• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

May/June 2015 Grand Canyon Trip

I figured .
You guys going to meet us on the 8th? I've found some free camping close by the North Rim if you're camping.

That timeline pretty tough for me to meet. Leaving on Sat it would take me until the 8th to get into Kansas then 3 more to North Rim. Banjoferg when were you planning to set out?

That timeline pretty tough for me to meet. Leaving on Sat it would take me until the 8th to get into Kansas then 3 more to North Rim. Banjoferg when were you planning to set out?
I'm completely open, schedule-wise. I work from home and can also work from the bike. I was figuring at least 3-4 days to get to the rim, but as I said...I'm very flexible.

I'd love to go with you guys but I doubt I will be able to pull it off. I've been to the North Rim once before and it's worth the trip. There should be plenty of places to camp near the entrance to the park.

Note: Point Sublime is NOT on a dirt road. It's very much of a jeep trail and it is muddy, rocky and hilly. I would not attempt without full knobbies on the bike. It is on my list of places to get to......I've tried once in a 4X4 truck and limped back to pavement (long story).

The northern route through Taos on Hwy 64 and on to four corners and Page is nice route if you're coming from the east. Hwy 89A to Jacob Lake is on my "must return" list of places to ride. I love the west!
Mike

I'd love to go with you guys but I doubt I will be able to pull it off. I've been to the North Rim once before and it's worth the trip. There should be plenty of places to camp near the entrance to the park.

Note: Point Sublime is NOT on a dirt road. It's very much of a jeep trail and it is muddy, rocky and hilly. I would not attempt without full knobbies on the bike. It is on my list of places to get to......I've tried once in a 4X4 truck and limped back to pavement (long story).

The northern route through Taos on Hwy 64 and on to four corners and Page is nice route if you're coming from the east. Hwy 89A to Jacob Lake is on my "must return" list of places to ride. I love the west!
Mike

Bug Dr the route thru Taos was my return trip to Pa. Always wanted to see Sheriff McCloud came from.

Mike

Killjoy! Dang I want to go there!

Wish you could go, too!
So, if I had OCR's money, I could ride to the area, have knobbies put on locally and then attempt it! And I wouldn't have to spend my money..... :eek:

Wish you could go, too!
So, if I had OCR's money, I could ride to the area, have knobbies put on locally and then attempt it! And I wouldn't have to spend my money..... :eek:

OCR needs to come so we can hear his stories of Mexico and beyond. I'm about 2 days out from Banjo if I hammer and the weather's ok. Last year I hit that area and the winds blew me all over the road and I spent extra day to get to Palo Duro Canyon south of Amarillo

OCR needs to come so we can hear his stories of Mexico and beyond. I'm about 2 days out from Banjo if I hammer and the weather's ok. Last year I hit that area and the winds blew me all over the road and I spent extra day to get to Palo Duro Canyon south of Amarillo
I see you've spent some time with him, too! :D

Wish you could go, too!

Don't panic there are plenty of rides in the area we can handle. I've got off road maps of Az and Ut.

Don't panic there are plenty of rides in the area we can handle. I've got off road maps of Az and Ut.

Don't really care about getting off-raod too much but I do want to try to go to Sublime Point. I've also been told if the weather is dry enough it may be doable. I'm willing to go until I can't! Even if we can't get to Sublime Point the North Rim Park should be a nice view. Also, I have this-
Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!
and this-
Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!
as back up spots.
Bring your maps though- even the best laid plans.....

This trip sounds like a lot of fun. I am trying to figure out if I can make it work. When you guys talk about camping does that include cooking meals? I love to camp, but would rather not have to worry about preparing meals and cleaning dishes. Restaurants are my preference on a trip like this, especially when we are setting up camp each night.

I was there last October. You will enjoy a great and very scenic trip. Be sure you have your bash plate for the last couple of miles in because it's designated for high clearance vehicles only. NCs won't have much problem but if you bottom out on some of those rocks it could be a problem without a good skid plate. Have fun!

This trip sounds like a lot of fun. I am trying to figure out if I can make it work. When you guys talk about camping does that include cooking meals? I love to camp, but would rather not have to worry about preparing meals and cleaning dishes. Restaurants are my preference on a trip like this, especially when we are setting up camp each night.

I will always have at least a couple of freeze-dried meals with me. Just heat water and eat. I'm open for restaurant meals also. There's also canned fish & crackers (which I love), nuts, fruit, energy bars and such to get you to the next restaurant. What I like to do is stop at a grocery store and get that nights' meal before going to camp. Something easy like bratwurst or burgers - nothing too hard.
Mornings, I WILL HAVE COFFEE - lol!
I don't know about fire restrictions out there. This is as far west as I've been as an adult.

Keep in touch!

goodvibes- I do have my bash plate. Did you go on a motorcycle?

Back