on your own??

Alfred

The other person going has been to Baja Mexico before, so for the most part we are going places he has been before. He drives a BMW R1200GS. We are going to take the ferry from Baja to the Mexico main land, and neither of us have done that before.

Last edited:
Necessities to Ride Mexico:

Passport
Valid Motorcycle Drivers License
Title to Vehicle
Current Vehicle Registration
Credit Card with same name as other documents
Travel Guard or some other medical insurance plan
Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP)
Mexican Vehicle Insurance

12 days of Mexico motorcycle insurance from Sanborn is:

$83 for liability insurance OR $125.08 for full coverage 10% deductible. Roadside and medical is not sold to motorcycles in Mexico by Sanborn.

At the border have all The Originals in your hands to show. However, also carry copies of all, else you will have to pay Mexico pricing to have them copied.

Travel Guard Medical insurance is $48.00.

Baja Ferry is $75 for you and $75 for the NC700.

Last edited:
The route for ride:

Houston to San Ysidro, California via Interstate 10 and Interstate 8 - 3 to 4 days

Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas via Mexico 1 - 3 days to 4 days

Ferry from La Paz to Topolobampo - 1 day for ferry ride - trying to get ferry schedule as it does not run year round.

Los Mochis though Copper Canyon to Chihuahua Sanborn is suppose to email me the map thorough Copper Canyon - 3 to 4 days

Chihuahua to El Paso - 1 day

El Paso to Houston - 1 day

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

Last edited:
Did a trip solo in 1978 on a Suzuki GS 750 from Calgary Alberta to La Paz ferryed over to Mazatlan for a while and return . The further south of the border into Baja the fuel was real bad. The Bike was carbed so maybe now with fuel injection and better fuel the problem no longer exits.It ran so bad at times I was really scared a few times of it packing her in for good. It was far between fuel stations but I do not remember running out, I forget what milage I got on that bike. Did the same trip with two good friends in 1980 in a new vw camper van, great trip but I learned and installed extra fuel filters and spares as well as octane booster and had less trouble but still ran like crap. I have not been back and I am sure things have changed and there are a lot more new gas stations and traffic. If your buddy has not talked about it I guess the fuel has gotten better. Sounds like fun.Ride safe.

No gas stations between Tijuana, Mexico and Loreto, Mexico about 700 miles. They had a bad hurricane about a year ago. I carry enough gas with me for 350 miles. Marty's BMW holds 8 gallons. There are pickup trucks parked on the side of the roadway with 55 gallon drums, that is your filling stations. Do not pass up a fuel truck!

If you don't go down you ain't been to this town. Batopiles.

[video=youtube;pHX8YfkEQ4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHX8YfkEQ4E[/video]

And when the road is at its best - Lookout! Yipes! Pipes!

[video=youtube;aKaJsEmOHc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKaJsEmOHc4[/video]

Last edited:
OCR, I'm envious! Looking forward to a ride report and pics and wish I could tag along! Have a grand adventure!

Roborider - NC700x - Southwest Virginia

Got all the paper work done with the bank of Mexico last week. Now just waiting on the vehicle permits to get here so I can leave. Purchased the insurance thought Sanborn.

Have a safe trip! I had several friends that did Copper Canyon a couple years ago. All I saw was the pictures but they had a great time.

DHL just delivered my "Permiso De Importacion Temporal De Vehiculos", so I will be off to Mexico come the 8th of Feb. How things have changed sense my last trip to Mexico. Almost every thing is now done on line.

Back