• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Givi engine bars

Jeez! Where did that rearview mirror and horn fetish come from? I bet they haven't the alternator capacity to actually power all those lights. Mod doesn't translate here, but Dork would be a good description. I enjoyed my scooter, but it was a manly Yamaha TMax in the proper blue color.

Jeez! Where did that rearview mirror and horn fetish come from? I bet they haven't the alternator capacity to actually power all those lights. Mod doesn't translate here, but Dork would be a good description. I enjoyed my scooter, but it was a manly Yamaha TMax in the proper blue color.
On these scooters the alternators were probably more powerfull than the pathetic engines they had:) We didn't call them hair driers for nothing.
If you get a bit of spare time may I suggest that you may find googling "Mods and Rockers" quite interesting

I bought the Givi bars but became concerned that they did not provide longer bolts for the engine mounts.

I plan to get bolts 10mm longer so long as the distance to start of thread is adequate. I could not find these bolts in washer head, but +10mm will allow enough length to add a washer under the head. The upper right bolt can be re-used on the upper left. I purchased three new bolts in 55mm, 70mm (65 was not available), and 90mm length with grade 10.9 washers

I had a look at some crash-sliders and found the ones manufactured by Puig. FYI, they provide bolts to fit their slides in the lower engine mounts, and they almost match your findings: 90 mm long for the left and 60 mm long for the right. Instructions to mount the slides can be found at: http://www.puig.tv/descargas/PUIG14018.pdf

So, perfect research, many thanks!

I had a look at some crash-sliders and found the ones manufactured by Puig. FYI, they provide bolts to fit their slides in the lower engine mounts, and they almost match your findings: 90 mm long for the left and 60 mm long for the right. Instructions to mount the slides can be found at: http://www.puig.tv/descargas/PUIG14018.pdf

So, perfect research, many thanks!

Quite welcome. Longer is OK because they tap through to free air. The only issue is to make sure there is enough threaded length. That is where I made the distance up with one or two washers. Crash sliders have a place on a smooth well-groomed racetrack but their use has always bothered me on the street. They do not distribute the impact very well and they can "dig in" if they encounter a hole or a step in the pavement. That can shear the slider at the engine mount or possibly launch the bike into a roll.

Crash sliders have a place on a smooth well-groomed racetrack but their use has always bothered me on the street.

Absolutely agree, I prefer crash bars as well. Just checked the Puig sliders to see if they were providing bolts with their products or not, was a pleasure to see they actually do it-another spanish company doing good job

I bought the Givi bars

Hi Lee,

I just got my Givi bars. Do you remember if your bars presented this small asymetry?:

IMAG0159-3.jpg

I put my Givi engine bars on tonight with the longer bolts.

I just fitted my Givi engine bars too, following Beemerphile's advice about longer bolts

A couple of images with the result:

19092012681_zps8a66bb3a.jpg

19092012684_zps89d526b7.jpg

The only comment to do is that the measures of my original bolts were a little bit different to the measures taken by Beemer. It is strange, although my bike is european (spanish) and equiped with ABS, I don't think these are enough reasons for the different bolts...

Below, the measures of my bolts:

UPPER LEFT: 35mm long bolt with 4mm from face of frame flange to start of thread
UPPER RIGHT: 45mm long bolt with 12mm from face of frame flange to start of thread
LOWER LEFT: 80mm long bolt with 48mm from face of frame flange to start of thread
LOWER RIGHT: 55mm long bolt with 23mm from face of frame flange to start of thread

A couple of washers here and there did the job pretty well, and the original upper right bolt was used for the upper left as well.

HTH

I don't understand the difference between mine and yours, but as long as the bolt sticks out the back and the distance to start of threads is not greater than your measurement plus the thickness of the brackets, then all should be well. I know that you are aware of this José, but for others who haven't attempted it yet, if the start of threads is longer than the measured distance plus the thickness of the bracket, then the bolt will ground out when the end of threads is reached without tightening on the bracket and possibly damaging the threads in the engine block (because the bolt is harder than the block). A tap bolt (threaded the entire length) would end all worries, but these are not often available in the longer sizes. The longest 12mm extra fine tap bolt I could find was 65mm long.

