• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Trip to Work

biggiemac

Reaction score
Visit site
image.jpg

30 degrees this morning, but oh what a wonderful ride! First time taking the new bike to the office!

View attachment 12650

30 degrees this morning, but oh what a wonderful ride! First time taking the new bike to the office!
6.jpgHowdy from Texas!

smileytexan.jpg

Saw you are from Utah. I was in Salt Lake in March 1997 on my bike, going to a lightspeed computer class at Bell & Howell, when Utah had the worst blizzard they had seen in March in years. The first morning it was 70 degrees, the next morning all I could see on my bike was the handlebars. The complete bike was covered in the hotel parking lot with snow. I never saw that much snow in such a short time ever. Never forget that March RIDE!

Looks like you were first at work this morning.

00.jpg

Last edited:
The more you ride it to work the more you'll enjoy the ease of getting around. My NC is almost stricky used to commutte to work. I will choose it over my Jeep any day of the week. Even the rainy ones.

You are a brave soul - it was 7 degrees this morning in my neck of the woods. No way I'm riding until it warms up significantly :)
Glad it was a great ride in! Enjoy & stay safe!

Awesome. I bought my NC yesterday and rode all over last night, but it was too cold for me this morning.

People look at me like I'm crazy. Just this morning someone told me a must be a "glutton for punishment". It was 32F and raining. If you have a good suit you won't feel the cold or the wet and you still have a great time riding.

Everyones different though. Can't fault anyone who doesn't like to ride in crappy weather and doesn't feel comfortable in it.

March in SLC can be crazy! Yup, the parking lot was empty today, most folks show up later in the AM.

View attachment 12653Howdy from Texas!

View attachment 12654

Saw you are from Utah. I was in Salt Lake in March 1997 on my bike, going to a lightspeed computer class at Bell & Howell, when Utah had the worst blizzard they had seen in March in years. The first morning it was 70 degrees, the next morning all I could see on my bike was the handlebars. The complete bike was covered in the hotel parking lot with snow. I never saw that much snow in such a short time ever. Never forget that March RIDE!

Looks like you were first at work this morning.

I am trying to adjust to a new routine on the bike. I carry a laptop to work, so keys and wallet in a new place etc. I did get a Fly Terra Trek II, it kept me warm on the way to work. I am not so sure my confidence is up for rain just yet!

The more you ride it to work the more you'll enjoy the ease of getting around. My NC is almost stricky used to commutte to work. I will choose it over my Jeep any day of the week. Even the rainy ones.

I am trying to adjust to a new routine on the bike. I carry a laptop to work, so keys and wallet in a new place etc. I did get a Fly Terra Trek II, it kept me warm on the way to work. I am not so sure my confidence is up for rain just yet!

Are you planning on getting any panniers or a top case? The top case is where I carry my laptop. Lots of space and dry. Once I get to work the laptop comes out and the helmet and suit go in. Lots of ideas here on making commutting easy.

Last edited:
Are you planning on getting any panniers or a top case? The top case is where I carry my laptop. Lots of space and dry. Once I get to work the laptop comes out and the helemt and suit go in. Lots of ideas here on making commutting easy.
I agree with Serge, for commuting a top case is great. When I commute I have to also carry hard hat, steel toes and other stuff so often have side case or something on back seat as well. The closest mill I support is 65 miles away.

I just won an ebay auction for the OEM side panniers. I will need to pickup the mounting hardware etc. Did you get the OEM topcase?

Are you planning on getting any panniers or a top case? The top case is where I carry my laptop. Lots of space and dry. Once I get to work the laptop comes out and the helmet and suit go in. Lots of ideas here on making commutting easy.

I just won an ebay auction for the OEM side panniers. I will need to pickup the mounting hardware etc. Did you get the OEM topcase?

Somebody on here had some OEM mounting stuff for sale. I thought. Let me look around. I have the OEM panniers and top case.

