• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda 42L top box key

ron700

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the procedure to keying the Honda top box and saddle bags to the ignition key? I can't seem to find this info just short of chasing after the dealer.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
The key for the Honda top case that I have is smaller, I want to check with a locksmith and see if the lock could be keyed to only use the tip of the ignition key. But I suspect it to be an over priced convenience. Can't confirm on the saddle bags, yet I would suspect that the ignition key code would be part of the purchase process. Edit That's good to know about the tumblers being set to your key when purchased. I will be looking for a good new price or even a used set.
Big E

Last edited:
When I got my saddle bags, they came with a kit for the installer to match the bags to the ignition. They did that just fine. The top box was another story. I don't think that one will adapt to the ignition key. FWIW

The Honda trunks (top boxes) can be keyed to ignition. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how (don't know).

I had read somewhere that the Honda Top Box and Side Cases could be keyed to the ignition also. However, when I got my Top Box I was surprised to see the small key that came with it. And that was all that came with it. I don't see how it can be keyed to the ignition since the shank on the ignition key is 1 inch longer than the one on the Top Box key. Plus the key is thinner. It may be different for the Side Cases, but it looks like I stuck with the small Top Box key. But carrying 2 keys on my key ring isn't that big of a deal. It could be worse. They could've keyed the ignition and tank storage compartment differently!

They don't need a key code when you order the saddle bags. Everything you need comes with the kit to "program" the lock set to your ignition key. The saddle bag kit came with a collection of tumblers for the lock set. You trial fit different tumblers using your ignition key. Once you get the right combination of tumblers in the right positions you complete the assembly of the lock. Pretty slick setup. I can't comment on the top box though. I don't have one.

WGW

I only know that the one NC I've seen with the Honda trunk on it opened via ignition key. Maybe that guy did some kind of 'special' work?

Thanks folks. I was also under the impression that both, the top and saddlebags, were keyed to the ignition. I'll have to question the dealer on that. Still waiting on my saddlebags, tall windscreen and center stand to arrive.

When I got my saddle bags, they came with a kit for the installer to match the bags to the ignition. They did that just fine. The top box was another story. I don't think that one will adapt to the ignition key. FWIW

Does it look as thought the tumblers could be reset if the kit is saved if the bags were re-sold to another owner?

If you kept all the extra parts, then sure, you would have everything you need to reset the lock for any NC700X key.

Here is what was left over from my kit:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2021-lock1.jpg

Here are the tumblers. The center holes vary in position on the tumbler:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2022-lock2.jpg

Parts list:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2023-lock3.jpg

This shows how the key is used:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2024-lock4.jpg

Basically you trial fit each tumbler. If it's not flat with the cylinder, you try the next one.

WGW

If you kept all the extra parts, then sure, you would have everything you need to reset the lock for any NC700X key.

Here is what was left over from my kit:

Basically you trial fit each tumbler. If it's not flat with the cylinder, you try the next one.

WGW

Awesome. Thanks for the info and now I know what to expect. I'm still puzzled on if the top box is supposed to come with such kit?

Hello all
Let me put all myths to shame.
Honda Topcases are equipped with lock-mechanism which can be modified by a Honda Key-set to fit the Ignition Key.
I was skeptical a few months back, but 4 weeks ago, the Honda garage did just that for my 35L Honda topcase.
It is all "original" and easy to fit.

Costs? He did this for free. So I am guessing it is quite cheap for him to order this part.
:p
~Joe

Happy. The search is on for the part number for that re-key set
WGW was there a part number on the tumbler sets? Thanks for posting the photos.
RON700. mine did not come with a re-key tumbler set. I think it was a show display or return kit with rack, has a small dent from new, purchased eBay.
I will call my dealer Monday and see if he will oblige. I may have to beg.
BigE

Last edited:
Triumpher,

Just to be sure we're on all the same page, I ordered my OEM 42L top box from the dealer. The box arrived (to me) with what appeared to be original factory packaged (unbroken seal) and had no tumbler set either. And, as someone here mentioned, the lock mechanism appears different in size from the ignition key. I'm still going to pose the question to the dealer.

Sorry, no part numbers other than for the entire saddle bag kit. Honda refers to it as the "One key system" (see narrative below):

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2026-onekey.jpg

They don't mention it for the top box though:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture1865-trunk.jpg

For sure check with the dealer though. It looks like they use the system for trunks on other models. Here's a box that may use it:

HONDA : Top box 40L : One - Key - System type [08L75MFT630ZB]

WGW

It is bothersome that the Honda parts online schematics don't show part lists for the accessories. I want to support my dealers best I can, but the internet is so convenient. I like to have the part number ready so I can feel confident that the parts desk person can find it faster a confirm what I really want to purchase. They gotta get you in the door and of course I live in a large metro with lots of competition.

Off topic but here is a matching car for the NC
Honda N 0ne.jpg

BigE

No luck in my search for a Honda part number kit to re-key a 08L55-EWL-100-E 45L top case. Dealer scratching their heads and two locksmiths say they can't do it. The lock is smaller than the other as far as I can tell it could be done with the right parts but I give up.
BigE

Back