• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello folks

Cagedodger

Reaction score
Visit site
I figured I might as well go ahead and drop a quick post for you folks. I don't have an NC700X yet (what's the commonly accepted nickname since that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue? NC? 700X? NC7? NCX?) but I'm about 95% positive it will be my next bike, beating out the '12 Wee Strom. I'm looking for an economical bike with an upright seating position to commute with that can pull double duty on the weekends for everything up to fire roads. No real adventure.

I'm looking at the DCT version mainly because of the ABS. I'm still not sold on the DCT because I haven't stumbled upon reports of how it handles low speed without a clutch to feather. Any input on that would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a link to a previously established thread. I do think that ABS is enough of a selling point to me to push me towards that model.

I haven't test ridden one yet and I'm OK with that because it has the features that I want in an all around bike and the seating position is perfect, even if the seat itself isn't quite right (no shock there... no manufacturer has ever gotten that right). I am curious about the forks though. They seem like they're the decades old design... there's nothing hidden in there to make them decent, right? Plain old dampeners and springs? Speaking of forks, is there a good fork brace for it yet?

I'll probably have a real reason to be here in the next month or so. I'll go back to lurking and spying until then. Thanks for having a nice clean forum (some I have seen are real train wrecks!) to look through.

Welcome,
You will find a lot of different views about the NC here, but we all seem to agree Honda has a good machine in this model. I for one do not consider it anthing other than a great street motorcycle. And when I look to do some dual sport riding I want a true dual sport motorcycle. Others here do plan to make the NC into a more worthy adventure motorcycle.

Art

Welcome.
I just got the DCT and, before my puchase, had some of the same questions as you. I have only put about 150 miles on it so far, so my experience on this machine is limited, but here are my observations.
For the most part I adapted to the DCT transmission right away. I mean, it IS automatic! It differs from a car transmission tho. When in drive a car will idle forward under it's own power when easing off the brake. The same is true for slow speed manuevers in a car (backing out of the driveway, etc). Let off the brake and the car will move! Not true with the DCT. If no throttle is given the bike doesn't move. The DCT will not idle forward under it's own power while in gear. When you come to stop on this bike you do not have to use any brake to keep you from moving. The bike stays in first gear, but will not idle forward. In fact, you can roll backward if you're on an incline. So this bike will not use the motor to "idle" thru a slow speed manuever like a u turn. I have found a little throttle, and sometimes combined with a little REAR brake, is needed. It doesn't have to be constant throttle...just enough to keep your momentum going thru the turn.
I test drove both the X and DCT and performed several u turns and slow speed turns in a parking lot before deciding on which model. I suggest you do the same.
The front forks shouldn't surprize you. This is an economy bike and Honda cut corners to keep costs down. There again, a test drive will answer most questions and concerns.
I am EXTREMELY pleased with this bike so far. I've been riding a long time and have had many bikes. This is my first automatic and I recommend it.
I hope this helps...good luck.
BTW I like ur username!

Welcome.
I just got the DCT and, before my purchase, had some of the same questions as you. I have only put about 150 miles on it so far, so my experience on this machine is limited, but here are my observations.
For the most part I adapted to the DCT transmission right away. I mean, it IS automatic! It differs from a car transmission tho. When in drive a car will idle forward under it's own power when easing off the brake. The same is true for slow speed manuevers in a car (backing out of the driveway, etc). Let off the brake and the car will move! Not true with the DCT. If no throttle is given the bike doesn't move. The DCT will not idle forward under it's own power while in gear. When you come to stop on this bike you do not have to use any brake to keep you from moving. The bike stays in first gear, but will not idle forward. In fact, you can roll backward if you're on an incline. So this bike will not use the motor to "idle" thru a slow speed manuever like a u turn. I have found a little throttle, and sometimes combined with a little REAR brake, is needed. It doesn't have to be constant throttle...just enough to keep your momentum going thru the turn.
I test drove both the X and DCT and performed several u turns and slow speed turns in a parking lot before deciding on which model. I suggest you do the same.
The front forks shouldn't surprize you. This is an economy bike and Honda cut corners to keep costs down. There again, a test drive will answer most questions and concerns.
I am EXTREMELY pleased with this bike so far. I've been riding a long time and have had many bikes. This is my first automatic and I recommend it.
I hope this helps...good luck.
BTW I like ur username!

