• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dog attacks while riding two wheelers.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe a motorcycle forum is not the best place to ask, but does anyone have problems with dogs while riding a scooter or bicycle on rural roads? I am often being charged by dogs coming from rural houses when riding rural roads on the motorcycle, but I can outrun or outsmart them if I’m paying attention. However, on a bicycle or scooter, the dogs present a bigger challange/danger. I bring up this topic because yesterday my wife and I were on an evening ride on 49cc scooters when two dogs charged out onto the public roadway from a rural house. I slowed, rather than speed ahead leaving my wife vulnerable behind me. In the chaos that ensued, still on the public roadway, I was bit on the leg by the German Shepard. The owner came out, and swore it never happened before and offerred apologies, but that doesn’t change the fact that I have a dog bite on my thigh. I got the owner’s name and number and I have her address.

This is not at all the first time we’ve had incidents with dogs and altercations with the dog owners, but it’s the first injury.

My “plan A” going forward is to strap a holster holding a can of bear spray to the scooter and to the bicycle, and be ready to use it any time I’m being charged by animals. I figure anytime the dog enters the roadway, I am justified in using strong defense methods. Does anyone have experience with and methods for dealing with vicious dogs charging two wheelers? Any other equipment I might bring along to improve my safety? No mentioning of guns, please.

Try attaching something like Dog Horn XL to the handlebars with a velcro. It came in handy a few times on walks with my dog.
Good idea. I used air horns 50 years ago why I rode a bicycle in the country. I think I still have such a horn that I kept with me when camping in bear country.

We have one spot on our daily rides where a dog runs out and chases us, but his run is longer than ours and just a little throttle leaves him in the dust, but it happens every time we ride that route.

We saw lots of by the side of the road dogs in W Va and Va last week, but none chased us.

Last edited:
We have one spot on our daily rides where a dog runs out and chases us, but his run is longer than ours and just a little throttle leaves him i. The dust, but it happens every time we ride that route.

We saw lots of by the side of the road dogs in W Va and Va last week, but none chased us.
Yes, I routinely encounter several dogs where I have learned their location, behavior, and abilities. All fun and games until the dog you don’t know about gets right in your path and interferes with your travel, or actually launches an attack. I’m done making assumptions that the dog encounters will always turn out well.

The county I live in would allow me to have the dog owner charged. Much of the county is rural but that shouldn’t change things. I am sure it’s the “first time” but the first time the dog gets into the neighbor’s chickens the neighbor would put an end to the dog.

I own three dogs.

An encounter with a cattle prod will change the dog's outlook. Not terribly practical on a small scooter, though.

I like cats and dogs. I've no wish nor desire to be 'mean' to them. Nevertheless, dogs charging out and apparently trying to bite me, my wife, my kids... get dealt with harshly; potentially fatally, if they actually bite one of us.

Perhaps I'm 'old.'

The county I live in would allow me to have the dog owner charged. Much of the county is rural but that shouldn’t change things. I am sure it’s the “first time” but the first time the dog gets into the neighbor’s chickens the neighbor would put an end to the dog.

I own three dogs.
Thanks for the comments. I am in touch with law enforcement and animal control. I’m learning what my options are.

It’s a small county with a total of two traffic lights.

I suspect we all encounter this from time to time. I just try to ignore them. If they get close enough I try to kick them. Most times I miss but it makes them change course. When you do connect, I cannot deny to getting immense satisfaction from the squeal.

First time my arse, the standard dog owner response.

I was charged by, and almost ran over a leashed dog. Couldn't move away due to oncoming traffic. Owner pulled the leash just in time.

Yes, on my bicycle. I need to invest in a solid stick for thwacking. It's a recumbent so kicking out is difficult and dangerous. Good point on bear spray since we have deer, bears, coyotes, etc. all the good stuff.

Your town has one more traffic light than mine...

LOL our town has three, one at each end of one mile long Main Street where it meets the State Route and the road where the post office is on meets the State Route.

LOL our town has three, one at each end of one mile long Main Street where it meets the State Route and the road where the post office is on meets the State Route.
Your town has one more traffic light than mine...

My town has none. I mentioned that my whole county has just two traffic lights.

Back on topic, my county apparently has lots of dogs.

What if you were a kid on a bicycle? What kind of damage would that dog have done? If your wound requires medical care your insurance company will probably go after the dog owner.

I don’t care if it’s the first time, if a dog bites me or my family; the dog dies.

It’s very common for dogs to try and chase me on my motorcycle, never had one get close enough to concern me though.

In most places if a dog bites you, you may respond with lethal force (depending on the size of the dog anyway). I’d be concerned with any spray because your wife may ride through it. On a scooter I would wear full height boots and carry a knife large enough to deal with the dog. I’m thinking K-bar size. Not sure if that’s practical on a bicycle. If you’re not the stabby type then perhaps a collapsible Bataan would work for you. If a dog is large enough to worry you and aggressive enough to bite then I’d say you need a physical defense solution.

We had another event today. Different dogs, different house, different bikes, different county. Two dogs run out into the roadway as I buzzed past on the Zero. The two dogs are now out dancing all over the roadway barking up a storm. My wife who was behind me on her Ryker refuses to try to ride through the circus. After 2-3 minutes of standoff, the dogs apparently tire of the barking and dancing and retreat partly into their yard, allowing my wife to pass. Even with all the noise, no dog owners come out to call the dogs off. While there was no direct attack and no injury, this is still getting old.

In most places if a dog bites you, you may respond with lethal force (depending on the size of the dog anyway). I’d be concerned with any spray because your wife may ride through it. On a scooter I would wear full height boots and carry a knife large enough to deal with the dog. I’m thinking K-bar size. Not sure if that’s practical on a bicycle. If you’re not the stabby type then perhaps a collapsible Bataan would work for you. If a dog is large enough to worry you and aggressive enough to bite then I’d say you need a physical defense solution.
That might work in your neck of the woods but for the rest of the world you will end up in a world of hurt. In the UK for example, you are not allowed to carry a locking blade penknife, never mind an AR-15 assault rifle.

That might work in your neck of the woods but for the rest of the world you will end up in a world of hurt. In the UK for example, you are not allowed to carry a locking blade penknife, never mind an AR-15 assault rifle.
Well 670cc is based in the USA and that was the lens I was looking through. Obviously other countries are different but here both solutions are viable as long as you don’t brandish them against people.

Had a thought, maybe you could ask you local post office how they handle dogs. They should definitely have some experience

Back