• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Have you deciphered the 2014 instrument panel yet?

get shot of it and get the 700 .no gimmickry stuff on these. OK I'll get me coat
getmecoat.gif

:confused: The OP has a 700. No other choice here in the States.

I have noticed and wondered about the same thing with my 2014 700X. Even the trip meter starts flashing 0.0 when you go on to reserve. One time though I was stuck in traffic and ran a while on reserve and it seemed to switch to 0.1 and that worried me cause I didnt know it it was trying to say I had .1 galons of reserve left and luckily I came to a service station then and refilled, even if it was a downtown mom and pop place that charged 12 cents a gal more then most.

I mean how can I tell how long I have been on reserve when it causes all the other meters to stop working ?

Oh and I had my tripmeter reset once but assumed I had just hit the b button reset by mistake, and very well may have

I thought the gallons reading showed the amount of fuel used in Trip A. I can see some people wanting that, especially if a trip spans multiple days.
Check out these three photos I just took a few minutes ago. Something is very screwy or maybe Honda is using some sort of new math....

Avg MPG

IMG_5688-M.jpg

Gallons used since last trip "A" reset

IMG_5689-M.jpg

Ok, so if I averaged 65.8 Mpg and used 1.2 gal the trip meter should read 65.8 x 1.2, right? Well, check it out:

IMG_5690-M.jpg

See what I mean about this screwy dash info? BTW, I had reset trip "A" this morning when I refueled....about 60 miles ago (!!).

I have absolutely <no idea> what that 1.2 gal means....I have more than that amount left in the tank, I've used more than that covering the miles in both the trip 'A' and trip 'B' odometers...Maybe it is tunnel into next weeks winning lotto numbers?

I also have no idea why my trip 'A' meter is saying 26.1 when it should be at least double that <shrugs>....

Last edited:
Check out these three photos I just took a few minutes ago. Something is very screwy or maybe Honda is using some sort of new math....

Avg MPG

IMG_5688-M.jpg

Gallons used since last trip "A" reset

IMG_5689-M.jpg

Ok, so if I averaged 65.8 Mpg and used 1.2 gal the trip meter should read 65.8 x 1.2, right? Well, check it out:

IMG_5690-M.jpg

See what I mean about this screwy dash info? BTW, I had reset trip "A" this morning when I refueled....about 60 miles ago (!!).

I have absolutely <no idea> what that 1.2 gal means....I have more than that amount left in the tank, I've used more than that covering the miles in both the trip 'A' and trip 'B' odometers...Maybe it is tunnel into next weeks winning lotto numbers?

I also have no idea why my trip 'A' meter is saying 26.1 when it should be at least double that <shrugs>....

Right you're suffering trip resets. This has been quite a common phenomenon on the UK forum with 2014 models. Quite a few complaints have been reported to Honda who are currently investigating the matter. I would report the matter to both your dealer and Honda USA. Plus mention that there's been a number of reports of this nature on the UK NC forum.

I emailed my dealer the link to the other thread on here about this problem, the name of the thread title escapes me at the moment.

Hopefully it'll be forwarded on up the Honda chain.

I emailed my dealer the link to the other thread on here about this problem, the name of the thread title escapes me at the moment.

Hopefully it'll be forwarded on up the Honda chain.

Well, I glad to find out that I'm not completely bonkers and that the dash info display might be at fault. I'll contact my dealer shortly and advise them of the issues. Maybe I can get a software update (at the least) or a completely new dash (replacing my slightly melted one!) out of this....

Thanks to all for the replies

I was offered a new dash but the odometer would be set back at zero, something that would bug me, so I've decided to wait for a possible fix to the original dash.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Honda resolve this issue.

Simply because it wouldn't be 'right'.

This is my first and probably last brand new bike, after having many old bikes, this new one just has to be tip top in every way.

If I'm left with no option other than to have a new dash and zero miles then I will, rather than have trip meters that don't work.

