• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My Brother Just purchased an NC700X. It's been a fiasco since he picked up the bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesD

Reaction score
Visit site
So, my brother found a new 2013 NC700X at Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza in Colorado Springs.
They traded away the one he was looking at to another dealer, but they were able to assemble another one right out of the crate for him.
He got it for a decent price (I would have gotten a little more out of the deal but that's just me, they claimed it was $300 under cost but that's probably $300 under invoice which doesn't include factory dealer holdback).

He rode the bike home last night, and that's where his problems began.
At about 1 mile from the dealership, the bike died.
He had to call the dealer and they sent out a truck to pick it up.
I guess they had a jr technician put in a brand new battery because of the age of the bike, and he didn't attach one of the terminals correctly.
He cross threaded the bolt or something so the battery cable vibrated off. They had to replace the bolt from what my brother said.
But the dealer was able to fix it fairly quickly and my brother was able to ride the bike home.
He was a little miffed but still pretty psyched about the bike.
He loves the way it handles and how it deals with the stretch of dirt road he has to take every day.
Compared to the Goldwings, Kawasaki twin, XT500, etc.. he's owned, he said it felt really good.
He did say he wasn't quite used to the low redline yet but no biggie, and he was excited to be riding it on a trip the next morning.

So, I talked to him this morning about an hour ago and he was livid.
He checked fluid levels before the trip he was going to make today, and there is no coolant in the reservoir.
He couldn't get the radiator cap off right away, and he did have time to mess with it, so he had to leave in his truck instead.
It appears the technicians didn't perform a proper checklist on the newly assembled bike.
Maybe the coolant was just low, but if it was run without coolant... I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions about what that would do to the motor.

At this point, I don't know what the dealer is going to do, but my brother no longer wants the bike and is prepared to get a lawyer if he has to.
I don't blame him one bit. When a bike is so poorly prepped that you don't get a battery connection and fluids right, you have to wonder if something else will come loose as you are going down the road.
He's also going to give Honda a piece of his mind about the dealer. I would not want to be the person on the other end of that phone call.
Maybe the situation will be easily resolved, but as mad as my brother is... I doubt it.

Pretty much every bike I've purchased seemed to be meticulously prepped.
Maybe this was just a fluke, but one thing is for sure, I know I'll never buy a bike from these guys.
I know crap happens, but come on!
Even if you ignore the coolant issue, if the battery had come disconnected on his trip it could have happened in a place without any cell phone coverage and he couldn't have fixed it because it supposedly needed a new bolt.

Funny thing, when he was stopped at the side of the road, a lot of bikes passed him but only one stopped to see if he needed help.
It was a guy on a BMW. Forget everything bad I've said about BMW riders.

Sorry to hear about your bother's troubles. If he had to have problems, I'm glad they were with the dealer, not the bike itself. I hope the dealer makes it right and renews his confidence.

Sorry to hear about your bother's troubles. If he had to have problems, I'm glad they were with the dealer, not the bike itself. I hope the dealer makes it right and renews his confidence.
I guess my brother was passed through to the general manager immediately once he was able to get the dealership on the phone.
The manager was very apologetic and hadn't even heard about the battery issue yet.
They want my brother to bring the bike in to be checked out on Tuesday and they are throwing in the 600 mile service for free.
I guess they had already thrown an extended warranty in with the bike (4 year?) with the sale, so if there is a problem down the road I think he's covered.
But if the bike were to break down as a result of this, it would be more than a little inconvenient since he bought it to use as a daily commuter and wanted to put a lot of miles on it.
The manager said the anti-freeze probably just wasn't topped off and that was normal. I guess he said they normally take care of it at the first service.
My brother is kinda stuck though. He's out of town for the entire weekend and you only have something like 3 days to claim buyers remorse and return the bike.
It's probably ok but... ???
Anyone else run into a coolant issue with a new bike?

The battery issue.. if I understand correctly, the kid that swapped batteries cleans up the bikes and the parking lot. I believe some people refer to position as a "lot lizard".
I guess they were trying to give him the opportunity to make a little more money or something.
<sigh> I don't want to see the kid get fired, but a little supervision might be in order.
One thing's for sure, he'll probably never forget that mistake!

BTW, brother spoke to Honda and said it's between him and the dealership.
Just for comparison... a friend of his went to a Harley dealership and made an offer on a bike.
They waited and waited. Nobody even spoke to them after that and they finally left at closing time.
The next day they received a call from Harley Davidson asking how their experience was.
After relaying their experience the response was "oh really".
Within 15 minutes of hanging up with Harley Davidson they received a call from the manager of the dealership.
He apologized and said the bike was theirs.
A completely different customer service attitude from the company.

FWIW, I've been riding Hondas since 1973, and I've owned a bunch of them. XRs, Shadows, VFRs, and my NC700X.
The last time Honda pissed me off I went out and bought the first non-Honda I've ever owned, a brand new 2000 Yamaha WR400F which I still have.
I'm thinking my next bike will be a Super Tenere rather than an NC750X or Africa Twin.

And speaking of Africa Twin... one of the dealers I spoke to said they were already taking pre-orders for 2017 because they had gone through their allotment for 2016.
It might be a good time to pick up another brand.

