• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First "TRIP" with the NC!

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Gang,
Well, it's our first vacation/trip with our new-to-us '20 NC750X DCT and so far it's OUTSTANDING! I probably maybe shouldn't use the term "vacation" since I've been retired for oh, about 14 years now so, we really don't take "vacations", just trips. Anyway, living in the desert town of lake Havasu AZ, there's not much "nice" riding to be had. It is what it is. If you have a boat, you're golden. But, your basic m/c and are retired, kind-a boring. So, the CEO and I packed up the motorhome, loaded the NC on the back of it, hooked up the truck and loaded the Goldwing in the back of it. Yep, this is a very first time for me/us. To bring TWO bikes on one of our escapades. Normally, I'd just load up the Wing on the truck and we're off and having a good time.

But, this new '20 NC 750X is just too darn fun to ride I HAD TO BRING IT TOO! I set our motorhome up to carry both my previous bike, an '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT and, one that I still have, an '07 Yamaha TW200. Not both at the same time, one or the other, depending on what the destination(s) will be and what's there to be had for fun. Just in case anyone's interested, I use a Versa Haul rack on the back of the coach. The rated limit on that particular version is 500 lbs and is a single receiver style. 500 lb. load limit is fine for the 278 lb. TW but, the A/T weighed right close to 550 lbs. So, I had to add two more receivers and connection tubes to the coach and connect them to the Versa Haul.

That rack is now twice as strong as before. Sooo, loading the NC was a piece of cake due to it being just like the A/T, a DCT version. I simply start it up, put it in gear and gently throtte it up the ramp under its own power, DONE. Then, for the Goldwing, I have what's called a *Rampage* motorcycle lift/carrier. In short, it's just a roll-back wrecker. Only this has three sections. The main section is bolted to the truck bed. The second section tips and lowers part way, then the third section, called the trolley, lowers to the ground. Roll the Wing up to the trolley, use two tie downs to secure it to the trolley and hit the winch button for UP! The bike is transported up and then levels out and I tie it down with more tie downs, DONE.

Now, as for the present trip. We're in a campground in a small UT community called Hatch. For those that are unaware of it, it's located on UT-89 about thirty miles north of the UT-9 which is the east entrance to Zion NP and, about 11 miles south of UT-12 which leads to Bryce Canyon NP. Folks, I gotta tell ya, there's miles and miles of riding in practically all directions for both paved and unpaved fun. There's mountain runs like UT-14 that leads from UT-89 to Cedar City. That's a seriously steep and fun run with a zillion turns in it and it also crests at about 9,500' of elevation. There's some off-shoots from it like 143 that lead over to Panguich lake and the town of Panguich.

If one takes the UT-12 from UT-89 and heads east, you'll run up to the top to the entrance of Bryce. But, if you keep going, you'll go to Boulder and Torrey with a whole ton of outstanding scenery in between. I could go on and on about more and more roads in this section of Utah but, if you learn about or know about *Butler* maps, you'll find all kinds of roads that rated on different levels of fun, scenery, and more.

Anyway, enough blabbing for now. Here's just a few photos of what I'm cruising around at present. By the way, the little Sevier river that runs behind our camp is normally about 5' across and about a foot to two feet deep in spots. But, as you'll see in the pics, IT'S A RAGING river at present and has over flowed its banks for miles. 50% of the camp spots at our campground are UNDER WATER!
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_5769.JPG
    IMG_5769.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5770.JPG
    IMG_5770.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5800.JPG
    IMG_5800.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5803.JPG
    IMG_5803.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5815.JPG
    IMG_5815.JPG
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5823.JPG
    IMG_5823.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7033.JPG
    IMG_7033.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7034.JPG
    IMG_7034.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
How about a picture of the Goldwing ramp thing? I’m intrigued. And I agree with the riding be in that area—amazing and beautiful!

How about a picture of the Goldwing ramp thing? I’m intrigued. And I agree with the riding be in that area—amazing and beautiful!
Hey TXBootScoot,
I was going to post pics of my Rampage lift but, I didn't think anyone on the NC forum would be interested. But, you asked so, here ya go. There are a few types of heavy motorcycle lift/carriers on the market. Some are aluminum and some are steel. Some are a bit more cumbersome to use while others are in the more simple operation. The Rampage lift/carrier is a steel three section one as described above. I'll show pics of various stages of loading the bike but, for a bit better and more detailed description of it, youtube is your friend. I will say this. While any of these mechanized ramps do cost a few bucks, trying to cheapen out when loading a very heavy touring/cruiser into the bed of a truck without one to me, is pure stupidity. And all you have to do is go to youtube to see many, many boneheads accomplish the goal severe damage to their bikes and getting hurt in the process.

The Rampage runs around $3,500 or so new. I bought mine used out of Craigs list and it was used one time. I got it for $1,500. I've had it for 11 years now and I replaced the 2,000 lb. winch with a 3,500 lb version simply because the cable on the original one was loosing it's plastic coating. The winch still worked flawlessly. A new cable was anywhere from $30 to $50 and a new 3,500 winch on sale at Harbor Freight was $129.00 so......
Scott

P.S. The first picture shows just the main section loaded in the truck. I was fitting it to the bed. I have set this Rampage up so that it is easy to install and remove. It is NOT in the truck 24/7/365. That Rampage is not light. It hovers around 250 lbs or so. I built a cart specifically for it. I designed the cart so that the Rampage is one inch higher than the bed height. So, when it comes time to load that Rampage into the truck, I remove the tail gate and store it since it's not of any use anyways. Then I roll the cart with Rampage up to the edge of the bed and push it 'till the cart hits the bumper. At that time, the Rampage is almost 1/2 way into the bed. At that time, I lift the back section and the wife rolls the cart away. I then bolt it down and hook up my 12v plug that's stored in the bed. I'm now ready to load the bike, all in about 10 minutes.

Attachments

• P1010291.JPG
    P1010291.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5120.JPG
    IMG_5120.JPG
    904.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5121.JPG
    IMG_5121.JPG
    860.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5124.JPG
    IMG_5124.JPG