• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's your top recommend mod?

combatcrab

Reaction score
Visit site
BLUF (Bottom line up front): what mods do you most recommend?

Hi! I sudo-inherited (bit of a story) a 2013 NC700x. Prior to this I hadn't ridden in 12+ years (I had a Vulcan 800 in my 20's).

I'm really digging this bike. I have become pretty committed to making it a daily driver, commuting 1.5 hrs a day in Pennsylvania.

I had some throw-over saddle bags but was immediately turned-off by having to remove them to refuel... So I have Givi top/side racks and cases on order.

I noticed the headlamp isn't great (morning commute is in total darkness) and have also ordered a plug-in-play LED headlamp bulb, but also crash bars and a pair of cheap aux lights to mount on them. (I ordered the Honda sub harness and relay as well)

The last thing I ordered was a Denali soundbomb horn with mount and wiring.

Are there any essentials I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

JC.

On my 2021, I consider 3 mods good. Givi touring shield, Oxford heated grips ( with handlebar muffs in winter) and homemade frunk knob.

I've also added a T Rex luggage rack, Nelson Rigg tail pack and a Zoo Med labs ambient temp gauge from Petco.

Last edited:
BLUF (Bottom line up front): what mods do you most recommend?

Hi! I sudo-inherited (bit of a story) a 2013 NC700x. Prior to this I hadn't ridden in 12+ years (I had a Vulcan 800 in my 20's).

I'm really digging this bike. I have become pretty committed to making it a daily driver, commuting 1.5 hrs a day in Pennsylvania.

I had some throw-over saddle bags but was immediately turned-off by having to remove them to refuel... So I have Givi top/side racks and cases on order.

I noticed the headlamp isn't great (morning commute is in total darkness) and have also ordered a plug-in-play LED headlamp bulb, but also crash bars and a pair of cheap aux lights to mount on them. (I ordered the Honda sub harness and relay as well)

The last thing I ordered was a Denali soundbomb horn with mount and wiring.

Are there any essentials I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Taller Windscreen

Sykik tire pressure monitoring system for safety. Madstad windshield and heated grips for comfort. On a 2013 with stock seat raise the front of the seat 5/8*.

That's funny, coming from a 2010 BMW, the stock Honda headlight was an incredible improvement. I still think 'Wow, this is a good headlight' when I ride at night.

For me the Madstad windscreen was a must. I could probably live with everything else, but I raised the bars about 6", did the seat slope mod, added fog lights, hard bags, crash bars, aux fuel bottles, gps holder, and tpms system. My rear trunk is always on since the hard cases kill the mpg.

I like the temp gauge idea a lot!

I probably have 40 modifications on my NC, but top of the list is probably addressing the stock seat discomfort, and adding the Madstad windscreen.

My advice is always to wait at least 6 months before modifying a bike. I've found that I have to allow enough time for me to adjust to the bike. There have always been things that seemed like an issue after a new purchase that aren't noticed after some time in the saddle. I always try my best to let the bike tell me what it needs. This has saved me a lot of money over the years.

With this system, I've only made two modifications to Matilda and I'm seriously contemplating a 3rd.

-Replaced the foot pegs with Gold Wing foot pegs. The skinny stock pegs would put pressure points in my arch that got uncomfortable after ~4hours or so.
-Madstad adjustable windshield.
-Upgrade to a Stebel or equivalent horn (contemplating)

The previous owner put a Sargent seat on it. It works pretty well, not sure if I would have needed to change the stock saddle though. I've found that stock saddles are very comfortable for me if I allow time to adjust to the bike and use proper posture.

That's funny, coming from a 2010 BMW, the stock Honda headlight was an incredible improvement. I still think 'Wow, this is a good headlight' when I ride at night.

For me the Madstad windscreen was a must. I could probably live with everything else, but I raised the bars about 6", did the seat slope mod, added fog lights, hard bags, crash bars, aux fuel bottles, gps holder, and tpms system. My rear trunk is always on since the hard cases kill the mpg.
Last night I swapped out the bulb with a fairly cheap LED by "Beamtech" . The light was definitely brighter, but I found the pattern to be the same. I it just seemed low, like it was pointing straight down. I found the up/down adjustment wheel and raised it ever so slightly. WOW. That's the difference I was looking for. I'm going to keep the LED for now, but if I were to start from the beginning I'd try adjusting the light angle first.

Sykik tire pressure monitoring system for safety. Madstad windshield and heated grips for comfort. On a 2013 with stock seat raise the front of the seat 5/8*.
Are you using the internal or external sensors? The external sensors look pretty cool, but I didn't have the foresight to use steel valve stems when I replaced the tires a few weeks ago.

E
Are you using the internal or external sensors? The external sensors look pretty cool, but I didn't have the foresight to use steel valve stems when I replaced the tires a few weeks ago.
External sensors. Use compression tubes to support the valve stem until you change the tires. Myself see no need to use internal sensors ever again. The add-on external monitors are inexpensive and uber reliable and if a sensor battery goes low it can be replaced in a few minutes.

E

External sensors. Use compression tubes to support the valve stem until you change the tires. Myself see no need to use internal sensors ever again. The add-on external monitors are inexpensive and uber reliable and if a sensor battery goes low it can be replaced in a few minutes.
I'm intrigued. Thank you! Googling "valve stem compression tubes"...

I'm intrigued. Thank you! Googling "valve stem compression tubes"...
Not sure what a Google search will turn up but a thread I started yesterday shows a simple plastic one I fabricated from a magic markers cap.

my key upgrades on my 2015 DCT:

seat (sergeant)
windscreen (Madstad)
rear shock (ohlins)
rear rack to replace pillion seat (Dale's rack)

Last edited:
Not sure what a Google search will turn up but a thread I started yesterday shows a simple plastic one I fabricated from a magic markers cap.

Very cool. Thanks for the link! Since I'm about to install a center stand, I think I'll go ahead and swap out the valve stems while it's in the air. The magic marker idea is pretty slick, but out of an abundance of caution I still want some metal on the inside of the rim to help support the added weight of the tpms caps.

A center stand is the only 'essential' you're missing, and I see you already plan to get that. A different windscreen was important to me (vs the factory fly screen). A different seat is essential if you hate the factory one, or not if you don't. I find a couple of RAM ball mounts on the handlebars quite handy.

I like my PIAA LED auxiliary driving-pattern lights, but they're pricey (likely because they did a bunch of actual engineering and have an outstanding pattern) so most don't seem very interested.

I have every accessory Honda offered on my 2012. Luggage was important to me, and you have that coming. The wind deflectors do little, but they do a little. Former member Strat tuner made a rather extensive wind protection set-up out of lexan at home. Look up his old threads on it if you want more wind protection as the seasons get colder.

The NCX is an outstanding commuter!

Skene Photon Blasters were the best safety mod I have made. For me, they have demonstrably improved my forward conspicuity. Improper pullouts are dramatically reduced; actually rare after installing them on 5 bikes now.

Front and rear suspension upgrades are the best performance mods I’ve made. I put a cartridge emulator and springs up front and a Hyperpro fully adjustable shock on the rear. Truly transformative.

Two not so good mods for me were the Seat Concepts seat and Puig windscreen. Though these are both victims of subjectivity, both were a waste of money for me.

Back