Those with the 2014 help me out and check if the trip meter A automatically resets when you refuel after having the flashing gauges. After reading this other day I went for a ride and ran on to reserve, tried taking a picture but didnt have a camera. While trip meter a was flashing 0.0 I noticed I could use the left side button to switch to overall miles and back to trip meter reading and it would reset to the 22 miles I had done. But then after like 10 seconds go back to flashing 0.0.

But when I refueled and started back up the trip meter A had reset itself. Maybe its supposed to reset on refuel and trip B is meant to keep track of overall trip ? But I need to do more testing so guess I need to go ride.

Answering this post ^^^^^^^

Today I did a 340+ mile ride. I zeroed trip meter 'A' at the start. On the way back from Twisted Throttle's open house, the red bar started flashing and of course the '0.0 gal' also started flashing. What I noticed is that the flashing '0.0' is actually a count up to 1.0 gallons (not 100 percent sure on the capacity).. As I rode, the flashing '0.0' would slowly increment up by 0.1 of a gallon. It was flashing '0.6' before I finally refueled.

When I got home, the Avg Gal was reading 61.6, the gal reading was 5.5 and trip meter A was reading 340 miles. The math jives pretty good, considering that distance is probably not as precisely measured as fuel flow.

Conclusion? When the '0.0 gal' is flashing it does not automatically reset trip meter 'A', at least in my case it didn't. However, maybe if you were to cycle through the A buttons while it is flashing it resets?

My trip meter 'A' has reset itself a few times on it's own, sometimes while riding and other times when parked and started back up again. Weird.

Last edited:
My trip meter 'A' has reset itself a few times on it's own, sometimes while riding and other times when parked and started back up again. Weird.

TELL YOUR DEALER!

The more reports of this the better, I for one want this resolved sooner rather than later.

Thanks. :)

Ran my into flashing again too and refueled and trip A didnt reset so that theory was wrong. Still if its just trip A resetting occassionally I plan to just use trip B. And if thats how the reserve works then you were pushing empty cause it lists a 3 gal tank and a .7 gal reserve.

I live in South Africa so my gauge is in liters and km. I was concerned with the flashing zero, but after watching for a while, it appears that when there are 3 liters left in the tank, it starts counting how much you have used of that 3 liters. On a long trip last Saturday I kept riding for a while after the zero appeared and got as far as 1.8 on the clock before refueling, (only refueled then because I wasn't sure how far the next filling station was). When I refueled, there was 1.2 liters left in the tank. 1.8 + 1.2 = 3 reserve?

According to my owners manual for a 2014, when the red bar starts to flash you have only 0.87 US gal(3.3 liters) of fuel left in the tank. They call this you "reserve fuel". No matter what you have your odometer switched to (odometer/trip/ave. gas mileage/etc.) at this time it will override it to the Reserve Fuel Consumption meter. This starts at 0.0 and counts up to .87 gallons(3.3 liters). The idea is that if you get to these numbers you have run out of gas.

Forgot something. Until you refuel, it will always switch back to the Reserve Fuel Consumption Meter no matter how many times you change it.

Last edited:
According to my owners manual for a 2014, when the red bar starts to flash you have only 0.87 US gal(3.3 liters) of fuel left in the tank. They call this you "reserve fuel". No matter what you have your odometer switched to (odometer/trip/ave. gas mileage/etc.) at this time it will override it to the Reserve Fuel Consumption meter. This starts at 0.0 and counts up to .87 gallons(3.3 liters). The idea is that if you get to these numbers you have run out of gas.

Forgot something. Until you refuel, it will always switch back to the Reserve Fuel Consumption Meter no matter how many times you change it.
Once you understand how it works (and assuming it does work without random resets) I think this is an improvement on the old dashboard.

I would NOT want that feature. I would rather see how much distance I have left before I'm out of fuel. And that I can do with an average trip meter. That fact that it can't be overridden is the bad thing.

Back