• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda CB1100

Woody

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know if Honda are ever likely to make a DCT version of the CB1100? I will be more than happy with my new NC750x for the foreseeable future, but when the itch comes to go for something with a little more power (I have been told that is inevitable), I do like the look of the CB1100, but love the convenience of the DCT. Anyone have any ideas how likely it is? Thanks. Woody

This statement is purely my own option and based on observations.

Honda moves quite cautiously when it comes to implementing new technologies into all their product lines. The Africa Twin is only the second Honda on-road use motorcycle to have DCT. I really do not think that every model will have a DCT version in the near the future. However there might be more of them in the next 5 years.

Honda moves quite cautiously when it comes to implementing new technologies into all their product lines. The Africa Twin is only the second Honda on-road use motorcycle to have DCT. I really do not think that every model will have a DCT version in the near the future. However there might be more of them in the next 5 years.

Given that the VRF1200F was first, and the 700/750 line was second, I'd say the Africa Twin was third to have DCT. I first rode the DCT VRF1200F in 2010.

Last edited:

Honda's VFR 1200 Crosstourer has also had a DCT transmission for at least 5 years. It has not been sold in the US until this year though. I agree with you on more power. The Crosstourer possesses a 100 Hp V-4, in an adventure style shaft driven package. I would like it to be my next bike but the retail price is very steep.

Given that the VRF1200F was first, and the 700/750 line was second, I'd say the Africa Twin was third to have DCT. I first rode the DCT VRF1200F in 2010.

Honda's VFR 1200 Crosstourer has also had a DCT transmission for at least 5 years. It has not been sold in the US until this year though. I agree with you on more power. The Crosstourer possesses a 100 Hp V-4, in an adventure style shaft driven package. I would like it to be my next bike but the retail price is very steep.

Thank you all for reminding me. I totally for got about the VFR1200 as it was very short lived here in the US.

Basically there are only 3 on-road engine families that utilize DCT, VFR1200, NC700/750 and CRF1000. There might be another on the drawing board, however I would not hold my breath waiting on it.

The CB1100F is from an older engine family so it would surprise me if it eventually got the DCT, and besides it's considered a retro bike. All the others are fairly new engines. There are rumors that the 2017 Gold Wing will be "all-new" with a DCT option.

The CB1100F is from an older engine family so it would surprise me if it eventually got the DCT, and besides it's considered a retro bike. All the others are fairly new engines.

Again I am under the impression that Honda would not re-engineering an older model to be fitted with DCT. Also I have seen a trend that Honda doesn't want to do "Retro Bikes" again. I do not think that the CB1100F sold very well. My local dealer has had the same CB1100F in their showroom for a good part of a year. They offered to sell it to me at their cost to get it off their floor. I declined as I do not want a litre bike again, as the insurance is quite costly.

There are rumors that the 2017 Gold Wing will be "all-new" with a DCT option.

This would be a logical choice at this point and in the evolution of the Gold Wing. There are plenty of touring bikes options on the market today and Honda could lose their market share in this category. Leaving the Gold Wing unchanged the next model year or few following years would only hurt them and their business. Honda is known as the innovator in the industry. Not deciding to go this route would be foolish and have unforeseen percussions.

Again I must remind all you readers that these are my own thoughts and opinions on this subject.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. In Europe, we have a couple more models with DCT - the CTX700 as well as the rather hideous Vultus NM-4. Where the latter is concerned, if they haven't released it in the states, thank your lucky stars. It really is ugly.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. In Europe, we have a couple more models with DCT - the CTX700 as well as the rather hideous Vultus NM-4. Where the latter is concerned, if they haven't released it in the states, thank your lucky stars. It really is ugly.

We have the CTX and the NM4 in the States as well. They fall under the same 700/750 family. The US did not get anything with the 750 engine, the NC700S, nor the Integra.

I test rode the VFR 1200. It is big and comfy, plenty of power, more flickable than you would expect.

It is heavy, and probably a garage pig as a result. The gas mileage is not great.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "garage pig"?

Thanks.

Anything that takes up too much valuable garage space.

A typical American's garage looks something like this.

full-garage-.jpg

Last edited:
It may not make it to the CB1100, but it would really surprise me if the Goldwing didn't get a DCT option very soon. As a matter of fact, I believe that we're going to see more automatic options from more manufacturers.

The 2017 Goldwing is listed on the Honda web site. The only change thus far is the colors. No DCT mentioned.

2017 Gold Wing Overview - Honda Powersports

Wow! The gold wing is almost a two liter engine and the top of the line model (includes footwarmers!) retails for $28K. I just purchased a 2016 Honda CRV EXL-with NAV for $27K before Tax and License. It retails for $31 but $30K but we got $3K off using the Costco purchase program. I guess Gold Wing territory is for the wealthier folks out there...and I'm not poor, but I could never spend that much on a new motorcycle.

Wow! The gold wing is almost a two liter engine and the top of the line model (includes footwarmers!) retails for $28K. I just purchased a 2016 Honda CRV EXL-with NAV for $27K before Tax and License. It retails for $31 but $30K but we got $3K off using the Costco purchase program. I guess Gold Wing territory is for the wealthier folks out there...and I'm not poor, but I could never spend that much on a new motorcycle.

Think about the cost of a Goldwing trike! First you have to buy the motorcycle from Honda, then you have to throw part of it away and buy the trike kit from a third party. Then you can buy a paint matched trailer. I'd say you're near $45K at that point.

Last edited:
Making a new Gold Wing into a trike usually violates the warranty, and it doesn't matter if the work is done by a Honda dealer.

Back