• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help? New member

Troy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to forums altogether. I have an NC700X. Just bought it. I have a concern. At idle it sounds very chunky and has a slight metal slap sound. Can't be normal? the bike is just broke in. I'm wondering if there is anyone near me that would let me come and listen to their bike because if this is indeed a problem I would like to get it taken care of before its first oil change so I won't have any dealer hassle.

Welcome Troy, sorry the first post is about a strange noise...:(

Are you the first owner? I'm thinking if it's so brand new it hasn't had the first break in oil change yet, I would definitely take it to the dealer and have them document in writing, your exact concern and what their diagnosis of it is (or isn't) no matter what.

These motors aren't really sewing machine quiet, they do clack about a wee bit.

Does the sound change at all when you pull the clutch in and let it out?

I'm assuming you don't have a center stand, and aren't idling the bike in gear, with the rear wheel up off the ground.

Don't laugh, I have seen people point accusingly at their bikes idling in gear on the center stand, and being all alarmed that the bike was clunking and bucking and shuddering turning over at 1,100 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear...

What is your basic background in motorcycle use and ownership? New to everything, or and old pro, but with different types of bikes?

Your "noise" may be everybody else's "they all do that", or old owners here may gasp in terror at the horrendous racket issuing forth, described as a "slight metal slap"

I've always had a bike or three, lol. I read a lot before I bought this one. I've watched videos and as much as I can hear it idles similar but mine seems too accentuated, too loud. Guess I'm going to the dealer. Would be nice to hear it next to another one first though.

I've always had a bike or three, lol. I read a lot before I bought this one. I've watched videos and as much as I can hear it idles similar but mine seems too accentuated, too loud. Guess I'm going to the dealer. Would be nice to hear it next to another one first though.

Ya no doubt. No one wants to think they hear their brand new baby making sketchy sounds eh?

One more question- are you doing the listening just standing beside your bike with no helmet on, or is this even with wearing a helmet?

On the few occasions I've stood beside (any) of my bikes without a helmet, I've been freaked out at how hideous and slappy/crunchy they sound, lol :eek:

My brand new BMW was the worst. That thing had people walking by in the crosswalk look alarmed and ask me if my bike was ok, or was there something very wrong with it...:rolleyes:

They are somewhat clunky. I was concerned about mine when I first got it but got used to it.
Try the member map in the blue bar at the top of the page. These NC owners are a great bunch that just love to help.

If it is under warranty, and even before the 600 mile, it makes sense to have the dealer take a look. if there is something mechanically wrong, they would be the ones who have to fix it under the warranty anyway. Also, when you do take it in, have them double-check ALL the recalls for the model - there may not be any, but may as well do it while you are there.

Definitely take it to the dealer. Sounds like it needs its first oil change anyway. But just for grins and giggles consider taking a video of it idling and posting it on Youtube, then post a link here so we can all take a listen and offer our sage advice. Or our wild guesses.

So,... I took my bike to the nearest dealer (40 minutes away) I actually bought it from a dealer that was two hours away. This dealer immediately said, "We're two weeks out" as if to dissuade me from leaving the bike there. He was rude and doesn't care about my business or my bike. He wouldn't have a service person listen to it because they are "Too busy". I made him walk out and listen to it and he agreed that its too loud and probably the timing chain tensioner. At that point I made him take the bike. He quickly and sloppily wrote up a ticket for it and told me to leave it there with the key in it. I had to actually ask him for a some kind of proof that he has my bike. He had a counter helper tear a tab off the invoice and hand it to me. I only hope that his service techs have a better work ethic. In case you're wondering it's at B&B Honda in Sikeston MO. and this is the last time that it will be there. He only softened a bit when I asked him to order me in a rear rack for the bike. I'm trying to be optimistic. It's not easy though.

Lol, I just couldn't stand the thought of leaving my new bike at a place were I felt like they didn't want it so I called the dealer and calmly asked him if he would like me to take the bike somewhere else. Turns out he's just a coarse fellow. He called himself, "straightforward" and he assured me that they will take care of my new machine. I just can't wait to get back on it! I've never had a bike this size that is so rock solid at highway speeds.

Now that you mention it I haven't either. I've never owned a brand new bike until now and it being just broke in, not even having its first oil change (under warranty and all) I don't want to touch it if I don't have to lol. I'll keep y'all posted on what the dealer finds.

I went to Little Ed's house yesterday and listened to his 2012 NC700X. His bike sounds great at idle (not like mine) however,... I watched a youtube video titled NC700X off road with street tires. His bike is a 2015 like mine. There is much idling and low end grunting in the video and I'll be darned if his bike doesn't sound like mine. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer..... I guess even if they just hand it back to me, at least I'll have it on record in case something does go wrong down the line.

I have never had anyone else work on any of my motorcycles. Although, there have been times I wish I had!

Funny, I was the same way until this one. I wash it and ride it. The low output motor doesn't need much attention. Which is another reason I like the bike.

Back