Edit - Lord La La has side cases and mounting hardware for sale. He may not want to sell the mouting hardware seperate but you could ask.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/5474-question-re-honda-oem-sidecases.html

Last edited:

What was the description of the panniers on eBay? Sometimes people sell them with the brackets. If not you will need all three sets of Honda brackets: the rear carrier, the rear carrier/saddlebag mount brackets and the saddlebag support brackets. Since you will have all the oem brackets, the oem top box is a no brainer. I have had my luggage for three months and use the top case every day, this weekend will be the first time I will actually need the panniers. The big 48l box is so much more convenient than the two panniers.

Procaliber is the place a lot of people get the OEM accessories from If you can't find used. They will likely be cheaper than eBay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The description noted that I would need the following:

Requires Saddlebag Support Brackets (08L73-MGS-A30) and Rear Carrier Saddlebag Mount Brackets (08L74-MGS-A30) to install.

Is this not the case?

What was the description of the panniers on eBay? Sometimes people sell them with the brackets. If not you will need all three sets of Honda brackets: the rear carrier, the rear carrier/saddlebag mount brackets and the saddlebag support brackets. Since you will have all the oem brackets, the oem top box is a no brainer. I have had my luggage for three months and use the top case every day, this weekend will be the first time I will actually need the panniers. The big 48l box is so much more convenient than the two panniers.

Procaliber is the place a lot of people get the OEM accessories from If you can't find used. They will likely be cheaper than eBay.

At minimum you will need those brackets, however, the Rear Carrier Saddlebag Mounting Brackets will just be sticking out the back unless you get the Rear Carrier (08L72-MGS-A30) installed. Ascetically Honda designed the Rear Carrier to be a part of the brackets and it may look odd if you don't have it.

The Honda site has a close up of the brackets on the bike: 2012 NC700X Accessories - Honda Genuine Accessories - Honda Powersports

Click on each of the different part numbers and you will see the closeups.

Also, here is the link to the Procaliber discount site:
2012 Honda NC700X Honda Accessories Cargo | Pro Caliber

The description noted that I would need the following:

Requires Saddlebag Support Brackets (08L73-MGS-A30) and Rear Carrier Saddlebag Mount Brackets (08L74-MGS-A30) to install.

Is this not the case?

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

At minimum you will need those brackets, however, the Rear Carrier Saddlebag Mounting Brackets will just be sticking out the back unless you get the Rear Carrier (08L72-MGS-A30) installed. Ascetically Honda designed the Rear Carrier to be a part of the brackets and it may look odd if you don't have it.

The Honda site has a close up of the brackets on the bike: 2012 NC700X Accessories - Honda Genuine Accessories - Honda Powersports

Click on each of the different part numbers and you will see the closeups.

Also, here is the link to the Procaliber discount site:
2012 Honda NC700X Honda Accessories Cargo | Pro Caliber

Since you will have all the oem brackets, the oem top box is a no brainer. I have had my luggage for three months and use the top case every day, this weekend will be the first time I will actually need the panniers. The big 48l box is so much more convenient than the two panniers.

I do agree that the top box is more convenient than the panniers but I use all three. The left side pannier holds a can of chain oil and a first aid kit. The right side holds my suit pants. The right side is easier to open and close since the bike is leaning to the left. The top box holds a couple pair of gloves, helmet, and heavy suit jacket. Personally I could not go without the panniers. There is no way I could fit everything in the top box and support my daily needs during the winter.

Basically I'm saying I agree. You'll really want a top box.

I have the luxury of having a large locker at work to put all my gear in otherwise I would be in the same boat trying to get my jacket, pants, and boots in the panniers. So far 99% of my riding has been commuting, however this weekend the wife and I are taking our first motorcycle only vacation, so definitely need all the luggage space this weekend.

I think I may have jumpped at the side luggage a bit quickly. Another forum member is helping with getting the correct brackets, hopefully at a good price! The top case just seems like more $$ than the deal I found on the side cases, but again I think I could be wrong.

I do agree that the top box is more convenient than the panniers but I use all three. The left side pannier holds a can of chain oil and a first aid kit. The right side holds my suit pants. The right side is easier to open and close since the bike is leaning to the left. The top box holds a couple pair of gloves, helmet, and heavy suit jacket. Personally I could not go without the panniers. There is no way I could fit everything in the top box and support my daily needs during the winter.

Basically I'm saying I agree. You'll really want a top box.

Back