• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

May/June 2015 Grand Canyon Trip

Not sure of your routes, if I will use US 160 thru Southern Kansas and Colorado then thru Monument Valley to Kayenta, AZ onto the road to North Rim. There is a campground on a high clearance road going away from North Rim Welcome Center, I found it on my Grand Canyon map.

I'm still waiting for the Arizona maps to get here. My route will be more I-20 to !-40 (and Route 66). I will post the route as soon as I figure it out.

I need to change the title. Because of work, the trip will start June 6.
I plan on a 500 mile day the first day. That will get me/us to Winslow AZ. and a motel.
Right outside Winslow is this -
Meteor Crater Meteor Crater in Northern Arizona
I've always wanted to see it.
So, after we visit the crater, we ride to ? until we want to stop (I don't know how long the site seeing will take). Camp or motel doesn't matter to me.
After we make it to the North Rim, there's a place called Point Sublime I want to get to. 18 miles of dirt road to get there.
I want to spend the night there at least once.
Point Sublime Photos - Grand Canyon North Rim Point Sublime pictures
That's as far as I have planned.... I have been told to have a second destination in case of a cold winter. The North Rim is 8,000' above sea level.

I got suckered into that meteor hole in the mid 90's whenI was on my Rt 66 tour. Maybe I was tired, hot and cranky but I thought it a monumental rip off. I forget what they charged to get in, $15 or $20 comes to mind. I recall a roped off walkway in a nice building selling all kinds of overpriced "stuff." Got outside and there was a brick wall with openings to look thru. I will admit it was an impressive dent in the earth, but...I dunno...I felt taken.

Hey Joe, you're the second person today to say something similar. The website says it's $18 now.$18 can get you around 600-700 miles on an NC right now ! Rethinking that ,too. Starting to think making the journey the destination is the way to go.

I got suckered into that meteor hole in the mid 90's whenI was on my Rt 66 tour. Maybe I was tired, hot and cranky but I thought it a monumental rip off. I forget what they charged to get in, $15 or $20 comes to mind. I recall a roped off walkway in a nice building selling all kinds of overpriced "stuff." Got outside and there was a brick wall with openings to look thru. I will admit it was an impressive dent in the earth, but...I dunno...I felt taken.

Not worth the time or money. Will be plenty hot at that time too.

Oops! Winslow is 1097 miles from the hacienda. Got some refiguring to do!

I thought you were being a little optimistic when you mentioned ~500 miles from Shreveport to Winslow! :)
I hope you have a great time on your trip!

Last edited:
That is a great site if you like to camp. And I DO!

SD/WYO would be a great trip at that time of year. I've never seen the Grand Canyon -thus, it is on my unofficial bucket list (because I don't have an official one).

Having been to the Grand Canyon (south and north)many times, I would suggest if you are going in June to go north. I-40 would be the route I would take. See what is still there of Route 66, also. We all have to eat at Big Tex in Amarillo on I-40 at least once. Also near by is the Cadillac Ranch on I-40. A camping night in Palo Duro Canyon would be a must, being it is also near by I-40. Got to get the picture by the statue "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona". Also the Petrified Forest National Park.

Some great places off of I-40 if you take the time to look!

Last edited:
Back