• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help? New member

My refusal to acknowledge that loud ticking noise from the engine ended with an emergency trip to the shop and my bike is still there after 1 week.
Allegedly the timing chain came off the actuators(sprockets) and thingd were torn to bits inside which requires an engine oil sump clean up and replacement of timing chain assembly.

Case is now being reviewed by Honda Swiss.
My bike is 4.5 years old with 16000km.
All yearly oil changes done and ridden with care.

I hope you get yours sorted out.
Cheers.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear about your bike Happy. Thank you for the information. It helps me to think that I've done the right thing.

I'm picking up the bike today. They recommend that I run it out to the 600 miles and change the oil and hopefully that will quiet the noise down. I know, I think its wrong too but it will be on record if/when the engine does come apart. Meanwhile I've got a brand new bike that I'm embarrassed to be on at traffic lights. I'm so disappointed. Once I get it home I'm going to park it in the garage and ignore it for awhile. It makes you want to leave it in third and just ride the rev limiter.

I've listened to two other nc700's at idle. Also I got with Little Ed who lives near me. He and I switched bikes and went for a ride. we both agree that the sound is not the faint click of an injector, it's not the tick of a valve, its not the clutch box, but it's a sloppy slap. it's further confirmation for me that I'm not crazy. The weather is turning here so when it gets too cold to ride I'm going to take it back to Abernathy's in TN where I got it. I will post the results.

Has the valves been adjusted since you got the bike I've had parts not torqued down properly and come loose

Valves are considered owner maintance, so no shop will adjust for free. Try to convince owner you got the bike with this noise, but do it quick, do not wait for awhile. Setting valves on the NC7 is quite simple, but some folks just do not want to do maintance work. I am lazy and do not like doing any kind of work. However, I am a lot cheaper than I am lazy, so I adjust my own valves.

I picked up the bike from Abernathy's on Saturday. I was able to get them to put it on a dyno to warm it up so that they could hear the noise. They called Honda in Cali who had them pull the cover and check the play in the tensioner. the max play allowed is 6mm. Mine is at 5mm so its within specs. ive decided to just ride the bike untill the extended warranty runs out and revisit it then. I did make it clear to them that if this thing comes apart and I'm injured that I won't have a choice but to come after the dealership.

It can damage the engine. This is not worth a risk.
Just get new cam chain tensioner - 14510-MGS-D30 - $80.88 from ProCaliber.

I'm in Warrenton (About 150 miles away) and can ride by when it warms up a bit Troy. I'm a fairly new owner and have some engine noise sound concerns as well on my 2015.

Back