• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gear Indicator

nc700xbarcelona

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
Am I the only who misses a current gear selected indicator on the NC? I got used to seeing this on the bike I passed my test on earlier this year and now I keep looking at the instrument display expecting to be reminded of what gear I'm in, but I just see what time it is ;-)
Of course after 600 miles of riding my new NC700X, I;ve become accustomed to the engine tone and the RPM, but still...most bikes now have this feature so it must be that most people prefer to have it?
Any thoughts?

Well never had it in 10years of riding so do not miss or feel I need it

Tony

I have no idea way my manual does not have a gear indicator, when my auto does.

I have no idea way my manual does not have a gear indicator, when my auto does.

This.

I've never had a bike that had one, so I don't really miss it... but it does seem odd that Honda built a instrument pod with the ability to show current gear for the DCT model, and then went and made a new one for the manual without that feature.

trey

Honda seems to leave the gear indicator feature off for a reason, but I don't know what that reason is. For example, on a Goldwing 1800, the signals are all there in the wiring harness that sends gear info to the ECM. It's easy to tap off of the connector to tie in an aftermarket gear indicator. Honda could have done it easily, but chose not to. Honda had gear indicators 20 years ago, then took them away.

At first I thought it might be nice to have an indicator on the manual NC700X, but after riding it a couple thousand miles I see no need for it.

Greg

Honda seems to leave the gear indicator feature off for a reason, but I don't know what that reason is. For example, on a Goldwing 1800, the signals are all there in the wiring harness that sends gear info to the ECM. It's easy to tap off of the connector to tie in an aftermarket gear indicator. Honda could have done it easily, but chose not to. Honda had gear indicators 20 years ago, then took them away.

At first I thought it might be nice to have an indicator on the manual NC700X, but after riding it a couple thousand miles I see no need for it.

Greg

I thought I wanted one when I first got my NCX also, now not so much.

Last edited:
Is there a way to enable the Gear indicator or is it totally missing from our dashboard instruments anyway?
I am not using one, but having one sometimes could be useful.
Sometimes I cruise at 5th gear, not even realising it, coz it is so smooth....

Greg

At least 28 years that I know of. My 85 Sabre had one and the 84 was identical except for the color.

Is there a way to enable the Gear indicator or is it totally missing from our dashboard instruments anyway?
I am not using one, but having one sometimes could be useful.
Sometimes I cruise at 5th gear, not even realising it, coz it is so smooth....

That will be very interesting!!!

It looks like the NCX and the NCXD share the same LCD panel, with the indicator disabled in the X. If you look at the panel from the correct angle, you can see that the indicator segments are there. I don't know if the harness has the signals incoming, nor if the controller on the display has the capability to be modified for that purpose. Maybe the service manual harbors some clues...

It looks like the NCX and the NCXD share the same LCD panel, with the indicator disabled in the X. If you look at the panel from the correct angle, you can see that the indicator segments are there. I don't know if the harness has the signals incoming, nor if the controller on the display has the capability to be modified for that purpose. Maybe the service manual harbors some clues...

I will send you a present if you can find out and enable this without any additional parts.
:p

I dont think you will need a gear indicator as you will soon know with the low rev kick in.
it only on high revving engines is when the gear indi comes in handy.

theres plenty on Ebay, OK it will need a double sided sticky to mount it..
very cheap...
digital gear indicator in Motorcycle Parts & Accessories | eBay

For USA Guy's
digital gear indicator | eBay

cheap they are,, just had a gl1800 in with 17 error codes and would not run. came in on a wrecker. after spending alot of time on this bike and not finding any problems, other than all the error codes. i looked as to what is not stock on the bike?? the gear position led indacator that was install by someone. unplugged it all the codes went away and the bike started up fine.. some of the after market parts are very cheap and can cause alot of problems, like this one and was expensive for the customer..

Back