• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

INTRO: Just picked up a 2016 in the crate - what to do first? QUESTIONS.....

So you say this is an automated computer controlled transmission that shifts the gears of a manual transmission for you, as opposed to an automated computer controlled transmission that shifts the gears of an automatic transmission for you? Gears are gears, whether they are planetary sets or constant mesh pairs.

Aw, come on. It's an automatic transmission. Admit it. There are many that don't like to call the DCT an "automatic", but Honda itself has no problem with it. This is starting to sound like Bill Clinton, "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. ..."

If you are a Therapist and can help treat my PTSD then I might change my standing regarding the subject. I have too much trauma caused by and attached to that Hondamatic. I have been strained on the roadside many times by that bike. A 16 year old stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in the cold before cellphones were available or mainstream.

Yeah, calling this bike an "Automatic" does not set well with me. I am entitled to my own opinion.

Last edited:
To-Mah-toes
To-May-toes....

Automatic is automatic.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Automatic??? You just trigged my PTSD...

giphy.gif

One question - How the heck you get it still in the box??? My dealer set mine up and delivered it, ready to ride.

I looked for one still in the crate. it's the ONLY way I will buy a bike. I don't want some bike that has been sitting on a showroom floor that 980 people have sat on, scuffed, touched, and scratched.

If you are a Therapist and can help treat my PTSD then I might change my standing regarding the subject. I have too much trauma caused by and attached to that Hondamatic. I have been strained on the roadside many times by that bike. A 16 year old stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in the cold before cellphones were available or mainstream.

Yeah, calling this bike an "Automatic" does not set well with me. I am entitled to my own opinion.

I hear you. I can understand your wish to detach from the Hondamatic. But for the rest of us, the DCT is just an automatic.

My car has a DCT in it. My wife thinks it's an automatic, as do I, as do probably 100% of other owners with that model. What's under the hood doesn't really matter as long as the car goes (since cars are boring anyway).

Last edited:
I really like the Madstad system windshield. It's not a looker but it works very well. I usually install Symtech Grip heaters on my bikes. I've had good luck with them. SW Motech for luggage racks and Givi for the bags and top box. The first things on any new bike is heated grips and a Sargent seat. I rode the stock one for 25,000 miles but I wouldn't go back from the Sargent. I still run a dedicated power motorcycle GPS and favor a cigarette lighter type power point so I can use a 12v air compressor. An adapter allows use of USB charging for my phone or Sena unit.

I've owned two 700Xs and the first was crated. I waited 3 months for the first bikes to arrive in the US.

But for the rest of us, the DCT is just an automatic.

Unless you talk to VW about towing. From what I recall, their TDI DCTs had a recommendation not to tow anything with them where as the same model with a manual transmission allowed for towing. May have something to do with overworking the clutches?

I got my OEM centerstand for my 2016 DCT at Bike Bandit.
You'll need to have a ratchet tie down to install it, but I'm betting with all those bikes you've got one already.
Just check Youtube for the videos that show how it is installed.

Welcome to the fold!

If you're unhappy with the seat, before you shell out on a replacement, consider raising the nose. The seat has a 4 degree forward slope. I raised mine and it is now a pleasure to ride, albeit with a sheepskin cover.

Welcome to the fold!

If you're unhappy with the seat, before you shell out on a replacement, consider raising the nose. The seat has a 4 degree forward slope. I raised mine and it is now a pleasure to ride, albeit with a sheepskin cover.

I just went for the Sargent. They have a 15% off winter sale. It was only $315.

Thanks

Hi everyone....just grabbed a new in the crate 2016 NC700X DCT ABS.
Time to give the automatic a try. Happy to be here and contribute as well as pick your brains.

Welcome, and congrats! I think you will find this forum to be a fount of helpful folks that are as drama free as is possible. I'm a returning rider that got a 2014 DCT with trepidation - I LOVE IT! I flew from Tulsa, OK to Phoenix and rode it back home; listening to (reading) these guys and gals thoughts and comments had me setup with the basic mods to make the ride home a treat - barkbusters, Rox risers, Kaoko(SP?) throttle lock, Seat slope modification, rear rack and Airhawk. I had enough info to thoughtfully decide what was best for me and feel confident that I wasn't going to be wasting my money.

For me, I find that I enjoy the ride more and pay more attention to honing my riding skills without worrying with "shifting housekeeping" unless I want to. When I want to - I row the gears with the paddle shifters to my hearts content, (And I shift perfectly every time! :D)

The DCT isn't perfect, but I commute on my bike and can't see going back to shift, shift, shift, in the traffic - If I feel the desire to fan a clutch to lift the front over a log....I'm on the wrong bike anyway. This bike is a great "Swiss army knife" bike; not the best at anything, but pretty darn good at most things.

