• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First impressions: new Madstad 20" windshield

GoRovers

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday's 121-mile ride from Yorba Linda to Lake Elsinore and back was the first test of my new 20" Madstad windshield. After experimenting with quite a few heights and angles, my overall verdict: good, but not great. Bonus: I can finally hear the nice sound of the 2016 exhaust!

Depending on the height/angle combination, I managed to reduce buffeting, wind noise and bug splatter, but not all at the same time. I'm 6'0" (174lbs) with 32-inch inseam, and tend to sit forward on the saddle with knees touching sides of the frunk. My favorite position was 80% low and mid-angled back toward rider. Wind and buffeting were greatly reduced, however my helmet received a fair amount of bug splatter. When I raised the shield (and played with different angles) the splatter was reduced but (at 65 mph) the wind rushing in below the Madstad was forcefully directly at my chest / neck (which found its way up into my Nolan helmet, irritating my eyes).

I'm wondering, if I exchange the 20" for a 22", a taller version would reduce the gap between the bottom of the shield and the top of the headlight. Here's the Madstad in the low, mid-angle position:

Elsinore-031217c-w550.jpg

Elsinore-031217d-w1200.jpg

I don't know how Madstad is mounting the shields on the new brackets, but on the old ones they consistently mounted the shields too high, IMO. I ordered my 20 inch shield un-drilled and mounted it 1 3/4 inches lower than Madstad would have done. I look over the shield at the low position. All the air blows over the top of my helmet.

So, if you decide to go to a 22 inch, you might drill it 2 inches higher, so the shield sits 2 inches lower. This will give you the same upper coverage but close off that bottom gap that directs wind at your neck. Even if you mount it lower than stock, you'll still have plenty of height if/when you raise it on the sliding brackets

If you want to try a 22 inch screen, let me know. I'm in Buena Park. I have a 20inch screen with a deflector that I use time to time as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and another side note, I wish madstad windshield came without predrilled holes. Just a pattern would be nice with recommended range so we can customize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and another side note, I wish madstad windshield came without predrilled holes. Just a pattern would be nice with recommended range so we can customize.
Just tell Madstad to mark with a pen where they would normally drill the holes, but don't have them drilled. They will accommodate.

Your two comments are similar and true:

...Madstad consistently mounted the shields too high...I ordered my 20 inch shield un-drilled and mounted it 1 3/4 inches lower than Madstad would have done. I look over the shield at the low position. All the air blows over the top of my helmet.

In addition to installation simplicity for non-mechanics like me, perhaps Madstad prefers pre-drilled holes to reduce liability if someone drills/mounts in a way that reduces windshield integrity.

The air flow gap below the Madstad shield certainly reduces cockpit buffeting. For 9 years I rode a 2007 GoldWing GL1800 with factory adjustable windshield, and despite the vent louvers in the center, the cockpit could get very noisy. With a "Madstad gap" the 'Wing ride would have been better.

Thank you, Kumatae, for the 22" try-out ride offer!

I drilled a new set of holes in my 20" Madstad to move it about 2" lower, it really seemed to help with the buffeting.

I found some plastic grommets at the local hardware store to fill the original holes.

I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam

I'm 6'2" and use the 22" with no buffeting at all, it may require an angle adjustment based on the kind of ride (<60mph, >60mph) but I sometimes do it while riding when I get on the highway if I'm going to ride there for some time (I know, doesn't sound safe, but never felt in danger doing it, and using only one hand)

To me the 22" Madstad has been one of the most significant improvement in riding the NC. I hesitated to get the 22", but no regret. Rode 12K+ miles with it around the states between Oct. and Dec. with it. And despite the size, it looks pretty good to me.

IMG_2278.jpg

I'm 6'2" and use the 22" with no buffeting at all, it may require an angle adjustment based on the kind of ride (<60mph, >60mph) but I sometimes do it while riding when I get on the highway if I'm going to ride there for some time (I know, doesn't sound safe, but never felt in danger doing it, and using only one hand)

To me the 22" Madstad has been one of the most significant improvement in riding the NC. I hesitated to get the 22", but no regret. Rode 12K+ miles with it around the states between Oct. and Dec. with it. And despite the size, it looks pretty good to me.

View attachment 32742

I'm about the same height and I am considering the 22" but concerned how it will look - like oversized.... any chance you could put a few more pics up from different angles and the side ?

not bad at all - very nice bike! is the screen in the highest position by any chance? also are you looking just above it an inch or two line of sight?

IMG_0076.jpg

22" light gray.

I don't think it looks oversized. A really dark screen might look odd.

I'm 6'1" with a 22" Madstad. The only buffeting that I get is from me leaving my visor on my helmet open. It just happens to catch some of the airflow and bounce my head a little.

I'm 6'1" with a 22" Madstad. The only buffeting that I get is from me leaving my visor on my helmet open. It just happens to catch some of the airflow and bounce my head a little.

Mine is the same way. I'm glad I got the 22" I'm 6'2" and it does its best at the lowest setting and as far forward as I can get it. Made a world of difference in my commute.

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

It appears I'm the only shorty (5'6") on this post made up of tall riders!

I bought the 20" initially then decided it wasn't right after 1-2 rides and I did try all the positions and angles. Madstad was great and I only had to pay the difference between the 20" and 22" (round $10?) plus the shipping. :eek:

I still look over the shield so this means more of the windshield is below the dash but it's quieter now.

[Is that 5'6" in heels or flats]

That's a towering 5'6" in my ankle breaker, disco boots from the 80s. :D

[Is that 5'6" in heels or flats]

That's a towering 5'6" in my ankle breaker, disco boots from the 80s. :D

Encouraging news, I was thinking between a 22" MADSTAD Light Grey or a Puig with the VISOR CLIP ON extender. I'm 6 feet and 1 inch.

It appears I'm the only shorty (5'6") on this post made up of tall riders!

I bought the 20" initially then decided it wasn't right after 1-2 rides and I did try all the positions and angles. Madstad was great and I only had to pay the difference between the 20" and 22" (round $10?) plus the shipping. :eek:

I still look over the shield so this means more of the windshield is below the dash but it's quieter now.

This is useful information. I'm just a tad taller, and I want to replace my Puig with something better. I was trying to decide between the 18" and 20", so I think I'll go for the 22" since I can probably look over the top.

This is useful information. I'm just a tad taller, and I want to replace my Puig with something better. I was trying to decide between the 18" and 20", so I think I'll go for the 22" since I can probably look over the top.

I have heard this several times, but I question it. I am 6' and there was no way I could look over the 22" it in it's lowest position unless it was redrilled to sit lower than normal. At best, it split my view. The 20" does allow me to see over it, but it is still prominent in my lower line of sight. I'll go home, sit on the bike with the center stand and shoot a photo straight out.

Back