• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lets see your NC OFFROAD!

Went here:

As far North as you can get to by motorcycle, Vancouver Island BC

Vancouver Island North.jpg

Land's end North.jpg

And here:

As far West by Northwest as you can go

Cape Scott Vancouver Island.jpg

West by Northwest.jpg

The Chiricahua Traverse

So our plans to ride Geronimo Trail to New Mexico didn't work out due to Thunderstorms and Rain Enroute.... (yes it does rain in Arizona, we get a pretty spectacular yearly Monsoon if you can believe it).

SO INSTEAD we rode from Sierra Vista to Douglas AZ to Portal AZ (went about 5 miles into New Mexico) then 26 miles on dirt climbing on mountain roads with some small water crossings over the Chiricahua Mountain Range took a quick side trip to the Chiricahua national monument and then home through the Sulfur Springs Valley and old Tombstone, about 265 miles in total, about 8 hours on the bike. :D

Map to come if I can figure out Google Maps :) 100_0359.jpg100_0366.jpg100_0372.jpg100_0380.jpg

30m8eq9.jpg

This weekend in the Adirondacks (flat rock road area) and Old Forge

Photo Aug 24, 12 23 04 PM.jpg
IMG_20130825_092216_168.jpg
no one had fire wood so we had to improvise
Photo Aug 24, 6 51 16 PM.jpg

so many windmills to look at, gorgeous
Photo Aug 24, 1 48 22 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Really liked your last picture. Looks like something I have crashed on! But you just got to do it!

Ahh I wish.... But in the interest of full disclosure... That last picture was at the Chiricaua national monument... Only meant for walking, I think the only bike that could do that would be a trials bike then you'd be promptly arrested on reaching the bottom

Saw a ride report on the Arkansas thread on AVD with KLRs and DRs. Found most of where they had went on the maps and decided since I had the new skid plate I’d try riding it figuring if it got too bad I could always turn around and go back….famous last words……
First part was down Jakes Creek Rd which turned out to be a fairly good gravel road and only damp spots to cross.

That dumped out on Hwy 123 and a short trip up it to Johnson 5550. Both ends of 5550 are maintained but the middle is unmaintained. It started out as fairly good gravel and slowly got worse as it approached Little Piney Creek.

Took a break at the first crossing to ponder how deep is the water and how big are the rocks under the water.

First crossing. Almost made it across before stalling on rocks on the climb back out.

Stopped at this house from the 1800s. Bud, the current owner is there on most weekends and welcomes travelers in to take a look and sign his guest book.

The owner of this 61 Bug body on a bus frame was there. Relatives of his had owned the place in the past and told stories from coming here as a child. At the time he didn’t realize it but later figured out that they made moonshine here.

They warned me that I had several more water crossing, a few mud holes, and a place with big dogs to go through. Told me when I hear the dogs to hit the gas.
Another water crossing

After shot of the crossing. Took a few to figure out where the road was since it went at an angle. Road up the side a little before I cross since it looked shallower.

Sorry, no pics of the mud holes as I was too focused on how to get around them to remember to take pics. Some I could skirt around the edge and others I made paths through the woods around them. Did have to go through one but it had a solid bottom. Dropped the bike once when I stalled on a rock mound. Finally made it to maintain road/ Man was I glad!!!! Hit hwy 21 for a little and then back on gravel to get to Oark, AR.
Lunch at the 1890 Oark Café which is on the National Historic Registry

Stopped by the swinging bridge over the Mulberry.

Has a pondering bench at the bridge

View from the pondering bench

A family was swimming in the river and had arrived in this

After this I stayed on paved roads for the ride home. Helped a couple of stranded bikers. Saw a road runner, 2 doe and 2 spots that got within a couple of feet of the front tire.
Learned that I need to find someone to go off road with. Had several moments of “oh crap” but was able to spin my way out. My lowering pegs are great on the road but awful off road. I need to find lowering off road pegs. Dale’s skid plate held up with no damage to several hard rock hits. Lastly, for the second time in 2 weeks I got chiggers again… ugh…….drenching myself in deet before I go out again.

Great documentation of a cool ride there, bamamate. I'm afraid you've up'd the ante and may leave me behind a the next SGT!

The skid plate is a must for that stuff.

Greg

To ride on the wild side, you must have sulfur pills, this keeps the chiggers from getting you. A must for the adventure minded rider. Those "old crap" moments make it an adventure. Arkansas is a wonderful state to Ride!

Bamamate, Where exactly were you riding? I see that Oark is North East Fort Smith. Looks like there is a stream/river that runs along highway 5440. Were the trails you rode along that stream? Can't seem to find Jakes Creek Rd.

