• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Losing coordination or burning out

ShipofFools

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my NC for about a year and a half, and have been riding for 8 years. I've had my bad moments and my good moments. Lately I've been feeling like I've been losing coordination or something while riding. I don't know if it's the heat or what, but I get a crazy feeling that I'll fall off the bike when I take turns or ride on an unfamiliar road. Not even crazy riding, like 45 mph or so.

I've had the problem before last year but I eventually got over it after about a month. I haven't even been riding that much lately. Does this ever happen to anyone else? I'm sure I'll get over it again, but I hate feeling like I'm losing my confidence because I love riding.

I get the same feeling when I am fatigued. Usually it happens after a 12 hour shift. I can feel awake and alert, but fatigue is still there messing with my balance and coordination. I would have to assume that my situational awareness and reaction times suffer as well. Luckily I only have 4 miles to ride home from work.

I read somewhere or the other if one is riding less than 3500 miles a year then we are constantly rusty in skills and never progress. The answer might be to ride more or maybe take a rider course for the challenge.

I've had my NC for about a year and a half, and have been riding for 8 years. I've had my bad moments and my good moments. Lately I've been feeling like I've been losing coordination or something while riding. I don't know if it's the heat or what, but I get a crazy feeling that I'll fall off the bike when I take turns or ride on an unfamiliar road. Not even crazy riding, like 45 mph or so.

I've had the problem before last year but I eventually got over it after about a month. I haven't even been riding that much lately. Does this ever happen to anyone else? I'm sure I'll get over it again, but I hate feeling like I'm losing my confidence because I love riding.

Dehydration may be the culprit. When we do not hydrate properly it has the effect you describe. Here in Colorado it is a problem because of altitude and low humidity in winter months. When you finally become thirsty it is to late. You might want to drink more early and see if it helps.

I never thought it could be dehydration, but now it makes sense. Thanks guys. More water, more riding and maybe a refresher course are in my future.

Also, has anyone found the stock tires to be grippy enough? We have the occasional gravel pile on corners here that makes me just a little nervous, but I feel a little more squirrely on chip seal roads.

I never thought it could be dehydration, but now it makes sense. Thanks guys. More water, more riding and maybe a refresher course are in my future.

Don't forget a to have a handful of nuts or some other healthy snack. It's amazing how much sharper we are when we're properly fueled.

Also, has anyone found the stock tires to be grippy enough? We have the occasional gravel pile on corners here that makes me just a little nervous, but I feel a little more squirrely on chip seal roads.
The Z8s don't like gravel on the road. I found the PR3s to be a good bit better but most any full street tire doesn't like gravel on the road. I try to follow the car tire tracks through it since there is usually less gravel in their tracks. On a gravel road I also follow the car tire tracks because they have compacted the gravel and it isn't a loose as in the center or sides of the lane.

I agree with the above,the z8s slid on me a lot on some curves,I like the pr4s,no problem with this on them yet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

+1 on the checkup. Also, as for dehydration, remember that you lose water even if you aren't sweating through insensible perspiration. Warm dry wind will dry you out even if you don't feel hot.

IMHO the stock Z8's are very poor tyres indeed. They almost ruined my confidence in the bike. To bear out this statement, I have 4 other bikes to compare with and none of them behaved like the Z8's did on the NC. I moved to PR3's and that problem was solved. As was said above, no tyre will behave well on gravel patches on tarmac.

One other aspect you could get checked with your doctor is an inner ear infection or its aftermath. I have that problem and it sometimes causes me balance problems, especially at very low speeds on the bike or even when walking.

Lastly I totally agree with the aspect of regular riding. It is vital towards keeping your well honed skills in tune.

I totally felt like this the other week... ever corner I made felt like the back tire was getting ready to slide out on me... Freaked me to the point where I was taking the corners extremely slow, and riding extremely conservatively...

After getting the bike home checking all the usual culprits (tire pressure, etc.) I took the bike back out... haven't been over that same stretch of road again yet, but it seems to be glued to the ground again...

On the plus side, the tank of gas where I rode as though I was about to fall over I got some great gas mileage.

You might also want to try ear plugs if you aren't already wearing them, I've read that they can help with motion sickness, and balance problems... something to do with equalizing the pressure in your ear... but if it's you that the problem is with not the bike or the road, might be worth it to see a mechanic (the kind that works on people... "Doctor" I think the preferred term) and have them check you out... (You can try standing on one foot with your eyes closed to test out your inner ear... it's hard to do for most people, even those with out balance problems, but if you can't manage it at all then definitely consider seeing a professional)

I actually like the z8,s ,I found them good in the wet and have lasted really well.I found them a good all round tyre .I have decided to replace with the same...they lasted unitl 11400 miles but where totally buggered towards the end....

Back on target....hydration. The brain according to Dr. Mercola

Physical Attributes

The weight of your brain is about 3 pounds.

Your skin weighs twice as much as your brain.

Your brain is made up of about 75 percent water.

Your brain consists of about 100 billion neurons.

There are anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 synapses for each neuron.

There are no pain receptors in your brain, so your brain can feel no pain.

There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in your brain.

Your brain is the fattest organ in your body and may consist of at least 60 percent fat.

Funny, I just noticed if you add the water percentage to the fat percentage, you get 135%.
That said, the brain is mostly water (makes for good electrical synapses). Don't wait unitl you are thirsty to drink water! Most Americans are chronically dehydrated.

I think the heat and just being tired in general is getting to me. I seem to go through something like this every summer. I may try some ear plugs to help with balance. Couldn't hurt. I was thinking of getting adjustable levers since a lot of my uneasiness seems to come from shifting and grabbing the clutch lever. Especially when I'm in a curve, the lever seems like a mile away.

Back on target....hydration. The brain according to Dr. Mercola

Your brain is made up of about 75 percent water.

Your brain is the fattest organ in your body and may consist of at least 60 percent fat.

Wait a minute. That's 135% of brain!

well let me ask a bit more. hydrate is needed BUT there might be more....

how is your diet? move american diet are very poor. last full physical with complete blood work? sugar level? diabetics? how is your vitamin d level?

Omega3 intake??

Back