Sorry that the dealership screwed up. In my personal opinion, I'd bring the bike to the dealership and go throu it with the service manager before the grace period is over. If your bother isn't satisfied, return the bike. Also some one should go with your brother, as a witness. I like to "voice memo" these times, in case the manager's "memory is poor". I think it would be easier to backtrack from that than try returning the bike after the cooling off period. Your brother might even use it as a bargaining point for a better deal/extras on the bike.

I'm a noob (on the NC), but if the bike was run dry I'd think it would have died on the way home/ or the coolant light would have lit.

Last edited:
My brother's wife just approved him purchasing any Harley he wants if he bails on the NCX.
I reminded him one of the reasons he went with the NC was he has to drive on dirt roads so that's probably not happening.
But it means his bike budget by the wife just went up.
Any recommendations as to VSTROM vs Super Tenere?

Sorry that the the dealership screwed up. In my personal opinion, I'd bring the bike to the dealership and go throu it with the service manager before the grace period is over. If your bother isn't satisfied, return the bike. Also some one should go with your brother, as a witness. I like to "voice memo" these times, in case the manager's "memory is poor". I think it would be easier to backtrack from that than try returning the bike after the cooling off period. Your brother might even use it as a bargaining point for a better deal/extras on the bike.

I'm a noob (on the NC), but if the bike was run dry I'd think it would have died on the way home/ or the coolant light would have lit.

The problem is, he's several hundred miles away planting millet on the family farm and I'm even further away.
I was just there yesterday... wish I had stuck around. I'd have checked the coolant so he would know how to proceed.
I'm thinking it's 3 business days rather than just 3 days when it comes to buyer's remorse and state law. I'll have to look it up though.
If I have to drive back down I guess I could, but it's a 4 hour drive.

After talking about it, we both thought that if the bike were run without coolant it *should* give him an overheat light, but the sensor is next to the thermostat.
If it doesn't have any coolant, it may not register because there's no coolant to measure the temperature of.
I thought it would have seized already if that were the case but you never know since it's not a high revving engine.
If there is even a little coolant I would think the temperature sensor would pick up the temperature of some steam.

FWIW, he just didn't know about the screw on the coolant cap and he was in a hurry.
I wish he had called me as soon as he couldn't get the cap off.

If he gets a different bike, I think the current 0% APR for 5 years deal would make him pick the Suzuki.

Again I'm a noob on the NC, but even the air would put the internal engine temperature way hot. I would have thought it would've smoked it's oil.

Had my budget been more, I would have gotten the v-strom. I had an 07' wee it was a fantastic bike! The 12' and newer versions are even better! V-strom will always get a strong recommendation from me.

Sorry to hear about the bad dealer experience. If it were me, I'd want to return the bike too, if for no other reason than principle. Because as crummy as their service was, they still get the credit for selling the bike and they shouldn't. I'd take my business elsewhere.

While I'm sad that you had trouble with the new bike, both the battery and coolant level issues are easily rectified and there should be no lasting damage to the bike. It's not like it's a lemon, it's just needs proper set up. To abandon a bike you like over these issues seems a bit of an over reaction.

Dealers talk about setup, but I've never been convinced that they do anything but final assembly and battery installation. I think buyers expect that the actually check the bike over carefully, but I bet that rarely actually happens.

That being said, I do still wish Honda would have an option to purchase motorcycles at a reduced price, still in the crate, direct to the buyer, eliminating the dealer. I have no need or desire to have a dealer muck with it, ever. For those that want full service, offer that too at a price premium.

Ask the dealer for some compensation.

Last edited:
My brother's wife just approved him purchasing any Harley he wants if he bails on the NCX.
I reminded him one of the reasons he went with the NC was he has to drive on dirt roads so that's probably not happening.
But it means his bike budget by the wife just went up.

Super Tenere or Africa Twin if you can get one, especially with dirt roads involved.

While I regret you had trouble with the new bike, both the battery and coolant level issues are easily rectified and there should be no lasting damage to the bike. It's not like it's a lemon, it's just needs proper set up. To abandon a bike you like over these issues seems a bit of an over reaction.

Dealers talk about setup, but I've never been convinced that they do anything but final assembly and battery installation. I think buyers expect that the actually check the bike over carefully, but I bet that rarely actually happens.

That being said, I do still wish Honda would have an option to purchase motorcycles at a reduced price, still in the crate, direct to the buyer, eliminating the dealer. I have no need or desire to have a dealer muck with it, ever. For those that want full service, offer that too at a price premium.

Well, an authorized Honda service center let an uncertified person work on a customer's bike.
As I said, if they got something that simple wrong, what else did they screw up? Did they even follow proper setup procedures?
On top of that, my brother was reading through the manual and found the pages were stuck together and it had moisture damage. They store crated bikes outside. If it's only for a few months it's one thing, but if it's for years like this bike? That can't be good for wiring and electronics.

I'm not even sure my brother can return the bike though so it's probably a moot point.

Was there no coolant at all in the radiator, or none in the overflow container?

