• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Honda NC700X recall?

I forgot about owner link. Just logged on to my account to see my old Aero 750 as my current bike!

I'm still waiting for a chain to arrive. But, I'm going to call the number listed on Owner Link to see if they will reimburse me if I have the chain replaced elsewhere (my weekend trip on the NCX is in jeopardy).

Mine was one the the "RK" brands (no Japan markings). Dealer order it for me last Friday and it came in on Thrusday. I just happend to be there the day it came in so he got me right in and replaced it the same day. The replacement was a DID "Japan" chain.

WGW

A question for those who Honda have changed the chain: were the sprockets changed as well?

I realize we're well versed on this recall by now, but here's an short article that spells it out pretty well:

Honda NC700X Recall Expands to US - Motorcycle.com News | Motorcycle.com News

As we expected, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced a recall on the 2012 Honda NC700X. The recall announcement comes a week after the NC700X and the NC700S were recalled in Canada.

As with the Transport Canada recall, the problem is a lack of proper heat treatment on the Honda NC700X’s drive chain. The outer plates on some chains did not get the right heat treatment and, as a result, the plate may exceed its hardness limits and may fracture during use.

According to documents released by NHTSA, Honda received its first report of an NC700 model’s drive chain breaking on March 27 in Belgium. Honda sent the chain from the initial claim to supplier RK and in investigation was opened. Meanwhile, more reports came in to Honda’s subsidiaries in Germany, Spain, France and the U.K.

RK determined the initial chain had a delayed fracture on an outer plate on May 28, after the third broken chain was reported. Honda sent the broken chains to RK and the supplier determined June 19 the plates exceed the applicable hardness specification. Honda representatives visited RK on July 5 to review the company’s heat treatment process and testing. In total, Honda received nine reports of broken chains on NC700 models, all from Europe.

Honda dealers will inspect the drive chains on affected units and, if necessary, replace chains with ones that received the specified heat treatment. The recall campaign affects 1,542 units in the U.S.

[Source: NHTSA]

I just received my letter from Honda Australia and it includes us aussies too!!! My chain has RK and thats all, so i guess i'm up for a new chain. Sweet :)

It's a pleasure to say that, finally, the recall has been started in Spain as well. Mine has a RK "non Japan", I got a call and it will be replaced. I have been a little bit nervous with this, finally it seems the fix is coming

What I don't like at all is that I only get the chain, not the entire kit including sprockets. Having almost 8000 km in the odometer, best practices says to always replace the entire kit. Honda, listen, you're not doing it the right way. I'm disapointed

Dealer was in touch today and my S in the UK getting the RK chain swapped on Friday. I have been holding off doing longer trips just in case but other than that riding as i normally would anyway.

RK chain here. Dealer says they need to keep my bike for half a week till they can get a new one for me. So I'll miss several days of beautiful fall riding. Better than breaking it!

Mine has the RK stamp as well. I'm going to wait for the recall letter though. May as well get as much mileage as I can out of the existing chain.

There is a recall on the chain for the safety of your life. Why would you continue to ride it? Do you play Russian roulette also?

My friend played Russian roulette, he only lost once!

Russian Roulette - YouTube

Back