Windshields - I'm 6'1" and have Madstad 20" and 22"- tried (seemingly) every position possible until I gave up (I think the Rox risers and Bark Busters prevented finding the "right" position for me). I also tried a tall skinny Cal-sci (I think). I use a Honda touring if I Also tried a tall skinny Cal-sci (I think)want the helmet in clear air/ summer (and the bar is handy to mount a ram ball.) I also got an ebay Chinese "wing" to add some flip to the wind and raise it up. I like it because it is very easy to adjust for city/commuting/highway differences in speed; but MUCH less coverage than the Madstad.

My bike had Dunlops and the rear was SHOT when I got home from Phoenix (1K miles+/-) - I am VERY impressed with the Shinko 705's I have now. Impressive asphalt grip and pretty great for the dirt roads I like to ride.

P.S. There isn't a lot of 'anti-automatic' sentiment but it might be from guys who never stopped riding and never got "out of the habit" of shifting, and never had to ask themselves "tell me again WHY is shifting essential to riding a motorcycle". Or never had a chance to experienced how much more you can focus on other things if you aren't giving the tranny as much attention. (just me guessing, I might be completely wrong)

Off of Hwy 60 in New Mexico:WP_20151001_11_51_43_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, and congrats! I think you will find this forum to be a fount of helpful folks that are as drama free as is possible. I'm a returning rider that got a 2014 DCT with trepidation - I LOVE IT! I flew from Tulsa, OK to Phoenix and rode it back home; listening to (reading) these guys and gals thoughts and comments had me setup with the basic mods to make the ride home a treat - barkbusters, Rox risers, Kaoko(SP?) throttle lock, Seat slope modification, rear rack and Airhawk. I had enough info to thoughtfully decide what was best for me and feel confident that I wasn't going to be wasting my money.

For me, I find that I enjoy the ride more and pay more attention to honing my riding skills without worrying with "shifting housekeeping" unless I want to. When I want to - I row the gears with the paddle shifters to my hearts content, (And I shift perfectly every time! :D)

The DCT isn't perfect, but I commute on my bike and can't see going back to shift, shift, shift, in the traffic - If I feel the desire to fan a clutch to lift the front over a log....I'm on the wrong bike anyway. This bike is a great "Swiss army knife" bike; not the best at anything, but pretty darn good at most things.

Windshields - I'm 6'1" and have Madstad 20" and 22"- tried (seemingly) every position possible until I gave up (I think the Rox risers and Bark Busters prevented finding the "right" position for me). I also tried a tall skinny Cal-sci (I think). I use a Honda touring if I Also tried a tall skinny Cal-sci (I think)want the helmet in clear air/ summer (and the bar is handy to mount a ram ball.) I also got an ebay Chinese "wing" to add some flip to the wind and raise it up. I like it because it is very easy to adjust for city/commuting/highway differences in speed; but MUCH less coverage than the Madstad.

My bike had Dunlops and the rear was SHOT when I got home from Phoenix (1K miles+/-) - I am VERY impressed with the Shinko 705's I have now. Impressive asphalt grip and pretty great for the dirt roads I like to ride.

P.S. There isn't a lot of 'anti-automatic' sentiment but it might be from guys who never stopped riding and never got "out of the habit" of shifting, and never had to ask themselves "tell me again WHY is shifting essential to riding a motorcycle". Or never had a chance to experienced how much more you can focus on other things if you aren't giving the tranny as much attention. (just me guessing, I might be completely wrong)

Although on 46 years old I always kept my K1600GTL and R12RT in RAIN mode as I am a right lane, speed limit, no rush, laid back and slow tourer. I think the auto will be great for me. I'm pretty excited to get it.

For the more aggressive rider...I can see them not being in love with it.

Thanks for the warm welcome Lyle.

Well the first step is "get the bike out of the crate"! LOL

I would start with a seat and risers to dial in your seating position and the look at a windshield. Getting comfortable for any length ride would be my first priority.

Depending on your height, weight, inseam will affect the recommendations for a seat.

For the more aggressive rider...I can see them not being in love with it.

Thanks for the warm welcome Lyle.

I can be an aggressive rider.... 100+ miles from the nearest city out in the desert on my FZ1. but in the city? I freaking love this AUTOMATIC bike ;)

Back