At any rate, if you like the bike itself keep it and have the dealership go over everything carefully. Of course, an experience like that can sour you on a bike. If it's going to bug him thinking about it every time he rides it then take it back.

Hi James, the NC is fairly simple bike and I don't think having it sit for years would cause any significant damage. I know your experience has been frustrating. Take a breath and make sure the dealer goes through all the parts that are susceptible to moisture like hoses, filters, tires, etc. If the bike was out of coolant, the engine would have fried on ride home from the dealership. Plus, there would have been an enormous amount of smoke and the smell would be intense. It sounds like the bike is fine. This is my 6th motorcycle and I have been reading this forum for about 6 months and I am amazed at how few problems people have had. I went over to the Ducati Multistrada forum and my jaw hit the floor reading about the types of problems they have. In this forum, one member had some strange fueling problem that appeared after several years, but it sounds like situation that is super unlikely to happen to any of the other NCX's. Other than that, I think the bike is pretty bullet proof. I'm not saying other Japanese brands aren't but I would think your brother would get many years of satisfaction with the bike. Sorry again to hear about your bad experience. Everyone makes mistakes and I always give the dealer a chance to rectify something if they screw up. For example, my dealer scratched the front fender of my NCX during prep and shipped a brand new one to me in a week. Good luck.

I had some issues with service from my dealer. I posted a negative comment on their web site...instant response. We worked out a deal that I can live with. Just did a 6500 mile trip with My NC. Love the bike.

Well, an authorized Honda service center let an uncertified person work on a customer's bike.
As I said, if they got something that simple wrong, what else did they screw up? Did they even follow proper setup procedures?

I agree totally with this concern. That's why my motorcycles never see a dealer again (except for safety recalls, which I dread getting done).

I don't believe the setup is too involved that the dealer could screw up much more than they already have. The factory does 99% of the assembly and testing. The dealer just needs to unpack it and pull some plastic off, maybe mount a front wheel or handlebars. Fluids would have all been done at the factory. My guess is the cooling system burped some air and used what was in the reservoir, but the radiator was full. I don't know about NC700s, but when I watched Honda build Goldwings in Ohio, the machine was 100% rideable at the end of their assembly line. Then it's broken down slightly for shipping.

I hope this dealer will compensate you somehow, but do not accept more service on the machine as compensation. As we've seen, that is not their area of expertise. Find something else to compensate you that works to your advantage. At the very least you should get a new battery for you to properly install. Maybe have them toss a centers stand into the deal.

Last edited:
My wife and I had a similar situation happen to us.
We bought a brand new 2013 Triumph Rocket III Touring bike (2300CC) from a dealer two hours from our house.
Riding it home we were a half hour from home and it was starting to get dark when the engine totally seized up.
Bike was totally dead.
The bike cost $19K!!!!!
We worked to get the bike back to the dealer the next morning (again, two hours from home!) to have them say they were going to tear the bike apart to try to fix it.
I said no way to a brand new bike they must totally dismantle to TRY to get it running again.
I told them either a new bike from elsewhere or we take our $19K back.
They REFUSED to give the money back.
Brought in the same model bike from another dealer.
All fine from there on.
But it took several months of riding to trust the bike and so then to enjoy the ride.

Yes, the dealer handled everything WRONG.
And it was a shame that Honda USA was totally hands off.
One issue factoring in to all of this was your brother bought the new bike the day before a big trip.
He never gave himself time to get used to the bike and learn it.
He was in such a hurry he could not remove the coolant cap.
But the issues with the bike were not as bad as could have been.
And he likes the bike.
Give him a little time of riding it now that it should be 100% and he will get to the point we all are with the NC.
No dealer wants to give back money.
They will fight you at this.
I would have tried to get the dealer to throw in a farkle or two to make up for the mess ups.
Nothing clears any type of the blues like a ride on a motorcycle!!!!

PS:
A) Yes, BMW riders are a hidden type of cool.
I can see them stopping.

B) If the switch must be made, unless he wants DCT, my vote is the Super Tenere.

C) When my wife and I attended the Triumph National Rally two years ago in Oley, Pa. we came to a conclusion.
Harley riders love the culture and like the bikes.
Triumph riders love the bikes and like the culture.
A BMW rider spoke up and said BMW riders just love to ride.
I would put NC riders in there with the BMW group.
Tell your brother to just go out and ride!
Life is good after all!

God bless!!

Michael

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION ----- the problem with the bike, battery and coolant level, is no big deal. No harm at all to the bike, easily corrected and no long term damage. Never heard where you can purchase a brand new vehicle and take it back within 3 days if you don't like it, buyers remorse as you called it. If that were the case I'd be jamming around in a new corvette every 3rd day, mixed with a mustang and camaro here and there. I know that if a sales person such as a contractor comes to your home and you enter into a written contract then under law you have 3 days to cancel without penalty. IF and it's a big IF, he is able to somehow return the Honda and go with a Harley what is to say he won't have immediate trouble with that bike ? I honestly don't know if you are representing yourself or brother about the NC700x but the problems you outlined are trivial and easily corrected, as I already stated. Sounds like someone is looking for an excuse to return a bike because on the way home they decided it was the wrong purchase. Again, IMHO. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back