Welcome aboard!! Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures :)

I have the DCT model as well but haven't ridden much lately. However, I'll echo what Searsboy mentioned in the post above. When slow maneuvering, I've found that feathering the foot brake and throttle works best. To each his own and everyone develops a strategy that works best for 'em. This is my first Auto bike with the capability to run manually (minus the clutch and shifter) and I'm loving it.

Thanks for the warm welcomes as well as the answers. It's good to hear that my suspicions are confirmed on the way the DCT operates. The DCT sounds nice (especially since my main use of a bike it to commute in heavy traffic, hence the name) but the main reason I'm looking at that model is the ABS. In all honesty, I'd probably prefer the standard if it came with ABS. It definitely wouldn't be my first automatic, I've had a number of different scooters; my current is a Piaggio MP3 500; which probably goes to show that I'm a fan of weird PTW technologies.

I'm actually kinda of happy about the fork situation. One of my other bikes is a Kawasaki Concours and that thing's front end would dive like a gold medal swimmer if you even touched the front breaks. I fixed that with a set of Intiminators from Ricor; friggin' awful name but the thing changes the way the fork handles dampening valving. From what I gather, the NC700X uses a 41mm fork as well, so I might pull those from my Concours and give them a try. I'll see if I can get some input from Ricor since I'll have to reshim them for the *much* lighter NC7. So once I find a fork brace to go along with it the fronts will be done.

I've already bought a pair of Pelican 1520's to use as side cases, and I'll just pirate some hardwear from my other bikes (cause they'll end up on Craigslist if I've got one that'll do 65-70 mpg and has decent storage) and I should have it set for commuter duty in short order. Heated grips will most likely be high on the list considering the time of year. I guess I'll go rooting around the forum for good options on fuse block locations.

Make that 100%. I signed the papers tonight on my way through town to visit relatives and I'll pick it up next weekend. The local dealer couldn't get me the price he initially told me a few weeks ago. I was a hair's width from getting a '12 Wee Strom when a Honda dealer a few hours away returned an email inquiry with his best out the door price. It was close enough to the first price I was given and we would just so happen to be passing within 20 miles on our way to the mountains... well, I figured I'd take that as a sign.

I'm quite eager to get it home... but that first 100 miles is gonna be a bit chilly without heated grips and hand guards. Or a windshield.

There are a lot of towns where I think the DCT would be well served near me. If I were to get an auto, I would choose Honda 1st.
Honda didn't get their reputation for problems. That being said, I am totally happy with my manual transmission.
I chose this model because of the reliability that comes with the Honda name, the low center of gravity and last but not least, the awesome fuel mileage.
Other than the seat, this is a great bike. Its a great bike with a KLR price, and you can add what you want, when you want.

Make that 100%. I signed the papers tonight on my way through town to visit relatives and I'll pick it up next weekend. The local dealer couldn't get me the price he initially told me a few weeks ago. I was a hair's width from getting a '12 Wee Strom when a Honda dealer a few hours away returned an email inquiry with his best out the door price. It was close enough to the first price I was given and we would just so happen to be passing within 20 miles on our way to the mountains... well, I figured I'd take that as a sign.

I'm quite eager to get it home... but that first 100 miles is gonna be a bit chilly without heated grips and hand guards. Or a windshield.

Welcome and congrats on pulling the trigger!

Congratulations on your purchase. The DCT is the best choice in heavy traffic, IMHO. Clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch gets annoying after a while.

....and we refer to my bike as the

"X"

Ditto the congrats on your purchase!
Let us know your impressions of riding the bike AND your chilly ride home with it!!!

Thanks for the congrats, folks! I've got an order in for some Givi stuff (mainly the windshield) so hopefully that makes it here before the end of the week. If not, I'll at least have a reasonable expectation for the Summer time, heh. I suppose I'll also have a pretty good handle on what I want to do with the seat when I get home, hah!

Back