• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Is there a way to check DTCs without the SCS Service Connector?

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone. On my 2018 NC750XD the engine light came on. Is there a way to check the DTC without the connector? I did search the forum but could not see any results. Thanks!

Mine came on one day when I was heading out for a ride. Went back home and parked it. Later that evening I went to show a buddy and when I started the bike, the light went out and never came back on again. When I posted about it, several had similar experiences and many suggested checking the tightness of the battery bolts.

here's the thread

Mine came on one day when I was heading out for a ride. Went back home and parked it. Later that evening I went to show a buddy and when I started the bike, the light went out and never came back on again. When I posted about it, several had similar experiences and many suggested checking the tightness of the battery bolts.

here's the thread

I'll give it a shot. Thanks Ferret.

Well, I tend to dwell on things so I went back out, started it up and the check engine light is now gone. I'd still like to see if the code is stored.

Last edited:
... I'd still like to see if the code is stored.
According to the Service Manual, if the engine light (MIL) was on, but then went out, the original problem may be intermittent. When the MIL blinks, it means the DTC is being generated and stored. In your case, there is a chance that the DTC was not stored.

Well, I tend to dwell on things so I went back out, started it up and the check engine light is now gone. I'd still like to see if the code is stored.
Ride more, worry less

It's not really a check engine light per Honda it's a PGMFI light

let us know what you find out. In the manual it says "check engine light" is for a Programmed fuel Injection issue (PGM=Programmed F=Fuel- I=injection)

Ride more, worry less

It's not really a check engine light per Honda it's a PGMFI light

let us know what you find out. In the manual it says "check engine light" is for a Programmed fuel Injection issue (PGM=Programmed F=Fuel- I=injection)
Ya, but . . . the same light illuminates for things like combination meter communication malfunction, vehicle speed sensor no signal, engine oil pressure switch high voltage, etc. so keep in mind the fault may be outside what one might consider as the fuel system.

Ya, but . . . the same light illuminates for things like combination meter communication malfunction, vehicle speed sensor no signal, engine oil pressure switch high voltage, etc. so keep in mind the fault may be outside what one might consider as the fuel system.
Greg, do you know how I can access stored codes?

Greg, do you know how I can access stored codes?
The way fault codes are displyed on my 2012, is that I leave the engine running, in neutral, and lower the sidestand, and the fault code gets flashed out on the dash. But I understand Honda removed that convenient feature maybe around 2016.

Doing a search on SCS connector, it appears maybe the service connector plug simply shorts two pins. One poster reported activating the code readout by using a folded paperclip.

Now all that is for reading codes while you have an active fault light. I don’t know how to read codes stored from past events.

...I don’t know how to read codes stored from past events.
The answer to this is relatively easy to find if you have the Service Manual.
If the SM provides such information, it will be at the beginning of sections 4, 12 and 20 in the "DTC READOUT" paragraph.
And it looks like this: (below)
Judging from the responses posted on this forum, it could be concluded that there are quite a large number of owners of the Service Manual from different years. So we are looking for volunteers to make good use of the "good book" they have and could share such information. If such an instruction is not included, that is also good information.

Capture.JPG

The answer to this is relatively easy to find if you have the Service Manual.
If the SM provides such information, it will be at the beginning of sections 4, 12 and 20 in the "DTC READOUT" paragraph.
And it looks like this: (below)
Judging from the responses posted on this forum, it could be concluded that there are quite a large number of owners of the Service Manual from different years. So we are looking for volunteers to make good use of the "good book" they have and could share such information. If such an instruction is not included, that is also good information.

View attachment 52631
No need for a special tool to short the DLC, a paper clip works just fine.

Hi,all. So from the comments, I’m assuming no one can recommend an ODB code scanner? I have had an intermittent problem with my 2014 750D for years that the dealers can’t find and Honda Australia are not willing to help rectify because I have to present my bike with the fault present. Which is impossible because when the trans drops out of gear while riding it either has no drive or sometimes goes into limp home mode so other than the fault happening at the dealer or me pushing the bike there with the bike still idling, it’s never going to be possible to make that happen!!! And if you turn the ignition off to wip out your paper clip, when you turn the ignition back on there is no more problem. The gearbox clunks down from whatever gear the box is in to neutral and away you, like nothing ever happened.

Last edited:
Hi,all. So from the comments, I’m assuming no one can recommend an ODB code scanner? I have had an intermittent problem with my 2014 750D for years that the dealers can’t find and Honda Australia are not willing to help rectify because I have to present my bike with the fault present. Which is impossible because when the trans drops out of gear while riding it either has no drive or sometimes goes into limp home mode so other than the fault happening at the dealer or me pushing the bike there with the bike still idling, it’s never going to be possible to make that happen!!! And if you turn the ignition off to wip out your paper clip, when you turn the ignition back on there is no more problem. The gearbox clunks down from whatever gear the box is in to neutral and away you, like nothing ever happened.
When the transmission misbehaves, does a fault indicator light on the dash?

Hi Greg, when I feel the problem has happened, the first thing that happens is I look in my mirrors to see if I’m about to be run over! Then you notice the “bar” is flashing in the gear display constantly. On and of at about. 1 sec interval, not a long - short code flash. No other lights, no engine, ABS etc.

The way fault codes are displyed on my 2012, is that I leave the engine running, in neutral, and lower the sidestand, and the fault code gets flashed out on the dash. But I understand Honda removed that convenient feature maybe around 2016.

Doing a search on SCS connector, it appears maybe the service connector plug simply shorts two pins. One poster reported activating the code readout by using a folded paperclip.

Now all that is for reading codes while you have an active fault light. I don’t know how to read codes stored from past events.
Thank you. Appreciate it!

Back