I bought the Givi bars but became concerned that they did not provide longer bolts for the engine mounts.

Repeating my (condensed) comments made on the ADV Rider board...

Here are the numbers for the engine bolts on the US spec 700x with manual transmission (not DCT). All are grade 10.9 M12-1.25 hex washer head bolts.

UPPER LEFT: 35mm long bolt with 7mm from face of frame flange to start of thread
UPPER RIGHT: 45mm long bolt with 17mm from face of frame flange to start of thread
LOWER LEFT: 80mm long bolt with 46mm from face of frame flange to start of thread
LOWER RIGHT: 55mm long bolt with 30mm from face of frame flange to start of thread

Finally went ahead and got the GIVI crash bars for the NC700X for my DCT. I read in another thread that they will work on the DCT, but will not protect the clutch oil filter cover from scratches if it gets dropped. I'm OK with that as something is better than nothing. The only reason I'm posting about this at all is to let DCT owners know that Beemers bolt selection for the manual should work fine for the DCT. I checked and according to the service manual the 4 bolts in question are exactly the same on the NC700XD:

NC700XD_EngineMount-small.jpg

Thanks dog.

I still haven't decided if go for Givi or SW-MoTech... this pushed the edge closer to 50/50. :rolleyes:

I don't understand the difference between mine and yours, but as long as the bolt sticks out the back and the distance to start of threads is not greater than your measurement plus the thickness of the brackets, then all should be well. I know that you are aware of this José, but for others who haven't attempted it yet, if the start of threads is longer than the measured distance plus the thickness of the bracket, then the bolt will ground out when the end of threads is reached without tightening on the bracket and possibly damaging the threads in the engine block (because the bolt is harder than the block). A tap bolt (threaded the entire length) would end all worries, but these are not often available in the longer sizes. The longest 12mm extra fine tap bolt I could find was 65mm long.

Did the GIVI crash bar install today, I ordered your bolt selection from Bolt Depot with 5 washers. Didn't use a caliper, but eyeballing it to prevent grounding out any bolts resulted in me needing one more washer, which I found in my garage: 3 on the lower right and one on each of the rest -- including the reused flange bolt on the upper left.

Appreciate a few links on where to order the Givi engine guards online. TIA :)

Sure, no problem. I got mine from sporttour.com:

Givi TN1111 Engine Guards - Honda NC700 X - Sport Tour Ltd.

I will say they have the best designed website with the most complete information about the stuff they carry. I think the sites for Twisted Throttle and RevZilla just plain suck. Not too sure about shipping to Singapore though. Motorcycle Superstore had them at the same price last time I looked.

Last edited:
Sure, no problem. I got mine from sporttour.com:

Givi TN1111 Engine Guards - Honda NC700 X - Sport Tour Ltd.

I will say they have the best designed website with the most complete information about the stuff they carry. I think the sites for Twisted Throttle and RevZilla just plain suck. Not too sure about shipping to Singapore though. Motorcycle Superstore had them at the same price last time I looked.

I also just received my givi bars from sporttour.com. ordered monday evening and received them Today via Fedex.
Holy cow the instructions that came with the bars are pretty useless I'd say. I was trying to read the "Pictures" to figure out whats required but with no luck.... I wish my install instructions were anything better than what they are. The installation does look like its supposed to be pretty straight forward but for someone who hasnt put them on before on any bike it may take a bit of figuring out (Which i still havent done yet). :|

I also just received my givi bars from sporttour.com. ordered monday evening and received them Today via Fedex.
Holy cow the instructions that came with the bars are pretty useless I'd say. I was trying to read the "Pictures" to figure out whats required but with no luck.... I wish my install instructions were anything better than what they are. The installation does look like its supposed to be pretty straight forward but for someone who hasnt put them on before on any bike it may take a bit of figuring out (Which i still havent done yet). :|

Yes, those instructions aren't very good. You are mostly concerned with the engine mount bolts. They are items 1-4 in this illustration:

View attachment 4631

I would also carefully look over the earlier postings in this thread and consider getting the longer bolts Beemer mentions. The right is harder on the DCT, so I would start with it.

Back