• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Initial Service cost

I skipped any and all extended warranty. Mostly because I have total faith in Honda, especially their motors and longevity. Also, I am a mechanic so changing oil and setting valve clearances is nothing to me.

I think what I will do is throw up a howto video on changing the oil and filter if that will help someone out and save a few bucks. I did one for the radiator guard on the NC forums that seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback, but first I have to get my tire fixed and get 600 miles on the bike.

I skipped any and all extended warranty. Mostly because I have total faith in Honda, especially their motors and longevity.

Honda also has faith in their motors and longevity. That's why they sell extended warranties. It's profitable business. Their risk is low.

Greg

$110 for an oil change, chain adjustment (if needed) and bolt checks. Sounds a little steep to me. They no longer do valve checks at 600 miles.

$110 for an oil change, chain adjustment (if needed) and bolt checks. Sounds a little steep to me. They no longer do valve checks at 600 miles.

Dealers are usually steep. Sure looks good when you want to sell. I ended up at 120 after the discount for buying the bike there.

Seeing what people are paying for service costs makes me glad I am not afraid to try new things, such as valve inspections, chain alignment. Next up on my list is Tire replacement and balancing.

I have not the tools to do this. So I may just end up paying the dealer to swap on new tires.

For the record my dealer quoted me $170 for the initial service cost: overall bike inspection (bolts tightnened) oil chance WITH filter! and a chain alignment and lube. That is just crazy money for a job I can easily do myself.

They even called me 4 months later as a reminder. psshh! By that time I had 3k on the clock!

<$16 for the oil, $5 for the filter, less than an hour time for oil change, chain check (for tightness) and bolt inspection (mainly a looksee) overall visual inspection. I know they make most of their money on parts and service, but for this minimilistic service, the overall cost should be less than $100 (even less than $80); the dealers only have about $40 (if that much) in parts and employee time.

It would appear that many people in the UK are getting ripped off (nothing new there) paying anything from just the cost of oil filter and so on but free labour to around £300 . I'm lucky enough to be the first group

I can service anything that needs done at 600 miles.

The dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty but you can buy most of those somewhere else for a fraction of what dealers charge and dealers often sell you one from a 3rd party rather than from the manufacturer anyway.
Since my bike wasn't new (it had 550 miles) odds are it wasn't an extended warranty from Honda and they were asking 3 or 4 times what it would cost me to buy direct. The bike is still under factory warranty until April btw.

I was quoted $280 (central Pennsylvania) for the first (600 mi) service. Is this standard? Seems awfully high to me.

The 600 mile service is an oil and oil filter change. $20 to $50 for oil, $20 for a good K&N oil filter, $10 for the wrench to remove the old filter.
I recommend doing it yourself. (Buy a "crush washer" from your dealer. It's the washer that goes under the drain plug.

Search this forum for things like "first oil change" or just keep asking questions on this thread. There are some very knoweledgable and encouraging people here who can help you.

Apparently the new CB500s have valve check on the first service.

Probably because having the valve check on the first service will prevent many from attempting that first service on their own.
If a valve check were part of the first NC700x service, I never would have done it myself. As it was, it was just an oil change, and I enjoyed learning how to do that myself.

I think I had a total of $14 cost in my first NC700X service. I guess it depends how you shop and what tools you already have around. I previously had bought 36 quarts of Valvoline Mcy oil which after sale and rebates came to $2 per quart. Also got some Purolator filters (the mustard colored ones) for like $3 each.

As always, "your mileage may vary".

Greg

Last edited:
I just had my first (600mi) service as well. Came out to $90 at a dealer in Arlington. I thought that was really steep until I started reading on here.

Reading some of these stories reminds me of the time I brought my car to the dealership (still under warranty) to have the check engine light checked out. They wanted to charge me $90 for that... and then told me it was an hour and a half service! To check a check engine light!

Dealerships and most mechanics (sorry, mechanics!) are shady as hell. I will always check a forum like this before I bring either of my vehicles in for any kind of service. It sucks when you don't know enough to know when they are BS'ing you... but a little pre-homework should help.

My dealer offered me a service plan. I went ahead and took the deal because I knew I would be putting a lot of miles on this bike. For an extra $700 I get 3 year 100% coverage. I pay no serivce fees or maintenace fees. That also includes the first set of tires replaced for free. Addionally, I get 10% off any accessory I buy from that store for the next three years.

I just paid $200. (1.5 hours labor @ $100/hour.) Oil & filter change. Chain adjustment. Tighten all bolts, etc. Check & top off all fluids. Test ride.

I think that's about twice what it was worth, but I knew it was coming so I'm over it.

4 quarts of oil $35
1 oil filter $8
1 Trans filter $ 6.50
1 can of chain lube $12.50
1 chain alignment tool $20

$82.00 (USD) Labor was free. as I did it myself.

My father is a line mechanic for a bottling company (the last one in Chicago) He has always instilled in me that I better either earn a huge amount of money, and pay other people to take care of life's general maintenance's, or learn and do it your self.

or

Do both, and relax with a great retirement.

My next service will be just an oil change and chain alignment. Since I bought the tools needed. I figure my cost will be about $40 in oil and filter.

The only thing I fear doing is tire changing. If I can learn how do to that. All maintenance on this bike will be done by myself. If anyone wants to do a detailed tire change "how-To" with photos please do! Youtube is your friend when it comes to motorcycle maintenance.

Well, I know this is a deep subject, because I have relatives in Tennessee (Davy Crockett - Tennessee can go to hell, I'm going to Texas. Real smart fellow there? Died a few weeks later at the Alamo!), but you don't have to purchase the chain alignment tool next time. And your father is correct, retirement is the best job I have ever had.1.jpg

SmileyPerfect.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back