I went I40 to Russellville, north on Hwy7, few miles past Dover left on Hwy164, few miles and right on Pilot Rock Mountain Rd/Nfr1800, a mile up left on Jakes Creek Rd/Nfr1813, it becomes 1813/3861 and then 1813/4730 before ending at Hwy123. Right on 123, few miles and left onto Johnson5550/Nfr1004. That runs by and through (multiple times) Little Piney Creek. If you look at it on Google Maps there is a section missing which is the unmaintained section. Thankfully my Nokia Map app on Windows Phone shows the whole road. That ends on Hwy21, left on Hwy21, couple of miles and right on Johnson 5440/NFr1003, 2-3 miles before Oark it turns into paved Hwy215. Oark seems to be a popular place with the ADV crowd. The Mulberry River runs close to 5440 though you only see it a few times.
Coworker told me I need to stay on Pilot Rock Mountain Rd. Somewhere on down it is a large flat rock formation that pilots use for reference to the Clarksville Airport hence the name of the road.

I haven’t quite figured out the number scheme for these ‘roads’. Google Maps will have several numbers on a road so I write them all down. The Nokia Map app will match one of them and then if you find a road sign/marker it will be one of the numbers.

I went I40 to Russellville, north on Hwy7, few miles past Dover left on Hwy164, few miles and right on Pilot Rock Mountain Rd/Nfr1800, a mile up left on Jakes Creek Rd/Nfr1813, it becomes 1813/3861 and then 1813/4730 before ending at Hwy123. Right on 123, few miles and left onto Johnson5550/Nfr1004. That runs by and through (multiple times) Little Piney Creek. If you look at it on Google Maps there is a section missing which is the unmaintained section. Thankfully my Nokia Map app on Windows Phone shows the whole road. That ends on Hwy21, left on Hwy21, couple of miles and right on Johnson 5440/NFr1003, 2-3 miles before Oark it turns into paved Hwy215. Oark seems to be a popular place with the ADV crowd. The Mulberry River runs close to 5440 though you only see it a few times.
Coworker told me I need to stay on Pilot Rock Mountain Rd. Somewhere on down it is a large flat rock formation that pilots use for reference to the Clarksville Airport hence the name of the road.

I haven’t quite figured out the number scheme for these ‘roads’. Google Maps will have several numbers on a road so I write them all down. The Nokia Map app will match one of them and then if you find a road sign/marker it will be one of the numbers.

That is what you call back woods. I just traced that entire route on Bing Maps. It was hard to follow but finally got it. That is some serious back country stuff. I would not even attempt that without a GPS. I might have to recon that with my Jeep. :D My bike isnt outfitted for cross country stuff yet. Do you have the stock tires or have your changed to something better suited for dirt roads?

Everything I road except for the unmaintained section can be done on a stock bike. It was all graded gravel/rock roads. Once I got down into the unmaintained section with the river rock a skid plate was necessary. 5550 would be great in a Jeep. I’ve seen several groups of Jeeps in that region. I’m currently running Mchelin PR3s. They have been a lot better than the Z8s off the pavement. The vast majority of my riding is paved so I’m running an internal debate on if I want to go knobbie or not and looking at the 90/10 and “dual sport” tires I’m not sure they would be better than the PR3s (they make a trail rated PR3 rear that has a wider center section of harder rubber). like in a Jeep I’ve been able to spin the rear a little to heat it up and then it hooks and pulls me out of the rocks. I know knobbies would be better on the loose gravel/small rock and I've avoided mud.

So far the Nokia Map app has work. It can download maps and has had no problems working offline. A real GPS is in my future so I can make routes on the computer and download routes off ADV but so is a video camera so I can tempt more people into coming to Arkansas. :)

Lovely view. Nice and peaceful. I noticed that you have some kind of brace on each side of the rear of your bike. Are those for a soft luggage set ? Still pondering what I'm going to do regarding side cases or bags. Just curious. oops, just spotted the multiple pics with the Honda oem bags. Max
Last fall at a local lake...

WGW

A few pics from last night down around the Rockcastle River...
Much of the road had fresh gravel.....I Hate Fresh Gravel....Could have enjoyed it more if I were riding solo, but had the misses on the back with me, so couldn't stand for any of it....but "Jool" (my 700X) did fine, even on the stock tires (Squirmed a little, but manageable)

IMG_0329.jpgIMG_0332.jpgIMG_0335.jpgIMG_0336.jpg

What road is that Huck? I will be in the area 3rd weekend in September staying a Cumberland Falls State Park with some MP3 riders. I will be on my NC with the suspension upgraded on the way up.

Back