• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Have you deciphered the 2014 instrument panel yet?

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I tried reading the owner's manual but either I'm too dumb to understand it or the author got a "D" in their ESL class....BTW, can Honda make the manual even smaller with say, 2 point type? :)

My issues: Is there a way to turn off the flashing zeros in the main display when the red fuel lamp is activated? I have to fuel up every couple of days since when the dash is flashing, I can't read Avg MPG or Current MPG...Do we REALLY need a flashing red lamp and a flashing info display??

As I cycle through the 'A' button I get a "gallons" reading..WTH is that? Yesterday it read 7 something gallons (??) and when I hit the "B" button it zeroed. Doing so also zeroed out my trip "A" odo, Avg MPG and probably something else...

When I zero out trip 'A' odo it also resets (zeros out) any cumulative Avg MPG....normal? Zeroing out 'B' odo has no such effect.

I "heard" there was a DTE (distance to empty) function on the 2014 bikes....I guess that was just a rumor?

The flashing zeros every 130 miles (typically when my red low fuel bar is activated) are REALLY starting to get to me...Would drive me nuts on a trip of any length....

Why can't you read average mpg or current mpg??
Because once the red fuel light bar goes on (every 125 miles or so) the Avg MPG and Current MPG display (which ever one you had selected) disappears and "0.0" starts to flash in their place. This goes on until you refuel ( 70 or so miles later). Drives me nuts. Result? I have to refuel constantly to get rid of this annoyance.

If the red fuel bar was active in this picture, you could not see the Avg MPG figure...Instead, you see an annoying "0.0" flashing in it's place.

IMG_5681-L.jpg

Last edited:
I have <no idea> what the 0.7 gal means in this picture. How much fuel I used? Good news is once the red bar on the fuel gauge is fired up, it disappears...Sadly, it is replaced by the famous flashing zeros which are a type of mental torture...

IMG_5682-L.jpg

Last edited:
I can't remember which way round it is, but it's either what how much fuel you've used 0.7 of a gallon, or how much remaining fuel you have left. The manual does tell you. My manual is in the garage so I'm unable to get to it at the moment.

Because once the red fuel light bar goes on (every 125 miles or so) the Avg MPG and Current MPG display (which ever one you had selected) disappears and "0.0" starts to flash in their place. This goes on until you refuel ( 70 or so miles later). Drives me nuts. Result? I have to refuel constantly to get rid of this annoyance.

If the red fuel bar was active in this picture, you could not see the Avg MPG figure...Instead, you see an annoying "0.0" flashing in it's place.

IMG_5681-L.jpg

Right, now I see what you mean. I haven't experienced this on my bike, so I'm not sure if it's meant to be like that, or its just your bike. The reason I say this, is that some people have been suffering trip resets on their 2014 model machines, but once again I have to say my bike hasn't suffered the same problem. Maybe an idea to ask on the Uk forum as there's quite a few on there with 2014 model machines.

In fact thinking about it, I think your dash may have a fault. I can't see any reason why your avge mpg readout would flash 0.0. mine certainly doesn't.

Last edited:
So the "0.0" display that appears when the fuel reaches Reserve level, doesn't begin a count up or count down? It stays at 0.0? That kinda sucks! (especially if it over rides info you would rather see, and there already is the flashing red fuel gauge block moaning at you.

My BMW would over ride the gauge info with a flashing snowflake symbol and the ambient air temperature, if it was 32* F or lower. That was pretty irritating on a few longer rides that were at or below that temperature for entire days.

IMG_5681-L.jpg

Its odd that your red fuel bar would come on at 125 miles if you're getting 66.7 MPG. It should come on more like at 180 miles, unless you're not filling the tank all the way.

Its odd that your red fuel bar would come on at 125 miles if you're getting 66.7 MPG. It should come on more like at 180 miles, unless you're not filling the tank all the way.

I wonder how accurate the Honda version is? My F800 computer would tell great whopping fibs about the average mpg's and miles to empty, and then splutter out dead empty, lol

So the "0.0" display that appears when the fuel reaches Reserve level, doesn't begin a count up or count down?
I don't know/care if it counts up or down...I want it to go away. It is so annoying that as soon as it (and the idiotic red bar) start flashing I am compelled to refuel just to get rid of it.

Understand because of the puny tank this bike goes on reserve often. Each time it goes on reserve I can no longer leave Avg MPG or Current MPG on the info display.

I still have no idea what the purpose of the "gal" info is on the display....Who cares how much fuel they used?

Its odd that your red fuel bar would come on at 125 miles if you're getting 66.7 MPG.
Yes, but that current display (66.7 Mpg) is the result of a single 58 mile trip trying my best to emulate a hyper-mileage Prius. Typically I use my right wrist more so I don't get run over on Interstate 95. I never get remotely close to the crazy high mileage people report here.

With just under 1,500 miles and exactly one month of ownership my red fuel bar goes on between 125 and 135 miles.

I can't remember which way round it is, but it's either what how much fuel you've used 0.7 of a gallon, or how much remaining fuel you have left.
Well, it can't be how much fuel I have left since the flashing red bar isn't on. It has to be how much fuel I've used...which is completely useless information, since the tank is obviously more than half empty...

See what I mean about this crazy info display? ...Lot of info...most of it useless....

some people have been suffering trip resets on their 2014 model machines, but once again I have to say my bike hasn't suffered the same problem. Maybe an idea to ask on the Uk forum as there's quite a few on there with 2014 model machines.

I'm one of those 2014 owners with the mysterious trip meter resets. I've found no rhyme/reason to it yet. The last time it occurred from one day to the next. On a Friday, I reset it. On Saturday, I was riding and noticed the trip miles was about half of what it should be.

On ld_rider's point, I agree that the flashing of the entire dashboard and losing functionality during this time is annoying and unnecessary. Flashing the red reserve line on the fuel gauge would be sufficient.

I thought the gallons reading showed the amount of fuel used in Trip A. I can see some people wanting that, especially if a trip spans multiple days.

Lastly, I also thought I read that the 2014 had a "miles to empty" but I was disappointed to not find it there.

It would be nice for Honda do a firmware update to the dashboard computer to fix these defects and annoyances.

Last edited:
I share your pain and suffering. My 2014, which everyone says gets 'fantastic' mileage does the exact same thing. In reality, the NC700 gets only ordinary fuel mileage at freeway speeds of 70 mph--in the range of 50 mpg. That means at 150 miles on the clock things begin to flash and continue to flash until you fuel it up. It's simply an awful design, and pooh on Honda for it. Oh, my trip meter arbitrarily resets when I shut the bike off, which is another annoyance. I'll mention it to the service people when I have the next.

Id_rider, I've checked my manual and I'll try and post a pic this evening. However, in the meantime this is what my manual states:-
When the 1st (E) segment of the fuel gauge starts flashing, the odometer, trimester, fuel mileage meter,and fuel consumption meter switch to the reserve fuel consumption. You should refill the tank as soon as possible. Flashes from "0.0" L or gal.
So it looks like it is designed like that when your bike switches to reserve. I don't seem to ever remember it happening on my bike and definitely not after 125miles.

Last edited:
I wonder how accurate the Honda version is? My F800 computer would tell great whopping fibs about the average mpg's and miles to empty, and then splutter out dead empty, lol

I think owners are finding the fuel consumption read out on the NC is virtually spot on. So yes it's pretty darn accurate.

Back